Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new (to me) remington 870 in 16 gauge. Anyone else here use a 16 gauge for hunting? This gun will primarily be used for upland game, but I have been toying with the idea of getting a rifled deer barrel for it or a turkey barrel. This 870 has a 28" barrel with a fixed modified choke.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Very nice. Got my first Ring neck with 16, a Buddies model 12. It was full choke and would reach out there pretty good.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have a Winchester 1300 auto loader in 16 gauge. I love the thing but because it is a pain in the butt to come up with trap loads for the range, I don't shoot it much any more. I hear East coast get more use out of the 16 gauge than you see around here. Too bad, it is a nice chambering.

BTW, 870 in 16, nice find. Good looking piece Tup:

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I'll bet you really enjoy that 870 in 16 gauge Tup: . I've got an old Browning "Sweet Sixteen" that has done a lot of good work in the field.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a pre 1980's model 870. Apperently when remington started making 870s in 16 gauge again in the early 2000's they just built them on a 12 frame and barrel, but with the 16 gauge bore. From what I hear, the new ones actually weight more then a 12.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have one of the new Rem 870 in 16 and it really doesn't weigh that much. It's by far one of the most lethal guns I shoot and I use it for both upland and waterfowl. Sportmans seems to have one of the better ammo selections for it and their prices are very reasonable. It's great for the release areas around western washington plus some of those short shooting duck ponds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts