Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a new abu garcia c4-6001(i think) and i put new line on it today and it worked fine. but i was looking at it and started to play with it and the hadle is real tight now so i took it apart shook it nothing rattlin put it back to gether again and it still really tight... have any of you had this problem? and what should i do? if comes down to it i will return it. sick:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
yellowfintuna83 said:
i just bought a new abu garcia c4-6001(i think) and i put new line on it today and it worked fine. but i was looking at it and started to play with it and the hadle is real tight now so i took it apart shook it nothing rattlin put it back to gether again and it still really tight... have any of you had this problem? and what should i do? if comes down to it i will return it. sick:
try loosening the cast control knob. sometimes if it is too tight, it seems to pinch the spool. usually this is not a problem, since you can tighten or loosen the cast control knob as you please, without affecting how tightly/loosely the handle turns. Or, even try taking it apart, and reassembling.

The one time I ran into this problem, was when I took an abu apart to clean it. For some reason, I don't think I seated the parts precisely when I put it back together, and so the handle would crank tightly if I tightened up the cast control knob. I took it apart again and refitted everything...eventually, after a few take downs and put-togethers, I got the parts to fit right and the problem disappeared.

If Chum Man sees this posting, he can give better comments than mine.

If all else fails or if you don't want to deal with it, take it back for a replacement. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had my girl bring the reel to work so i could look at it more closely. what i found was the shaft that the big gear and the dics are on was jammed up. dont know why, but i lubed it and turned it this way and that and i loosened up so i put the reel back together and it SEEMS to be working ok, but i wont know un till i go try it on the water somewhere. thanks for the help, this is the first problem i have encountered with baitcasters so far. i have never owned a abu ambass before. this is only my 4th baitcaster reel, the other 3 i have had no problems as of yet.

thanks again
jon

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Some of the new Ambassadeurs are not as precise (made in China ?) as the reels of years past. I myself would be inclined to return it for another, hate to see it fail on you with the fish of a lifetime on. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it says made in sweden on it. but i think your right, ishould return it, but can i return it even though it has been taken apart and i messed with it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you paid more than $65 for your C4, I would try returning it. This week Joe's has a special on C4s: $79.95 plus a $15 rebate. I haven't seen them for less than that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts