Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just informed that if I do in fact graduate this spring, I'm getting a trip to alaska to fish via the parents. They just told me to plan it out and get it all set up and it was mine. I thought, sweet!, i'll just go online and book a trip. NOT!! I don't know where to start. I've been looking online for days now and can't make up my mind. I know I want to fish Nushagak for sure, but i was also thinking of trying to fish the Kenai, Kasilof and possible a day or half day out on the salt. I know these trips must book up incredibly fast so I wanted to get it booked ASAP. I would graduate mid June so I couldn't go till after that. I was hoping you guys might be able to point me in a general direction or give me some pointers. I don't know if they are already booked up or if fishing multiple rivers is even feasible.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm taking my group of buddies to the Kenai on June 8th. We do it every year and always have a good time.

You wanna tag along with us you are welcome.

We do 3 days on the Kasilof or Kenai for Kings and 2 days for Halibut on Cook Inlet.

oldguy

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
oldguy said:
I'm taking my group of buddies to the Kenai on June 8th. We do it every year and always have a good time.

We do 3 days on the Kasilof or Kenai for Kings and 2 days for Halibut on Cook Inlet.

oldguy
Now that's an offer!!!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
We've fished the Kenai area the past 4-5 years and have had decent success, but it depends on what you want.

Reds on the Russian is a walk in and you can do it without guide. It is not so much a zipper lip, but if the sockeye are in the river, it is a great day. Make sure you get some Coho flies off of ebay as you cannot use corkies and the hooks have to be a certain way.

If you want the ability to keep a Kenai world class king, think after July 1. Before then there is a slot limit where you need to release (I believe) 44-55 inch kings. After July 1, you can keep them.

The Nugashak is supposed to be a kick in the pants if the runs are in. Not as big of fish as the Kenai, but supposedly "thousands" of them where you can catch 20+ in a day. We were supposed to fly in last year, but the run was behind, so never made it. We're going to try again next year.

I would recommend Halibut as well. Not the most fun of fishing as you pretty much just drop it to the bottom, wait for the fish to hook itself and then reel it up. Great table fare, though.

All of the above you would fly into Anchorage.

At the Sportsaman's show, however, I saw a booth for $1700 for self-guided fishing out of their lodge. They provide food, gear, etc. All of this for 1 week of fishing. That is a tough price to beat. No rental car required or nothing. With airfare to Petersburgh you're probably looking at about $2100. This is bay fishing and their website is http://www.greenrockslodge.com I do not know anything about them other than I pulled a flyer.

Our guide (if you want the Kenai area) is Gary Kernan and he can set you up with whatever you want to fish for. Cabin, Kenai, Kasilof, Nugashak. He can talk to you about a whole trip. his website is: http://www.alaskafishon.com. If you go with him, tell him you want Tony's cabins with Alaska Lodging & Adventures. Free vaccuum pack, only you pay for the bags. And, he is a hell of a nice guy.

We usually try to mix it up. We never have really hit the silvers hard, but hear there is a hell of a silver run. Sockeye on the Russian is a good time and you are likely to see some big brown bears.

Any questions, feel free to PM me as we know of some good walk-in places, as well.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oldguy said:

oldguy
Dang!! That is a heck of an offer and i would jump all over it, but I'm still in college till around June 16th.

I have been researching more today. Looks like the Kenai River only allows you to retain 1 king per season, the Nushagak is 4 kings per season. Also the Kenai doesn't allow you to keep catching and releasing after you've tagged your fish, nushagak does. My main goal is to catch tons of big burly kings and get a shot at a 50+, but bringing fish back is definitely part of it.
At this point I'm kinda thinking 4 or 5 days on the Nush' and then maybe doing one or two days of fishing on the Kenai/Kasilof and 1 day on the salt.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I fished the Nushagak a few years ago. It was awesome. I fished with Bob Tomam's King camp, I would highly recommend them. http://www.bobtoman.com/ An average day on the river produced 100+ kings to the boat.

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would check out Bob Ball.. I have heard nothing but positive things .. Plus he and family are just good people.. They offer combo trips of anything you can imagine or want.. I've fished with him on the OP dude knows his game... next year when I make it up there it will be with him

my 2 cents

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I do a self-guided trip to the Kenai peninsula every year for 10 days. June 10 to the 20th. I fish kings in the Kasilof, Kenai and Anchor, reds in the Russian and halibut outta Deep Creek.

Airfare, accomodations (30' fully stocked trailer 10 min walk to the Kasilof) rental car, gas, license, food and booze add up to just over a grand. 20 hrs of daylight and no real night to fish my brains out... PRICELESS!

If you're gonna do the Nush first... try to book the first week of July if you can. Kings will be between runs on the Kenai and Kasilof at that time so combining the trips will not only be expensive... but probably not worth it. I'd take either or.

If you want a chance at a big king and lots of action on sockeye... go to Soldotna around the 20th of July.

·
Registered
712 Posts
WOW.. a free trip... That is awesome, i saw that you want to go to the NUSH.
Well that is were i go and several others on this Board.
You can expect during the peek time to land 20-40 a day per person so if there is anything i can answer let me know.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If you want to stay at a resort you should check out Tim Berg's place. They have guided trips on both the Kenai/Kasilof and trips for Halibut in the salt as well...They have a new lodge opening this year also

I can give you Tim's sons number if you would like to call him an ask about availability and other questions. Hes a cool guy with all the info you need. I added the URL to his site as well

http://www.alaskanfishing.com/

·
Registered
606 Posts
Green Rocks out of Petersburg was mentioned earlier. If you are interested in self-guided, I've stayed down the beach from them at Island Point Lodge. Great accomodations, great food, Fish Everywhere! Primarily a salt water fishery with several rivers a short boat ride away. We caught silvers, steelhead, and halibut.

Free trip, WOW! What a great graduation present.

·
Registered
165 Posts
IMHO, the Kenai is the most overrated King fishery in the world. Super crowded, super regulated, and the king fishing isn't really all that great. It is really not the Alaska wilderness experience most of us dream of. So many people fish there because you can drive there from AK's most populated city and everyone is chasing the one in a million dream of catching the next world record.

Catch lots of kings and have lots of fun, go to the Nush or just about any other place but the Kenai. I may be a bit biased since i guide on the Nush, but i can tell you that I had several clients last year who used to fish the Kenai who are never going back now that they fished the Nushagak.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
No company S4... I arrange it all on my own and a couple of buddies usually go with me.

I reserve a trailer that is there permanently at Crooked Cr. RV park on the Kasilof. 8 nights - $400
Round trip airfare Seattle to Anchorage - $350 or so.
Rental car 9 days - $450
1/2 day guided trip on the Kenai $135 a piece. I do this just to see if I can land a big king... I don't keep them. My biggest so far taped out to right around 63 pounds.

A halibut charter is about $100 a piece. I don't do this every year... it kinda just depends.

If you split the trailer, car, gas and food costs a couple of ways it usually ends up averaging $1000 to $1100 or so.

License unfortunately is kinda pricey 'cause it really jumps from 7 day to 14 day. If you only fish 7 days... which I sometimes do... it's $85 right now.

The rest is all bank fishing and it's all really good. Weather is usually 60 to 70 degrees and partly cloudy then... but it does rain occasionally. Never very much though.

As said above... a wilderness experience it definitely ain't. But I've been doin' it long enough now that I know how to avoid crowds somewhat and still catch plenty of fish. Tup:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Webo,
where did you find roundtrip airfair for $350??? I've been looking on Alaska, Expedia, Cheap tickets, orbitz and the cheapest ticket I can find to Dillingham is $900 roundtrip. And the ticket from Anchorage to Dillingham isn't that much?? Looks like the buddies I planned on going with weren't thinking it would be that much so I may be scaling back now. Tdown:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
That's the problem Mitch. Airfare to Dillingham is WAY more expensive than to Anchorage.

I've been flying Continental Seattle to Anchorage the last few years and it's been right around $350. Continental doesn't fly to Dillingham but Alaska and Penn Air do. I never use the big travel sites either. Booking direct with the Airlines you're gonna use gets you cheaper fares.

http://www.alaskaair.com

http://www.continental.com

http://www.penair.com

I find fares to be cheapest for Alaska right around the end of March to early April. Keep checking though.

You do know that the Kenai and Kasilof are a 3 to 4 hour DRIVE from Anchorage... NOT in Bristol Bay right?

That's why it's so much cheaper for me to fly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Id spend a week on the Nush, I guided up there a few years ago and cant wait to go back, when the numbers are in, 100 fish days are COMMON, not the exception... hell last year was a bad bad year for that river and 20-25 fish days were common, I have a buddy that works for HJM up there, they have the best camp on the river and the best boats/gear... you cant go wrong, but it will cost you, and as said before tomans is nice, I talked with him quite a bit when I was up there.. man that guy knows his stuff...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts