Game Fishing Forum banner

Westport

Fishing Report 
7K views 36 replies 3 participants last post by  meeeeg 
G
#1 ·
We left the dock at 6:45 on the Shenandoah from Coho Charters. There was six of us on the boat we went out of the harbor about two miles off the coast and started fishing around some under water structure. The fish finder was showing more fish than I have ever seen on any screen. We were in 120 feet of water and the fish were 20 feet thick in depth from the bottom to 100 feet. I thought that we would limit out in the first place stopped to fish but they weren't interested in what we had to offer. A couple of bass were put in the boat within the first few minutes and captain Vince came over the load speaker REEL EM UP lets go find some fish that are biting. That's the way it went all day every spot we hit was packed with fish and we would pick up a few in each hole. I was the only lucky one to pick up my limit of lingcod. We were limited out by 2:00 and headed back to port. If you are thinking of going charter fishing I would recommend taking the Shenandoah it is a very nice boat and the captain is top of the line.

G
#2 ·
Took the son fishing, at Westport on the Leigh Heigh and really had a great time. We had a rough trip on the sea to the "secret spot" and every body lost their breakfast on the way. We were the luckiest and got sick really early, then we were the only ones left standing when we hit the fishing. We hit the flatties hard and Son John got a 30.9 pound one and I did one in the 30 pound range as well. We were the only ones left fishing as everybody else was over the side, so we just had to help them out as well. Look forward again to a trip with lots of "marazine" in our system.

G
#3 ·
Here is the first of 3 reports to come this month from me. Was over at Wesport on the 8th of Aug and went out on the boat "BLITZ" operated by Deep Sea Charters. Long run to the South (2 hours) and then it was time to put the lines in. Weather wasn't to bad as was the ocean (we had anywhere from 3 to 7ft rollers) and not to many folks helped us "chum." Fishing was slow, my cousin ended up catching first fish (coho) about 8lbs but had to let it go due to it being a native. Rest of day nadda until the afternoon. Someone turned on the "fish magnet" and the calls of "Fish On!" could be heard on the average about every 5 minutes. This went on for about 1 hour. Then someone turned off the "fish magnet" and it got real sporadic. I think of the 21 folks on board there were 16-17 fish that were keepers. No less than 12 fish having been released due to being natives. Of our party (5) my cousin Jerry ended up with a 21lb Chinook, John ended up with a 10lb Coho, his dad had about an 8lb Coho and I ended up with a 9lb Coho. All in all not a bad day. Pics to come.

G
#4 ·
Tuna Time Fished on the Freedom (Westport Charters) left port at 10 P.M. 8-24 returned to port 3 P.M. 8-26. Ran all night had lines in the water just before 1st light fish on in 1 minute. Had 89 in the box at 8 A.M. 155 at the end of the day. We were ready at daybreak the next morning...............the fish weren't. Good thing we got them the first morning. Fished till 11 A.M. only added 17 fish to the box. Total 172 most were 11-17 pounds had one onboard that went 27 pounds. Captain Chuck Custer and his crew were great, good fishers and fun to be around. See picture in photo album.

G
#5 ·
Went out on the Advantage today. Left the harbor bright and early at a little before 6 and after an hour run had our lines in the water. First drop, Fish on! Native fish, back in the water it goes. This continued on for about 5 more fish and a couple hours until I found my first and only marked fish for the day. The boat limited with 58 fish, 15 kings and the rest silvers. Kings were from the mid 30's to the teens and silvers between 5 and 10. I ended up landing 8 fish, 7 being natives, and had an excellent time.

G
#6 ·
Went out Saturday and Sunday, Saturday there was three of us and fishing inside was a little slow so we headed out to the great blue 22 miles out and it was smoking hot between the three of us we caught and landed about twenty fish! Biggest was about 14-15 and smallest about nine. Also caught a seven foot blue shark that nearly spooled me before we fired up the boat and caught up with him...tried to rap a rope around his tale and he freaked(broke the line) Sunday fished inside and had our fish in and out in two hours. Heard a guy hooked on to a porpoise (accidentally) and smoked his hundred dollar reel!! WOW!

G
#7 ·
We went to Westport the weekend of 9/22 and 9/23 looking for the big Grays Harbor kings by the Johns River. They just aren't there yet. No one was catching them. We changed our target to offshore Coho. We followed one of the charters out 14 miles Saturday and found massive schools of big Coho. There were 3 of us and in the two days we easily caught 120 Coho. Each day we went home with our boat limit of 6 and all of them were 13-15 lbs. The rest were released. Forget the bait. Troll little spoons,no flashers, light tackle and have a ball. We did. The small single hook makes catch and release harmless. Remember, turn back all wild fish.

G
#8 ·
My grandson and I took a charter out of Westport on 7/24/02. He caught two nice fish, 15 lb King & 8lb Silver. He had a grin from ear to ear because grampa got skunked. The boat however, limited out with 32 fish. Mostly Kings, one weighted in at 35lbs. What a great day, the fishing out of Westport this year is out of this world.

G
#9 ·
What a day of Halibut and Bottomfishing at Westport! Starting with a Trip over the Bar we will all remember. Bucking 8 to 10 Foot swells and a memorable 20 Footer,(thanks to "Skipper Don's" years of knowledge with "Deep Sea Charters") the Coast Guard Patrol waved us on as the Wind pushed the 19 year Low Tides into a Froth. Hitting the Fishing Grounds 35 miles out I had my first Halibut take my Squid/Herring set up as soon as the 2lbs. of lead touched down 500 feet below. The highlight of the day was watching our Deckhand "Darrel" on the run Boating Fish after Fish as 5 Halibut Rods bent at the same time. Our Boat limiting on Halibut with all over 20lbs,(the biggest 42 inches long) with few 5lb. Cod thrown in for good measure. The Biggest Halibut seen taken today, a Hefty 64 pounder. What a Fish! We were back at the Dock by 4PM with everyone carrying a Big bag of Fillets. This could become addictive. "TRAPPER"

G
#10 ·
We fished Westport on the opening and managed to pick up a couple keeper kings out in around 200' plus of water fishing (15 miles) at 60' to 140' ft deep using hotspots and whole herring.

Fishing was slow and a lot of small fish were caught. Heard of a few big fish caught but overall not a lot of action yet.

Monday the 28th we didn't get any keepers and boated 4 small kings, all released.

G
#11 ·
The Ranger got 26 fish for 15 passengers today. About 1/3 kings. One king was 35lbs dressed weight. Several others over and around 20lbs. It is really picking up out there and should only get better as the season progresses.

G
#12 ·
Westport was Great Today. 18 keeper fish in just a few hours. Mostly Silvers, but we did have a few Nice Kings. One around 30lbs. Boat was limited around 1:30. We must have caught and released at least 40 shaker kings and Native Silvers. Kings now have 24in minimum size starting Friday for the rest of the season. Fishing is only getting better as the season goes on.

G
#13 ·
What a great start to the week. We limited both days. 30 fish on Monday and 38 fish on Tuesday. On Monday we had a daily derby winner for $500, a 43 pound dressed weight king salmon. That's almost a 50 pound fish in the round. On Tuesday we got a 30 pound dressed weight fish (no derby ticket, arrgh!). On Thursday we were limited with 34 fish by 1:30pm. Remember starting on Sunday the 29 of August we get to keep unmarked Coho Salmon.

G
#14 ·
We got a break in the weather on tuesday 4/19/05 out here in Westport. Went out for a fun trip and limited on our bass in 30 minutes also picked up a 9 pound cabazon. Last trip out in March we picked up 13 Lings with the biggest at 18.5 pounds. Current derby ling leader is 28.5 pounds. We fish again on Sunday and I will let you know how we did. Don Davenport/Ranger/Ocean Charters

G
#15 ·
Fish were 20 miles offshore. Had to work for them but 8 of us got 14 kings and 2 silvers. Average wt. was about 15-18 lbs with the biggest about 40. The big one was 33 something in the round and won the $500 daily derby.

G
#16 ·
Fished for halibut for the first time ever with Ocean Charters.Its a three and a half hour run in the morning to the fishing grounds. The fishing was kind of slow in the morning. But the skipper of the Ranger got us into them and by days end all but one of 19 had our limit.I was able to hook three and a couple of lings.If you ever decide to go bring your biceps cause the good fishing was at 600+
Feet.Biggest one caught on Thursday...........46 Pounds

G
#18 ·
Westport was kickin Sunday and Monday. We limited out with our Kings and Silvers. Went straight out 12 miles and did awesome back early both days. Fish are up, we where in 150 feet of water fishing down 40 feet to get fish. Even saw 3 Grey whales very cool. Biggest fish 33lbs smallest 15lbs. If you can go you better do it. Looks like we may not get to fish the ocean next year.

G
#19 ·
Fished out of Deep Sea Charters aboard "The Scooter" 8-18-08. Weather was WET,WINDY,ROUGH, to say the least. We ran west approx. 12-14 miles, 150' of water. Hit fish right away all silvers, 8-11 lbs. No kings. Cut-plug herring fished 20'-30' trolling and mooching. Lines in the water at 7:30am on our way back to dock with limits at 11:30am. Nice fat fish!

G
#20 ·
Fishing slow. brought 3 fish home out of five people.Tried all over 250ft of water all the way down to 125ft of water. We heard that the fish were in about 100-150ft of water when we got in to dock.

G
#22 ·
WENT ON CHART WITH BUDDIES FOR TUNA. FIRST OF THE COAST OF THE COLUMBIA. WASN'T REALLY HOT THERE SO WE CHUGGED DOWN OF THE COAST OF TILLAMOOK. FISH ON AND HEAVY. LOADED THE BOAT TO WHERE WE HAD NO MORE ICE FOR THEM AND CUT THE TRIP SHORT. BROKE THE BOAT RECORD WITH JUST 10 GUYS. 213! PROBABLY SNAPPED OFF ATLEAST 20 ALL DAY. TOOK HOME 23 FISH AND FELT LIKE I WAS DEBONING AN ELK WITH SO MUCH TUNA.

G
#23 ·
Went on the Slammer today with Deep Sea Charters. The weather was perfect and the sea's calm. it got a little windy towards the afternoon but you really could nothave a better day out there. The fishing for the seabass was great everyone limited in just over an hour and the average size was about 4lbs. The fishing for lings was not fast and furious but most everyone caught at least one average was about 8lbs.On the slammer it wwas nice to be with a captain who use's light spinning gear tackle for the rockfish. He also uses live bait (Flounder) when targeting the lings.I also caught a 25lb Canery (Yellow eye)Thank goodness I always real my fish in slowly when using a bait that picks up hithhikers and was able to release the fish totally unharmed. Our boat also lost 3 halibut. They boated a 50lbdr yesterday

G
#24 ·
Went to westport on 1st & 2nd. Sandbar on first day was really rough with thick fog . Fog put a damper on our fishing first day, but second day headed out about 12 miles. Half hour into fishing, started hooking onto BIG kings. Over the next 5 hours, hooked onto 7 kings, landing 3 but 2 of those were jacks (released) . Brought home about a 20 pounder, chrome as could be. Four of those kings snapped our lines like it was thread....14 & 18lb line. No more light lines for us.

TIGHT LINES ALL!!

G
#25 ·
Went out on the Ranger best boat and crew Ive ever been with.Everyone got limits and more no one got sick.Cap Don best in West port.The deck hand was so fast it was awsome. Im happy to say I GOT BIGGEST FISH on the boat second biggest for the day in west port.I didnt buy derby ticket,always buy derby ticket.FISH ON PARTYS IN WEST PORT. 20 POUND Chinook landed 3 lost 2.

G
#26 ·
Fished out of John's River in Grays Harbor yesterday for the first time. Boated 1 King 14lbs and 4 coho to l0lbs for two fishermen. Lost as many as we boated. Had plenty of action. Trolled herring and Brad's plug herring behind red, green and red/green flashers with and against the current on incoming and out going tides. Used 2-4 oz leads on 18" dropper two cranks off the bottom. Had action on all conditions. Got crowded yesterday evening. Had a good day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.