Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a 4 blade prop for my trophy so i can get a little more low and mid range poop out of my 150

Im not too worried about loosing the top end,,,as I really dont use it anyhow.

Unfortunately most of my fishing buddies weigh about 300lbs and Im almost there myself.

It would be nice to hold a steady plane at lower speeds,,,and have more of a footprint in a rough sea....

My real worry is getting the right size prop for my boat.

Anyone done this to their boat?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Go to a good prop shop and kiss some arse ,ask if you can try a few till you get one that works for you, they will be able to get you in the ball park when you give them the paticulars on your boat after that it's a matter of running different props till you find what your after.

http://www.propshopltd.com/

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I believe that what I've been told if you're going from 3 to 4 blade prop, you'll need to drop 1" in pitch to maintain current performance due to the increased blade area and "traction" in the water.

There is also a performance difference if switching from aluminum to stainless. (You didn't mention if you're doing this...)

If you're starting and staying with aluminum, I'd start with the next pitch smaller than you have now, and keep working down until you find the prop that does what you want. Obviously it'd be best to have your boat laden with a "typical" load for your testing.

I'd try Auburn Sports... I believe they have a Trial/Test program.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
SeaRanger21 said:
Go to a good prop shop and kiss some arse ,ask if you can try a few till you get one that works for you, they will be able to get you in the ball park when you give them the paticulars on your boat after that it's a matter of running different props till you find what your after.

I wouldn't give the Prop Shop a dime. I tried getting their input on a prop purchase last year and they came across as "bothered" that I was wasting their time. That was during a face to face meeting after leaving 3 different messages and never getting a call back.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Hunter P said:
SeaRanger21 said:

I wouldn't give the Prop Shop a dime. I tried getting their input on a prop purchase last year and they came across as "bothered" that I was wasting their time. That was during a face to face meeting after leaving 3 different messages and never getting a call back.
Sorry about your bad luck in the past they have treated everyone I know that used them just fine

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with a 4 blade on a new Evinrude 225. Better for big water for sure but you won't stay straight in reverse.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Let us know how it performs. I have heard many folks don't notice a damn thing. In general, of course, that's always been true :|

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
20miler said:
Let us know how it performs. I have heard many folks don't notice a damn thing. In general, of course, that's always been true :|
When I tried a 4 bladed prop on my boat I noticed a slight increase in hole shot,but not enough to make a difference. I have alot of power on my boat and get on step in a couple boat lengths anyways.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We need a more info on your boat, length, weight, current prop size (pitch and dia), current planning speed @ what rpm, max speed at what rpm, and the max rpm range for your engine.

That said, if your looking for lower planning speed, then a hydrofoil and or trim tabs will yield more for the buck than a prop change, unless you are way over propped. The four blade prop will get you lower planning speed at the right pitch, but will also be less efficient than a 3 blade. With gas @ 3.50+ efficiency is a must, stay with a three blade unless you need the hole shot.

I'm in the same situation, stern heavy boat that likes to plane at 25 mph+. I would like to get my planing speed down for ocean conditions, better low speed efficiency and better ride. I'm adding a hydro foil, I already have tabs. The tabs help but are a little narrow, and hurt efficieny if deployed to much, they are meant to level the boat side to side, not bring the stern up.

Stacy

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Rather than a Hydrafoil, take a look at the Permatrim. I've read a lot of great reports on the C-Dory owners group about people who have switched from Hydrafoils to the Permatrim. While they look similar I think there is less drag with the Permatrim and that results in better performance and better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gljjr said:
Rather than a Hydrafoil, take a look at the Permatrim. I've read a lot of great reports on the C-Dory owners group about people who have switched from Hydrafoils to the Permatrim. While they look similar I think there is less drag with the Permatrim and that results in better performance and better fuel mileage.
i think i might just make one of those Tup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts