Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the Derby results by the number. Because thats all I ve got, you will have to wait of Dr Hook to post pictures.
82 Adult tickets sold.
10 Child tickets.
92 total enteries.
$938 dollars awarded.
Roughly $2600 in prizes handed out. Tup:
13 sponsors.
7 fish weighed in

PLACES
1st Bill Combs 11.2 lbs
2nd Gary Lukenbill 6.11lbs
3rd Josh Weinheimer 6.6 lbs
4th Don Overby 5.1 lbs
5th Tom Benningfield 5.0 lbs
6th Patrick Boyle 4.4 lbs
7th Robert Green 4.3 lbs

Secret Weight was 5.6 lbs won by Don Overby
1st fish weighed in also won by Don Overby
2 kids received trophys
Largest fish gamefishin member won by Don Overby

The water was glass all day. Except some early morning showers the day turned out beautiful. The fishing was definetly tough today. Most fish being caught in area 13.
Everything in the derby went smoothly with no problems, and everyone seem to have a good time. Thanks to all who helped and to all the sponsors who donated.

Lip Ripper

Here is one picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
If I knew Bill combs was in the derby it would be an easy prediction that the guy would win. He catches fish out there like I've never seen. :eek:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Only 7 fish weighed :( . Congrats to those who placed!

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Pity so few were caught.

Good turn out this early in the year. Tup:

Congratulations to all who managed to weigh-in. clap:

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
You guys are all really lucky I wasnt out there!!! :lol: Great job on setting this up Lip Ripper!!!! Glad we could suport this event!! Tup:

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Ok, I'll gloat a little. I scored big time at the awards! :mrgreen:

My theory on the lack of bait fish is the neap tides. There was a total of 5 1/2 feet of water movement over 12 hours! Without the water moving there was nothing holding the bait in the usual places and it just scattered. With that my plan was to focus on structure instead, thinking the fish would be there looking for the bait till the water started moving again for the evening tide. So my first choice was the Tovila Shoal Pt Gibson area. At 8 I hooked up with what felt like a decent fish but lost him after a short battle. Then about 9:15 I get another and this one sticks. Legal but small so it's decision time then. Do I keep it or try for better? (AKA go home with nothing.) I figure WTF I may not place but I'll at least get a meal out of it so I keep it. And not a moment too soon either! As soon as I get packed up to make the run to the weigh in here comes Tiderunners Sea Sport. Good thing I got my fish when I did or I would have ended up with nothing! LOL

Thanks again to the sponsors for all the great prizes and to Lip Ripper for all his hard work on this.

My lost fish and keeper both came on an 4.0 Army Truck Coyote behind a G/G Hot Spot at 120'. I had one drive by on an Ace High.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Being a new member to this site, and having seen the ad for the derby at Sportmans Warehouse, I had to give it a go. Even though my boat only managed to haul in one little shaker, my fishing partner and I had a great time. We both ended up with some tackle and gear from the sponsers in the raffle at the end. I must admit, I expected alot more problems at the launch. Everyone I spoke with on the way in and out of the launch, I think, felt the same way. No problems, no hassles. Great job LIP RIPPER. Count me in on any future events. If you need any help with derbys down the road, just let me know. Thanks to the rest of you who helped a new member feel welcome. See you all next time or maybe in Anacortes for the PSA derby. Thanks again LIP RIPPER. The White Possum

·
Registered
416 Posts
sir john said:
Pity so few were caught.

Good turn out this early in the year. Tup:

Congratulations to all who managed to weigh-in. clap:
Nice job to all the winners as Myself and partner did not fair well but beautiful day
after the early rain, had a good time we stayed around area 11 and should have gone down to area 13 conf: oh well live and learn. Thanks Lip Ripper let's do it again next year!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great day to be on the water, fished from Pt Robinson to Beal Point, had one fish to the boat but when I reached for the net I must have gave it some slack and lost it. The rest of the day I caught four Flounders, so I didn't make it down to Pt D.
Thanks Lip Ripper for putting this derby on.

·
Registered
413 Posts
thanks to gf and all the sponsors i made out like a bandit even though we didn't catch anything. I got picked in the raffle and won a sweatshirt that was way to small and brown and pink but no big deal if was free and i never win at raffles so then crazy avis gets picked and wins a nice shakspear reel with a counter and proclaims that she doesn't want the reel she wants my sweatshirt so me being the gentleman i am i trade her wink: well after a few more people are picked my partner in crime miss conduct gets picked and wins a lorance gps so like the smart @#$ im i say hey since you already have one i'll trade you, so to my surprise he agrees. not to bad for starting out as the "fat guy in a little pink coat" and thanks again to avis Tup: and thanks to jayden miss conducts son for drawing the tickets

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Sorry I had to miss it at the last second. The boat I was supposed to be on (Red Neckerson) managed quite a few shakers but nothing legal.

Any pics from the event??

Trading a sweatshirt for a GPS, dang that is a good deal!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Olybirds said:
Nice Job Team "Kitchen Pass". Tup:
Thanks OB. Bruce, Avis and I started fishing at Quartermaster and gave up after 2 hours of marking nothing. I told Bruce lets head down to Gibson because I used to do well there. I haven't fished the sound on a number of years but old faithful gave me anothere one. We had a great time and it was a very well run event. Congrats to all. The only snafu was my auto pilot, everytime I turned it on we started hard turns left. Something else to get fixed.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks to everyone who put this together. Made it out with Lofty and we hit 11 hard all morning, all I managed was a solid hit and pop that did'nt stick. Still a great day out on the water and it always adds to the experience when you're fishing in a derby.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Thats a toad of a blackmouth! Our boat managed several, but being that we had no keepers about the time we figured we needed to head back to the weigh in we decided to stay for a bit and try to put a keeper in the box for some eatin, and we started spankin em right about then too. from about 12-1:30 we were on fire, then is shut down when Vic busted the Ol' buzz ramsey. then it was game over, and nothin more was goin. The longest one we got up to the boat was about 20'. faty one, but to short. Tons of fun tho!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts