Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to piggyback Dr Hooks 2008 wish list I was thinking a good topic would be your 2008 Gear wish list. I have a good sized one myself at Cabelas.com as well as a list of things I want to get not at cabelas. My biggest want came true last fall when I got my boat but that only leads to other things I think I need. So to lead it off

1. One electric and one Manual downrigger mounted on my Boat. I am thinking a cannon Uni-Troll manual on one side and scotty 1101 powerpack electric for my side of the boat. I hear the Cannon electrics have gotten better and are as good as the Scottys, but it seems to just depend on who you talk to and their personal prefrence. Any suggestions or pointers regarding this?
2. Lamiglas 76 FC 76 UL kokanee rod with a Diawa Tierra L handed model
3. Drop shot rod to target bass in tapps, or WA and Sammamish
4. Sturgeon gear, rod, reel and tackle. Plan to target down by the Kalama or over on the snake, any suggestions on Rods and Reels?
5. Bow mount electric trolling motor with co pilot remote.
6. Walleye trolling and jigging rods and reels, still researching these any one know any good ones for trolling 1/2-3 ounce bottom walkers?

well that should get it started, I have more wants, but that list above will already cost me several thousand dollars as is
how about your lists, what gear do you all think you need?

·
Registered
99 Posts
haha. I too have a list thats definately unreasonable. but isnt that true for most fisherman? can never have too many rods, reels, tackle or toys in my opinion.

however realisticly:
build my first custom rod (drift rod)
abu Lhand low profile to go on it
new lamiglass ultralight spinning rod and reel for it as my fiance inheirited mine (basically said, this is cute its my pole now! lol)
oh well, im glad she is into fishing a little bit.

any input on the abu revo's?? cant beat the name for durability, i have a bigger casting reel and love it but have never used one.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
My gear at the beginning of the year was a new bait casing pole and reel. A better spinning rod. I have both those now.
So maybe a bigger boat and motor so I could chase salmon out in the sound.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I left a shotgun off the list also, I have been talking about this for 2 years now and still have not gotten one. For camping and home protection and occasional clay targets, I am considering just a mossburg with the two barrels, the security barrel and the longer one. I cant remember off hand the lengths but big 5 has it on sale every so often. Does anyone have any input on a shotgun for home protection and occasional bird/ clay targets?

·
Registered
99 Posts
be careful on buy a home security shotgun. most have short barrels and there is a requirement for hunting. im not sure it might be 18" tho. anyways those arent that great at all for hunting or shooting clays. im a die hard remington fan. you cant beat the 870 model for just about any purpose necessary. they also have a couple different security models in the 870 too if you change your mind and just want that instead. you can find them on sale at joes or big 5 sometimes for a little over 200. way better than mossberg, just my opinion tho.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FinAddict said:
be careful on buy a home security shotgun. most have short barrels and there is a requirement for hunting. im not sure it might be 18" tho. anyways those arent that great at all for hunting or shooting clays. im a die hard remington fan. you cant beat the 870 model for just about any purpose necessary. they also have a couple different security models in the 870 too if you change your mind and just want that instead. you can find them on sale at joes or big 5 sometimes for a little over 200. way better than mossberg, just my opinion tho.
I appreciate the info there. I was thinking of getting a mossberg with a 16 or 28 inch barrell and an 18 inch barrell. I like the idea of being able to switch barrels. As far as bird hunting goes, I don't know how much of that I will be doing. I do like clay targets though and will do some of that. I myself like remingtons but like the swapable barrells. I will keep it in mind as I get closer to making the purchase.
thanks
JDL

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
JD-
Something to think about. I did the electric downrigger on my side, manual on the other. The problem is, when you fish with two people, and you're on the electric, who's doing the cranking when your partner is fighting a fish? YOU!! After a couple years I figured out I actually crank it in more than they do! I am breaking down and getting a second electric for just that reason. Tup:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Elkrun said:
JD-
Something to think about. I did the electric downrigger on my side, manual on the other. The problem is, when you fish with two people, and you're on the electric, who's doing the cranking when your partner is fighting a fish? YOU!! After a couple years I figured out I actually crank it in more than they do! I am breaking down and getting a second electric for just that reason. Tup:
thats good food for thought, thanks for the info

·
Registered
204 Posts
backlash II said:
I wish I could find a 11 ft. single handed fly rod with a med. action.
Batson/Rainshadow came out with a new 10'8"switch rod blank that makes a sweet single handed fly rod. They come in 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9wts.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
A new boat...
1 more 10 1/2ft chinook bobber rod
1 or 2 more pro bouncers
Few more abu 5500s and 6500s
New fish finder

Some more owner hooks for Springer fishin
1000 5/0
1000 4/0
1000 3/0
500 2/0

Hundred pounds of cannon balls..

1000 gallons of gas lol

A booked Spring Chinook Season Tup: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
At the Bellevue fly fishing show last weekend I wore a path in the carpet between the TFO, Buelah, Echo, and Sage booths comparing 10'-6" and longer switch/lt spey 5 & 6 wt rods. I need (well really want) a light 2 hander that will be primarily used scandi overhead casting for trout ib both lakes and rivers. They all had great rods, but I really choked at the Sage pricing. The Buelah 5/6 wt was really the best fit. I will still think about having one of the new Batson switch rod blanks rolled, but I really like the Buelah.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Buelahs are nice rods, I've built them in a switch and centerpin and they have held up real well. The Rainshadows are priced a little better and are a lot like the buelahs. You should check the buelah site some times they have there demo rods on there for a good price.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
jdlunk said:
6. Walleye trolling and jigging rods and reels, still researching these any one know any good ones for trolling 1/2-3 ounce bottom walkers?
Any steelhead rod will work for Walleye, at least to get you started. I started off with my steelhead rod and it worked so well I never got around to replacing it. At least for the trolling part. That same rod will work for jigs too for a while as you learn to walleye fish and see how the walleye react and fight.

One thing to remember, walleye suck lots of water in with the bait, they don't attach just the bait like other fish. So the bite can be very subtle. Sometimes all you feel is just a little extra weight on you line without you knowing how it got there.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
"1. One electric and one Manual downrigger mounted on my Boat. I am thinking a cannon Uni-Troll manual on one side and scotty 1101 powerpack electric for my side of the boat. I hear the Cannon electrics have gotten better and are as good as the Scottys, but it seems to just depend on who you talk to and their personal prefrence. Any suggestions or pointers regarding this?"

Why not just get two electric downriggers? I'm guarantee you'll wish you had. Cannon electric riggers are very nice. I have two Digitroll IV downriggers on my boat. Had a recent issue with one of them, but was corrected under warranty. If you like to run heavier cannon balls when trolling, you may want to consider Cannon over Scotty. Likewise, Scotties are very nice too. Each has their own pros and cons that you need to investigate. Dropping several hundred (or thousand) bucks on a set of new electric downriggers is a big commitment.

My list includes a new knotless net. I was trying to find just a net to replace the net on my current Frabil hoop but haven't been able to locate one yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts