Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bad day gone good! Sorta

I had an awesome day of fishing today (Monday), even though a few bad things happened. The morning got off to a late start but I was finally underway by 9:00 AM. Traffic was surprisingly light, I was able to maintain my 55 up until the big Milk truck in the tight curves, and it was all 35 mph from there on.

I finally reached my first area, after about 45 minutes and nothing I moved on. Moving from one spot to the next continued up until about Noon, this is when the first bad thing happened. This river is loaded with all sorts of Jeep trails; today I went down a new one. After about 100 yds down the trail ruts forked, the right fork looked to be a very nasty truck swallowing mud pit. I decide to stay left but the truck and the ruts had a different idea, anyway long story short, the mud pit from hell swallowed the right side of my truck. After putting some chains on and about an hours worth of work, I was able to work my truck free. I left that area and back up to the hwy.

After fishing hard for a few more hours, I came to my last spot. I’ve pulled a lot of fish from this one spot, so I had faith in it. I tied on my new Nightmare jig with the Metallic Red beads (pictured below). After about 20 minutes passed my hopes started to fade, suddenly my float disappeared and I set the hook. This fish immediately came out of the water with a nice acrobatic flip and about 5 or 6 more to follow and several drag burning runs. After the fish settled down a little I jumped down off my rock, as soon as my foot hit the ground I rolled my ankle and came down on my knee and elbow, Dam that hurt, and I still had the fish on. When I finally got it close enough I could see that it was a Mint Bright Native Hen. I snapped a quick pic and sent her on her way, I estimated her to be in the 10 lb. range.

With my ankle still in pain, I retied with a non beaded McKenzie jig. Fished it for about 10 minutes when the float disappeared again. This fish didn’t do any glamorous leaps like the first one but it did strip some line. About 1 minute into the fight the fish snags me up between two rocks forcing me to limp my way down stream to try and free it. I got myself un-snagged and still had the fish. After a few more minutes I landed nice colored Hatchery Buck, which I released after a quick pic.

This day was a bad day to start but ended up a good one at the end. As for my Ankle, well, after the drive home I can barely put any weight on it. Looks like I’ll be off to the Doctor tomorrow.

Jig’n

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like those jigs. I lost an umpqua pattern I bought off your website and was absolutly devestated. Wanted to name it and build a grave. Oh yeah, nice steelhead too.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Great report! Good pictures. Let us know how your ankle is, Ok?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Great report and nice pics as well. That beaded jig looks like a real KILLER!! Might have to get me some of them...

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Nice report and pics, hope the ankle is not too bad..

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Nice pics Jig'n, sounds like your day was filled with hystaria, but you got some nice pics and beautiful fish to show for it, you never know if you wouldn't have gotten stuck those fish might not have been there yet, great report Tup: Tup: ......P.S. I got the jigs in the mail, thanks a lot they are some nice jigs, are you selling that Nightmare Pattern on your site?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GURU said:
Nice pics Jig'n, sounds like your day was filled with hystaria, but you got some nice pics and beautiful fish to show for it, you never know if you wouldn't have gotten stuck those fish might not have been there yet, great report Tup: Tup: ......P.S. I got the jigs in the mail, thanks a lot they are some nice jigs, are you selling that Nightmare Pattern on your site?
I don't have that particular Nightmare pattern available yet, but I will have it soon, it will be located in the "custom jigs" section.

I'm off to the doctors now, this could be an all day event :|

Jig'n

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Olybirds said:
all I can say, is that never would have happened in a TOYOTA.... :D
That's funny, I've been looking hard at the new Tocoma's. I will buy a new one in about a year. My 4x4 Frontier has been a great little truck, this is the first time I got stuck in it.

My Brother has an 87 4 runner thats all decked out for off road including air lockers. I talked to him last night about my situation, after describing the spot I was stuck in he too has been burried there.

Anyway, I think I can say I wasn't stuck since I was able to get out on my own :mrgreen:

Jig'n

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Wow. Nice pics. Thats awesome that you fish out of the way areas. Takes a lot of research I imagine! Hope your ankle feels better!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Great story. The ankle can't be that bad if you could continue to fish and land another. Just kidding. Hope you get good news from the doc today and you start feeling better soon.

Isaac

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on the ankle, just a Sprain. I was told to ice & elevate and no fishing for a few days :eek: and back to work tomorrow Tdown: :cry:

jig'n

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
is that a metallic paint on plastic beads, on that nightmare jig? Do you coat it with clear epoxy or other stuff to keep it from chipping?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts