Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who do you tthink will win the nominations??

According to Fox Romney will not win as he has slipped so far behind.

Checking a few channels out they say McCain is doing well and that will not make the Party Grandees very happy.

Huckabee is putting up a strong fight and splitting the vote in the States he does not win.

Clinton/Obama is still too close to call.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Sir John, sometimes I get the feeling that you take a great deal of pleasure any time there is anything at all negative in the news when it comes to the good old USA.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Huckabee and Edwards will be bowing out soon. Both of them are done now.

Still leaves a list of "good grief's" however........ :shock:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
fishslave said:
Sir John, sometimes I get the feeling that you take a great deal of pleasure any time there is anything at all negative in the news when it comes to the good old USA.
What was so negative about SJ's post? conf:

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
SportJet said:
Huckabee and Edwards will be bowing out soon. Both of them are done now.

Still leaves a list of "good grief's" however........ :shock:
You are Kidding... :shock: Right?

Huckabee is beating Romney by an almost 2:1 margin and Romney is planning a reality pause in his campaign while he decides tomorrow if and how he might proceed.

It might be down to Huckabee versus McCain but McCain is winning over Romney and Huckabee combined by more than a 2:1 margin.

All that can be said is...

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Over here they are saying that Huck has made a very strong bid and although he is very weak in the States he did not win he is expected to stay the course for a few weeks yet.

Romney has taken a big dive and folks over here are wondering if he will pull out next week.

McCain has made big strides to getting the nomination.

Again this mornings verdict is that Obama/Clinton still too close to call.

What everyone is saying is that the turn out has been very high.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
My random thoughts - for what they are worth.

1. On the Dem side, we have the real possibility because of the "super delegates" of not having the nominee decided when the convention starts. It has not happened in my lifetime that we have had a brokered convention. That would be high political theater.

2. If you believe (as I do) that conservative talk radio is a net negative to the country, take heart. The big guns of Limbaugh and Hannity were rebuffed and rebuffed badly over Romney. This is now McCain's race to lose as he has more delegates than Romney and Huckabee combined.

3. Although it is very early, take a look at the turnout numbers in the primary states. The Dems are seriously energized and have about a 2 to 1 turnout lead on the GOP. This could spell real trouble for the GOP in November.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eddie I hope that it does not come down to " Super Delegates " as Bill will get a vote and we know who he will vote for. They should just count all the votes and then side with the winnner. " Super Delegates " should not get the vote as I regard that as un- democratic.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
SJ, that may be so, but the Democratic party rules state that 20% of the delegates will be super delegates, free to make their own choice (deals?). My guess is that since most of them are elected officials, they will put their finger in the air and make a decision based upon who they think will win in November. With so many states doing the caucus thing, a miniscule percentage selects who a states vote goes to so the super delegate thing is no less democratic than that.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
2. If you believe (as I do) that conservative talk radio is a net negative to the country, take heart. The big guns of Limbaugh and Hannity were rebuffed and rebuffed badly over Romney.
Guess that disproves you lefties theories that Rush and Shawn do all the thinking for the Repubs. Rush and Hannity took too long getting behind Romney and when they finally did McCain was too far ahead for it to matter. These people may not like McCain but they have a real hatred for the Clintons and if some do end up supporting her over McCain then in my eyes that just shows that selling books and ratings is more important then their core values. I guarnatee that McCain is closer to Conservative core values then either Obama or Hillary are.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Bonzo -

You might want to watch a different news channel if you believe Flopabee is really in this thing....

The Race for Delegates
Democrats Needed to Win = 2,025
CandidatePledgedSuperdels.Total
Clinton 783
Obama 709
Republicans Needed to Win = 1,191
CandidatePledgedUnpl. RNCTotal
McCain 559
Romney 265

Clearly McCain is the front runner and the GOP is now his race. The fact that Obama and Billary are now the indecided front runners for the Dems tells a whole different story. talk about divided
Huckabee 169

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The best the religous right can hope for is that McCain is rendered incapable and then maybe just maybe his votes will swing Hucks way. But with a Ma in her 90's there is not much hope of that.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
The final ticket. I wonder of the Dems believe in mixed marriage. Probably a sure winner if they could keep the family squabbles over economics rather than Willies philandering.

Suspect Huckabilly will get a vp offer from McCain. Help McCain's conservative rating a bit.

Romney's religion is his Achilles heel. NO bigotry here. lol

Keerist it's like looking at a pack of wild dogs and wondering if any can be broke to the trace.

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
I dunno...I think If McCain wins the nomination he'll choose Juliani as the Vice.

Huckabee is nothing but a spoiler in the race and I'm not talking about one that keeps the rubber on the road. That would be beneficial. Although very likable Hucks got absolutely no chance of winning nationally. As a matter of fact after his strong showing throughout the "bible belt" he was silent as a lamb and will most likely not win any more delegates especially on the west coast.

What happened last night even though McCain did well is, it showed that he is not as strong a candidate as the media has portrayed him to be. DBA hit the nail on the head. Conservative were too slow to illuminate McCain's record daily although those of us who pay attention already knew who and what he's about...

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
eddie said:
My random thoughts... If you believe (as I do) that conservative talk radio is a net negative to the country,.
Better get out the Vaseline. If Liberals who think like this get a hold of the reins we're gonna be gett'n screwed at every turn. Bend over America....Here come the judge... conf: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here was little old me thinking that the beloved one had installed all the judges he wanted on the benches.

Are you sure it is not the judges who will be bending over to kiss Hillay's or Obamas ar5e.

Sure will be fun to watch the beloved ones face after all the votes are in and counted.

Serious question, who ever wins on the Rep siide will they ask the beloved one to stand at their side when they are making their campaign speeches?????

Nobody wanted Tony around at our last Election, bet it is the same for the beloved one.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
There you go again SportJet... Trying to put words in someone elses mouth to argue against. You said that I said that Huckabee is really in this thing. I did not! What I said was that he will be the only one left if Romney drips out and that McCain was winning the Super Tuesday more than 2:1 against Romney and Huckabee combined.

In yesterday's vote, according to CBS the delegate tally so far is:

583 McCain
147 Huckabee
106 Romney
and 5 for Paul

With 182 delegates still left to count McCain is clearly the winner with over 69% of the delegates won so far.

Of the delegate coverage available I like the Clinton News Network the best. They estimate the total delegate count as follows:

Total / Pledged / Unpledged - Candidate
559 / 542 / 17 - McCain
265 / 256 / 9 - Romney
169 / 166 / 3 - Huckabee
16 / 16 / 0 Ron Paul

Again, McCain Is by far the winner even though he still only has a bit more than half of the votes needed to win the nomination.

He is ahead of Romney-Huckabee combined 559 to 434.

Sadly, if Huckabee who has absolutely no chance of winning drops out in the early polling at the convention or earlier it is unlikely that he will pledge his delegates to Romney. So McCain wins.

For the Dems, Obama is ahead of Clinton until you toss in the superdelegates (special interests).

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
For eddie and everyone here...

Here is a nice explanation of the "superdelegates" and the corruption of the Democratic Process itself - by the Democrats.

Hillary Clinton and the superdelegates - how Hillary's campaign goes beyond the voting booth and into the very power structure of the Democratic party itself.

The Democratic Party has 4,049 delegates scheduled for its convention.

Whoever wins needs 50% + 1, or 2,025 delegates. 3,253 of these delegates are up for grabs in the primary election voting process, but 796 are given to party leaders, insiders, advisors, and top contributors. These super-delegates can vote for whomever they like.

The process was instituted following the massive general election loss of George McGovern, a candidate popular with the progressive left who was then easily defeated by Nixon - who was actually seen as the moderate.

Hillary Leads in Superdelegates 2:1

You can't be friends with everyone in politics unless your ability to grant favors and influence is infinite. Its inevitable that Hillary won't win every single party super-delegate, but what has been counted so far indicates she has a huge lead within the party. Bill and Hillary have been supporting pillars of the Democratic party for decades now - since even before Bill took office in Washington D.C., they've played well within the system and supported their allies. Loyalty and seniority play into Hillary's huge superdelegate lead - remember, these are important attributes in unions and Democratic politics alike.

If the voting ties; Hillary wins

Bad news for Obama fans, but unless Hillary does something to anger the establishment of the party, there's no way they will abandon her and her husband's legendary fundraising abilities. Obama is making a big splash, and he's surely noted for fast advancement through the party ranks, but the Democrats still have a debt to repay the Clinton family for decades of service to the cause.

If Obama wins the Vote; Hillary can still win

Even if the super delegates aren't enough, Hillary could call on her majority of the superdelegates to re-instate the delegates from Michigan and Florida. She will easily be able to argue that these states are important to any party general election strategy - the party won't want to alienate them as early as the nominating convention.

Right now, Hillary's lead looks safe - and her campaign is a masterwork of utilizing party machinery. Say what you will about her policies, but Hillary knows how to win.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Bonzo, Happy Birthday to RWR. I did not like him as President but given the current climate of the GOP and the overall political rhetoric, I wish he were here.

The one thing that the explanation of super delegates left out is that they are not required to vote for the candidate that they are pledged to. If the polls indicate that only one of the candidates - Hillary or Obama will defeat the GOP nominee, I believe that you will see an exodus of super delegate votes to the poll leader. Certainly, the Clinton's fundraising abilities will be a prime consideration, but, if Hillary's negatives are too high, the votes will flow the other way. After all, what choice do the Clinton's have if the votes flow to Obama? They are not going to fundraise for the GOP and if they want to be relevant, they will swallow their pride and go forward on the Democratic side. I remember the way that Nixon climbed back into contention after losing the California Gubernotarial race in 1962. McCain has done the exact same thing to attain his current position. It's like war - if you lose a battle but live to fight another day, you can emerge victorious.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everybody talks about how old McCain is, including me. But just how old is Hillary??? The botox and face lift seems to make her look younger, not counting all that hair dye.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts