Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the going price for getting your boat polished, mine is starting to look not so hot, and who in the area does this. i remember a while back a few discussions on this, but i couldnt find them.
******* out

·
Registered
693 Posts
i did above the beltline stripe on my free drifter by hand with mothers aluminum polish. what a son of a beech that was! you have to rub with the grain or it looks like "S". looks awsome, shiny on top and natural below the stripe. i tried with a buffer too but that kinda sucked. you have to do about ten inch sections at a time and blend in the next section. if that stuff dries too much it is biotch to get it off. i was wondering who does that also. i want above the beltline to look like and american airlines jet. i work at boeing so i might have to poke around to find out what they use. id pay around three hundred bucks to get my transome and above my stripe done. im a couple quarts low on elbow grease

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've not used them and it would be a good drive, but there's a place right next to the Camas Marina that does boat polishing. Check out polishyourboat.com or call them at 360-835-7998.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Give Flitz metal polish a try. Its more of a cleaner that a polish or try using jewlers rouge,use it with a buffer and cutting wheels,that will sure shine it up.After that a good coating of carnuba wax.

·
Banned
481 Posts
3m heavy duty rubbing compond and lots of time will do the trick. I used a compressor driven buffer (air). The secret is to let the aluminum oxide build up on the pad, this will help with the initial coarse work to be done and than swich to a smoother pad to finish up. Warnning, it takes lots of time no matter how coarse the compond is that you are using. Follow up with 'Shark hide" or you will have to redo the job in short order.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info guys, i checked out the polishyourboat.com site, i think i will be giving those guys a call when i get home

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
i had mine done by a place called Proflections in Auburn. He did a great job, but getting him to actually start the job was tough.

ive heard good things about Polishyourboat.com as well. Make sure you put Sharkhide on after you get i done, or all will be a waste of money in about 20 trips... less if you go in the salt..

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oly,
if you dont mind me asking, how much did they charge you? your boat looks awsome, the pictures on polishyourboat.com, dont look any thinglike that

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Olybirds said:
i had mine done by a place called Proflections in Auburn. He did a great job, but getting him to actually start the job was tough.

ive heard good things about Polishyourboat.com as well. Make sure you put Sharkhide on after you get i done, or all will be a waste of money in about 20 trips... less if you go in the salt..
That is absolutely gorgeous! I did my boat by hand :eek: and then put sharkhide on it as I always do. It should stay for another year

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
they guy charged me $650. But he wasnt sure what he was getting himself into, since he had never done a boat before... So after it was all said and done, he told me if he was to do another boat he'd charge more since it was more time consuming than he gave me the bid for. I had both sides done, but not the offshore bracket, since i didnt want to be blinded by the sun reflected off it.

and your right it was Bling Bling... Looked just like Chrome. BUT.. Once I put on the Sharkshide, it really clouded up the polish. If I take off the Sharkhide, it looks just like that still, but with the sharkhide on its not quite so "perfect" looking. You can still see your reflection but its not chrystal clear like it shows in the pictures..

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Olybirds said:
... Looked just like Chrome. BUT.. Once I put on the Sharkshide, it really clouded up the polish. If I take off the Sharkhide, it looks just like that still, but with the sharkhide on its not quite so "perfect" looking. You can still see your reflection but its not chrystal clear like it shows in the pictures..
Assuming that you applied your Sharkhide by hand I wonder if it would be less cloudy if it were sprayed on ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was skeptical about this stuff until I used it. http://www.metalwax.com/ First you use an acid? based cleaner that wipes out corrosion right now! just by wiping it on and rinsing. It leaves the surface sort of satiny and dull. Then you follow it up with the Metalwax which you basically just wipe on and wipe off, leaving a mirror-like finish and a protective wax. What I found amazing was the lack of buffing to achieve such a shine.. I was told that this the stuff they use on those dump-trailers that you see on the road that are mirror-like.I did our entire 22' Intruder in a day no problem and it was pretty easy on the elbows, but we use it pretty much exclusively in the salt, but I'd say the finish was pretty much toast by the end of the season. But, as easy as it was to do,doing it once a year isn't that big of a deal...

Silverhammer

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
SeaRanger21 said:
Olybirds said:
... Looked just like Chrome. BUT.. Once I put on the Sharkshide, it really clouded up the polish. If I take off the Sharkhide, it looks just like that still, but with the sharkhide on its not quite so "perfect" looking. You can still see your reflection but its not chrystal clear like it shows in the pictures..
Assuming that you applied your Sharkhide by hand I wonder if it would be less cloudy if it were sprayed on ?
I did wipe mine on. I tried to spray it with a paint sprayer, but it clogged my sprayer. I think the Pro's do spray it on. Tup:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Do you guys ever worry about the chrome finish affecting the fishing?...Like say on rivers where the water isn't very colored?...thought maybe there might be too much glare.....Thats the only thing holding me back.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
chopper said:
Do you guys ever worry about the chrome finish affecting the fishing?...Like say on rivers where the water isn't very colored?...thought maybe there might be too much glare.....Thats the only thing holding me back.
I havnt seen any negative effects fishing wise. I had a pretty good year in the salt for salmon and Tuna out of my shinny boat. Its a prop, so It doesnt see much time in the shallow water... Although Bob Barthlow (Rivers NW Guide service) polishes his Alumaweld. He doesnt seem to have any trouble putting fish in his boat either!! Tup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts