Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just more proof that using race is a one way street in this country.

Thursday, March 20, 2008
Obama on WIP: My grandmother's a "typical white person"
This item has been changed/updated with new information...

We thought we heard this, but we wanted to go back and listen to the clip of Sen. Barack Obama on 610 WIP this morning to be sure.

610 WIP host Angelo Cataldi asked Obama about his Tuesday morning speech on race at the National Constitution Center in which he referenced his own white grandmother and her prejudice. Obama told Cataldi that "The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity, but that she is a typical white person. If she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know - there's a reaction in her that's been bred into our experiences that don't go away and sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society. We have to break through it. What makes me optimistic is you see each generation feeling less like that. And that's pretty powerful stuff"

We doubt this story will have legs, but wonder if Hillary Clinton referred to a "typical black person," would we ever hear the end of it?

UPDATE: We gave the Obama campaign a chance to respond to this post. "Barack Obama said specifically that he didn't believe his grandmother harbored any racial animosity, but that her fears were understandable and typical of those often shared by her generation," said Obama's PA spokesman Sean Smith, who added that Grandma is 86-years-old. He might have meant that specifically, but that isn't what he said, especially as he spoke of his grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, in the present tense. The Clinton campaign has not yet returned our request for comment on Obama's remarks. We aren't holding our breath for a Clinton comment.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
IBCNUL8R said:
No way....did this really happen? :eek: :oops:
Barack Obama: 'My Grandmother is a Typical White Person’

G

·
So tell me. What are your thoughts on this passport breach stuff? Now they're saying it happened to all the candidates.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
IBCNUL8R said:
So tell me. What are your thoughts on this passport breach stuff? Now they're saying it happened to all the candidates.
Obama has known about the 'views' of his passport info for some time, having the story 'break' yesterday was purposely done in an attempt to end the very negative news cycle he's been in and give the media something else to cover.

Did you happen to notice that the very Obama friendly PMS-NBC show 'Countdown with Keith Overies' was the first to break the story on TV?

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
I think Obama still doesn't "get it". He's made Granny into a racist rather than just a normal woman (black OR white) who would show fear under the same exact circumstances with an agressive white male trying to talk her out of her money.

Obama chose his example poorly, and I'm sure I'm not the only woman in America that has figured out this isn't a race issue.

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
Two issues at play here, both are closely woven together yet loosely linked.

The component of his speech that refers to his grandma had nothing to do with gender other than the fact she is female. His reference to "her" fear was race based not gender based. Obamas speech was delivered to address "race" in America and stop the bleeding Wrights mostly Anti-American, partially racial sermons had caused. Gender has little if any relevance in Obamas current political troubles.

His comment on the radio was also "race" based. Although he did call her (granny) a "typical white person" (which by the way was very irresponsible) he did not refer to gender. If so, he would have said "typical white women" or something to that affect. Thus far his political aspiration are in jeopardy solely because of his decision to turn what could have been an opportunity to quell concerns of his pastors anti-American remarks into what is now a full blown issue of race.

But I am curious. How is this NOT a race issue?

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I don't see the "typical white person" comment as that big of a deal. It probably wasn't the best phrase to use but these things happen when you are speaking candidly and "off the top of your head", much like McCain's little gaf in the ME the other day. People actually do misspeak from time to time, I know its shocking.

What this Wright thing has done to Obama is bring him right back to Hillary and McCain in the polls, and every time now that he misspeaks, the occurance will be piled on top of his wife's previous statements, the Wright issue, and his "typical white grandmother". What this will do is hamper Obama's greatest attribute, his ability to speak casually and frankly without prepared statements and in this arena he was way ahead of the other two candidates.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Good analysis DB... and spot on!

For all we REALLY know... this Rev. Wright frenzy could have been secretly initiated by the Obama campaign itself. Think about it? They knew this stuff was out there. They knew it would be bad for Obama. Why not get it out there and let the sh!t hit the fan NOW... in March... instead of letting the RNC control the timing and magnitude of it, say in late September, early October?

Who really knows though?

For all of our radical right-wing compadre's... did you guys hear that Mitt Romney's passport records were secretly compromised too! :?

Time to get all outraged! clown: :D :D

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
If you don't know... you probably wouldn't understand anyway... wink:

For starters: Travel destinations, Social Security # and a lot of other personal information.

How would you like it if somebody spied on your passport records for who knows what purpose?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All available elseswhere and easier to get. except the traval info. I don't see it as being a big deal.

I could have anyone SSN in less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I'm surprised you haven't started your own identity theft ring then? conf:

Wait... maybe you have? :shock:

In Obama's case... he's had a passport since he was 6 years old. There's a LOT of info in there that could potentially be used politically... like tying him the the Muslim thing with his travels to east Africa and Indonesia.

If there really ISN'T anything damaging to fear by having your records spied on... then WHY did those people do it?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"I'm surprised you haven't started your own identity theft ring then? "

I am not a liberal I don't condone taking other peoples excess Tup:

"In Obama's case... he's had a passport since he was 6 years old. There's a LOT of info in there that could potentially be used politically... like tying him the the Muslim thing with his travels to east Africa and Indonesia."

You told us it was all a vast right wing conspiracy to paint Obama into the Muslim corner. Now it includes Clinton and McCain? I had no idea they were Muslim plants. wink:

If there really ISN'T anything damaging to fear by having your records spied on... then WHY did those people do it?

Who knows but I hope they paint him out to be An anti American racist he was doing such a poor job of it himself Tup:

·
Banned
1,674 Posts
The State Department's own description of its passport record system offers some clues, as well as an indication of just how much data the government compiles on passport applicants.

What exactly is a passport record? A passport record typically consists of applications made by a person for a U.S. passport, together with supporting evidence of U.S. citizenship. The records include details such as date and place of birth, naturalization details, family status, occupation and physical characteristics. Passport records do not include evidence of travel, such as exit and entrance stamps, visas or residence permits. Passport records are protected by the Privacy Act of 1974.

Where are passport records stored? The records are maintained in a classified passport records system located at the State Department's Passport Services annex in Washington.

What individuals and records are covered by the system? The passport records system stores information about people who have applied for or have been issued a passport, or who have asked for an amendment to or renewal of a passport. It contains information on individuals whose passports have been denied, revoked or limited in some way, as well as data on individuals born outside of the country to U.S. citizens, or those who have applied for registration or were registered at U.S diplomatic or consular posts abroad. In addition to those categories of records, the system includes certificates of loss of U.S. nationality and records of death of American citizens abroad.

What else is in the system? In addition to passport applications and the related material, the system stores investigative reports that might have been compiled in connection with granting or denying a passport, or in connection with any violation of passport criminal statutes. It also stores court documents and administrative determinations related to passports and citizenship, as well as copies of birth and baptismal certificates, medical, personal and financial reports and details on arrest warrants of the person applying for, extending or renewing a passport and a person's Social Security number. How is the information collected? Information comes from the passport applicant as well as law enforcement agencies, investigative and intelligence sources, and officials of foreign governments. The records are stored in paper or electronic format.

How is all this information used? Apart from helping to determine citizenship and eligibility for a passport, the information can be used for employment applications and estate settlements, and to determine Social Security benefits. It can also be used for federal and state law enforcement investigations. Records are retrieved using an individual's name or passport number.

Who uses the system? The information in the passport records system is used not only by the State Department, but also by the Internal Revenue Service; foreign governments (for immigration purposes); federal, state and local authorities; attorneys representing a client in a passport case; and in some cases, members of Congress. In addition, an individual's immediate family members can also ask for the information under the Privacy Act and the Freedom of Information Act.

How is the information protected? All records containing personal information at the State Department are kept in secured file cabinets or in restricted areas to which only authorized personnel have access. All employees and contractors accessing the system must undergo a background check and have valid identification cards. Databases containing personal data are password-protected and are the direct responsibility of the system manager or those reporting to him or her. Transaction logging capabilities allow a system manager to maintain an audit trail of all data access â€" thereby permitting ad hoc monitoring of computer usage. It was apparently just such a system that triggered an alert when Obama's records were viewed.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... geNumber=2

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
The component of his speech that refers to his grandma had nothing to do with gender other than the fact she is female. His reference to "her" fear was race based not gender based.
I read the speech. He has NO FRICKEN IDEA if her fear was race based or gender based. She didn't TELL him and old grandpa just assumed.

Being a woman, I have a better idea than Obama would about what a woman fears and it's an agressive male stranger... PERIOD. This is one time I don't think you want to argue this point, unless you're willing to admit to your sex change operation.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts