Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fiberglass pilot house boat with stainless bow rails
-Looking too add rocket launcher, radar mount, and cockpit rails. -Found a nice guy who can fab./build some up for me, but I want to get the board's feedback on any pro's or cons, finish recommendations, potential performance or maintenance issues,, etc... for this.
-I don't recall seeing too much aluminum like this on fiberglass boats, and maybe there is a reason why?
-Outboard powered, trailer boat, dual battery, 95% scotty electric downrigger trolling in the salt.

Thanks, Everyone!

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Your only trouble will come if/where aluminum and stainless touch each-other.

I'd go for a polished finish on the aluminum, then protect it with Sharkhide metal finish protector.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I'd find out if the nice guy can weld stainless also and save myself the extra work of trying to keep the aluminum looking good. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Go with stainless (316), esp if the boat spends any time moored. The aluminum will pit and loose its finish over time. The stainless will last a lifetime with just some polishing once or twice a year, and if it does stain you can bring it back with polish. Once the aluminum is pitted, there is no repair, just replacement.

Stacy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts