Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy Avis and I were going to pick up some ribeye steaks for dinner tonight... that is until we seen the price!

$11.99 a pound at Safeway, thats insane. I guess we'll just have some fish. :lol:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Too much fat in a Rib-eye anyway.

I prefer a good New York striploin... or even a well marinated London Broil. Tup:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
It is only going to get more expensive as they take land out of food production for fuel. Washington lost 100k acres of hay production last year for biofeul. Also add in the cost of fuel to produce. I raise my own beef and the cost was up 30% between hay and grain I ended up at $2.50 a lb in the freezer for all cuts. But mine is highest grade of prime Tup: all my steaks you can cut with a fork Tup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dr Hook said:
Crazy Avis and I were going to pick up some ribeye steaks for dinner tonight... that is until we seen the price!

$11.99 a pound at Safeway, thats insane. I guess we'll just have some fish. :lol:
I bet if you really figure out what that fish is costing you per pound (boat, fuel, equipment, time), the beef won't look so expensive. :eek: wink:

The ripple effect rising gas prices is having on our economy is only going to get worse.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Just bought rib-eyes at Costco, $7.49 per lb.

You have to buy 3-4 at a time, but you can't beat the big "C" for meat quality and prices, IMO.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I love ribeye. But thats kind of expensive, unless you're buying the Black Angus prime or whatever it is. To the comment about having too much fat... I say "WHHHAAAAAAATT?!?!?!!?" There's no such thing! Here's how I like to eat mine. Eat the middle portion, then take the fattier portion around the outside and that one chunk of fat in the middle, shove into a heel of crusty bread, and munch away!

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Not to upset you too much, but a brewery over in Boston is buying its barley from abroad because yours in too dear, then he is exporting all his beer as he gets a better price abroad. You better hope that this does not happen around your area or you will have no beer to cry into. :lol:

Again this is because so much land has been taken out of growing food stuff, the new buzz words are bio-fuel.

Wheat has gone up from $120 per tonne two years ago to $240 per tonne now and it is expected to grow even higher in the coming months. This from a report shown on our TV news tonight.

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NR Stu said:
Dr Hook said:

I bet if you really figure out what that fish is costing you per pound (boat, fuel, equipment, time), the beef won't look so expensive. :eek: wink:

The ripple effect rising gas prices is having on our economy is only going to get worse.
You got that right, but I don't look at it that way. It's not the price per pound of fish but the price for the enjoyment I get out of doing something I love to do. Getting fresh fish is a nice perk.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It sucks beef and wheat are rising in cost but if you are a bird hunter, it doesn't look that bad. Im hoping that all that corn that's left up waaaay longer than the average sweet corn will help those migratory waterfowl and maybe up the piss poor pheasant population over there a little bit as well. Gotta look at the bright side sometimes. Tup:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
easy way,buy the rib roast log at costco,cost 5. 49 a pound.take it home cut it up, theres no bone anyway.wrap em and freeze for another day.lowest cost per pound around.except when winco is having a sale.

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
We buy a 1/4 of a cow from a friend of ours. All in all, we paid $3/pound for a freezer full of all natural beef.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The Rib-eyes at Safeway are generally pretty good. They go on sale all the time for about $4.99lb.

I found the deal of the year last Summer at Albertsons. They had Rib-eyes miss marked at like $1.99lb. I bought every last one they had. IIRC it was about 40 steaks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Not eactly steak but I took a peek at the grocery ads for the QFC by my place before I headed down to get some groceries. I saw that the first of the season fresh halibut was plastered front page on thier ads - only there wasn't a price given....hmmm. Well I found out why they did'nt list a price - 18.99#. Man that's just putting more pressure only next months halibut trip - 0 fer 3 years running up there now, hopefully the fish gods are better this year(or we come across some kind soul who has a few starter coordinates to help level the field).

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thepoth said:
Not eactly steak but I took a peek at the grocery ads for the QFC by my place before I headed down to get some groceries. I saw that the first of the season fresh halibut was plastered front page on thier ads - only there wasn't a price given....hmmm. Well I found out why they did'nt list a price - 18.99#. Man that's just putting more pressure only next months halibut trip - 0 fer 3 years running up there now, hopefully the fish gods are better this year(or we come across some kind soul who has a few starter coordinates to help level the field).
The Top Foods in Lake Tapps had a 28lb whole halibut in the display case, they wanted close to $400 for it. :shock:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
gear addict said:
Halibut is getting right up there with king crab these days. Seems like it was just a few years ago when it was 2.99.
king crabs a joke, its all russian now. farmed crab.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Bring on the beans and cornbread. This is only the beginning of a bad, bad year. I saw Diesel yesturday at $4.29 a gal.
No wonder the price of food is going to the moon. Thank our congress for this, and ask what they are doing to stop this
situation? It is just not the guy in the Whitehouse, but the whole stinking government. I bet they don't worry about their
grocery bills. Tdown:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Here is a little secret from an old meat-cutter.
Check the meat aisle and keep your eyes open for CHUCK EYE steaks.
If you can find them they will usually be under five bucks a pound....Winco will let you know when they are running them for under that. Usually under 4 bucks a pound.
Yeah there is some internal marbeling to this cut. That is where you get the tenderness and flavour.
Ask the guy behind the counter how many chuck-eyes they get per side. If they cut more than three then go to a different store. More than three and they drop in quality but for a great steak for the price they just can't be beat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts