Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won a Abu 6500C3 last year but haven't fished it yet. I haven't fished a ABU since the late 70's with a 5000D.
Is anyone on the board using this reel?
I'm thinking of using it for springers and fall kings. Would you consider that the right application for this reel?
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have one, use it for back up. A little big for steel, great for Kings, in fresh or salt. I own nothing but Abu Garcia's. I get suckered into other brands, trying to go along with the current fad, but always end up getting rid of them and going back to the Ambassadors.

·
Registered
946 Posts
It's a great real for springer's and fall king's...90% of my reel's are ABU ,I love um.. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I still own a couple ABUs solid reels that will take a beating ( atleast the older ones) mine are all pre 1980. I use mine for kings and one of my curados for steel , ho's and chum.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
good plug reels, saltwater reels, kings, even sturgeon if ya wanted a little big for steelies but i use them on my plug rods, infact i just bought a older new one for 50 bucks

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it should be the ticket for springers and kings.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Brian,

Eric Linde, Columbia River guide uses them for spingers, along with the line counter version and says they perform very well for him.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I found out the hard way several years ago when cleaning my ABUs. The drag assembly washers order has to be kept exactly in the same order, including the face-to-face matches of each washer, otherwise the drag will not perform smoohtly under a heavy drag setting. When cleaning - it's best to run a wire ty (string) thru the washers assebly.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I just love my abu baitcasters, I do prefer the lefty versions, but I have caught every species of salmon with them, and even a few dogfish (OK maybe some starfish too)!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts