Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at this, the farm across the road from me is 1200 acres or recently planted wheat. I've counted the pheasants about 20 times now. There is always between 45 and 60 out there. Today my best count was 54 with 22 shooters!

Every morning for the last three days This is what I see now.

They are about 150 yards from the road, Not much you can do to get closer. Any movement they are gone! Had the season still been open I would send my boy up the ridge behind them. They fly across the road to my place and from there it gets interesting. I have permission to hunt most of the property around me too. Just no way under these conditions to sneak in on them.

I took the photo's with my digital, so they are not that great with digital zoom.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Of course they are out in the open now, they can read the regs too. They know that the season is over. That tail sticking straight up is their version of flipping you the bird. The ducks will be doing this to me next week.

·
Registered
832 Posts
YUP! never fails! Starting monday i'll start seeing flocks of ducks and geese right out my window at work... all in shooting range too... They do this right before the season too... just to mess with us. This is all part of the master plan keep you addicted... Don't say we didn't warn you... wink:

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah but 54 with 22 roosters!

That is simply sick, I hunted awefully hard before the dog and I never saw that many. I'm not a Pheasant biologist but it would seem they group up this time of year. During the fall and hunting season they are far more scattered about.

It's hard to tell from the photo's but this is south east facing. The dirt is also very dark. I'm guessing that they also hit this spot to get as much warmth as possible. That spot is bare of snow due to the sunshine and exposure. All around it and behind is covered in snow now. This also makes finding the seeds a bit easier in dirt then scratching through the snow

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's funny how that works, within days of the season ending, the birds pop up everywhere! I have seen that a ton in your area, although not that many together.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I saw exactly the same thing in the fields next to the town of Lamont (just South of Sprague) the day before rifle deer season in 2006. There were 4 large groups that held approximately 75 ROOSTERS (and only a couple of hens)! I couldn't believe my eyes and yet they were right there in front of me--amazing! :eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
anybody willing to share any upland spots over in that area (spokane)? my buddy goes to Eastern and he took me to some BLM land near Fishtrap. It was lame and nothing was there. I live near Seattle so its tough for me to learn that area and he doesnt get too much time to scout because of school and work. any new spots to try for quail or some roosters would be awesome.

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been here only one year now and with just one season under my belt I'm not sure I can be much help.

There are some WDF&G release sites, Most are kinda remote and out of the way. However these would be the places I would hunt on or around. The other thing I realize more now then ever.............Without a good dog its a struggle everyplace. With a good dog, even a place with limited potential will provide at least that limited potential!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ya, i realize that. hopefully if not next year, the year after i will have a good upland dog and many more options will be opened up for me. ill have to post something down the road closer to october hopefully ill get some specifics. i dont hunt over there much, it would just be great to hunt over there and actually have a clue on where to start as i hunt in yakima, columbia basin and skagit and am getting to point on being knowledgeable on each spot when i go to those places. great pics though. its awesome to see evidence that somewhere in this state the ol ringneck population is doin alright.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Its weird to see that theres no snow that way, a buddy of mine lives in Dayton and he is buried up to almost 4ft of snow right now. Something about plowing your driveway everyday just doesnt sound too appealing. Lol

Jake

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is lots of snow, look at the photo from hunting yesterday, this morning I woke up to 5 inches.

There is not 4 feet in Dayton, I drive there all the time. there might be 4 feet where it's plowed into piled along the driveway? I saw about 30 phesants in a wheat stubble field in dayton yesterday. Wheat stubble is about 6" long and I could clearly see it. It cannot be 4 feet deep in dayton. Now when you go SE into the Blues you can get plenty of feet and 4 foot in the hills is easy to get.

The thing with the snow here is that we get good snow, but it's so sunny during the days that it melts quick. Even when it's only in the upper 20's the sunshine makes it feel much warmer and the snow is melting.

This morning everything is white here. It's like an arctic landscape! By Tuesday it could be all gona again.

·
Banned
109 Posts
He lives way up on the N. fork of the Touchet, nearly in the Blues. He told me that there was barely anything in town but once you got up to his house theres a lot of it, says it is still snowing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts