What's Your Hook Choice for Buzz Bombs?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by islandbass, Aug 9, 2011.

1. islandbass

islandbass Active Member

I used siwashes last season for pinks on buzz bombs and this season, I am trying octopus.

The siwshes performed well, and I have only had one lost opportunity this season. It wasn't a result of the hook however.

I am just wondering based on the differences of their designs if one is better suited for buzz bombs.

Look forward to hearing your choices and reason(s) for your choice! I hope to "hammer" out an answer. :mrgreen:

Thanks!
  2. TheWorm

TheWorm Member

Trebbles are the best but unfortunately not legal anymore.
  3. Bobarino

Bobarino New Member

Since it has to be barbless, I recommend the Matsuo/Rvrfshr sickle siwash. They stick pretty well for not having a barb.
  4. cjk

cjk New Member

I like 2 octopus tied as close together as I can tie them, with a mini hoochie covering the hooks. With a small buzz bomb and the skirt on there you can fish it a lot slower without having it sink very deep. I really like the gamakatsu barbless.
  5. Steve Ericsson

Steve Ericsson Active Member

That's how I do it, two pink Gamis tied as close together as I can get them, points on opposite sides.
  6. winterun

winterun Active Member

Good choice's guy's!!!!

We also make a NSB (nickle silver black) barbless octopus hook now, as well as the "Big River" hook which is similar in shape to the sickle, down to a size 1/0, but comparable in size to the other guys size 1. This style fishes well barbless also because of the deep bend.

Winterun
  7. stickfisher

stickfisher New Member

8. Steve Ericsson

Steve Ericsson Active Member

I run 'em like this.

Attached Files:

9. islandbass

islandbass Active Member

Thanks for all of the responses! I got more octos at OE today because they're already barbless.
  10. fishn2gthr4ever

fishn2gthr4ever Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

+2 Tup: Tup:
  11. powder

powder Active Member

12. fishing bear

fishing bear Active Member

I like the Gamakatsu single hook 501. It is an open eye that I but on a #7 crane swivel then tie on your bumber and Buzz Bomb. It has a out barb that is easy to pinch down and then i file them off.
  13. GlockDawg

GlockDawg New Member

I used to buy these English Half's at the Reel Thing....

By far the deadliest shaped hook out there in my book.

Attached Files:

14. fishing bear

fishing bear Active Member

Glock not to change the post but is the Reel Thing still open? That was a great shop.
  15. ShoreSling_r

ShoreSling_r New Member

I like Stickfisher's setup best, using the swivels. The odd thing is I add a split ring and swivel behind all my spoons for DR trolling, yet never thought to do this when Shore Slinging with BBs and Zzingers. In the past the only thing different I have done with my lead jigs is adding a tiny pink bead above the bumper. I just use Gami red octopus hooks or Matsuo sickles, sized depending on how big the lead I am throwing is.

Going to give the swivels a try though next time. I'll wait until most of the humpy-mania has subsided and get serious about beach fishing when the ocean silvers show in better numbers, around Labor Day if not a little sooner.