Top three (3) lure colors for Coho are....????

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by Pouser Keith, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Pouser Keith

Pouser Keith New Member

Hey Folks -

What are the top three "go to" or "starter" colors for Coho???? I think that I've heard in the past that green, blue and silver are starter colors but I could be wrong....

Getting some gear ready for some Coho fishing from our small boat in the lower Duwi and was wondering what the top three or four color choices were for the various lures that I can troll and/or cast.

I've got an assortment of various Wiggle Warts, Coyote Spoons, Brad's Super Cut-Bait Lures, and the ever popular Dick Nite Spoons (and others) so I want to make sure that I am loading the correct primary colors into my tackle box.

The only two Silvers that I've ever caught were off of the same red and white Dare Devil style spoon casting from shore farther upstream than what is open for the rest of the month of September.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Auburnguy

Auburnguy Active Member

Gotta have pink in there someplace......... wink:

I've also had nail copper Lil Cleo and 50/50 copper/silver Rvrfshr spoons. wink:

Hope that helps a little.
  3. Big Nookie

Big Nookie Member

In my opinion it doesn't matter too much. Lure action is way more important. Hungry coho bite anything. Of course nothing out fishes the real thing (herring).
  4. fishn2gthr4ever

fishn2gthr4ever Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Any color will work as long as it is green... wink: It would not hurt to have some pink and chartreuse stuff in the tackle box, too.
  5. Tyler_C

Tyler_C New Member

chartruese is one of the best in my opinion. Don't forget about orange, pink, and 50/50 silver brass
  6. psounder

psounder Member

Bait has always been my favorite. Natural color plug cut. If you are selective fishing try different color spoons such as cookies and cream, cop car or army truck and green hootchies as the bait will be used up fast. If you use hootchies use a small dodger to make it fun.
  7. steelyden1

steelyden1 Active Member

Nickle, brass and green. I agree that presentation and movement is most important. Coho will attack just about anything when you piss 'em off enough. I've seen guys get them on a nightcrawler, so whatever you put in front of them will work...when...they are in the mood to bite that is.
  8. codliveroil

codliveroil New Member

As far as twitching jigs , Cerise ,red ,pink , Purple with black head ,Lime , As far as Brads wigglers , I don't think they call it cerise . But cerise ,Frog green ,Black , I "Think " It has to do with visibility and or What the back ground is ,think Silhouette ,But every salmon seminar I go to it seems to be a purple ,green, or black ,or white ; It seems orange is less common but I gave caught them on it , I think it is action
  9. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Ok....time to put this to bed forever. Here they are in chronological order.

#1 - Herring, cut plugged and spinning. You CANNOT duplicate the real thing. You can imitate it well but nothing ever, and I mean EVER will replace it wink:

#2 Coho killer - army truck. Go ahead and put your silly spoons and hootchies against my money maker. Make sure you pay up after the tally is over :eek:

#3 MAJOR TIE

3a. Pink mini squid - they just work, period.
    3b. Green Ace Hi - easily could slide into #2 but not quite.
    3c. splatter back hootchie - also a damn close runner up

There you have it ... thank me later :mrgreen:

ok ... this dumbass thought we were talking salt clown: clown: clown: clown: clown: clown: clown: clown: clown: clown: guess my reading skills suck. For the Duwi ...

Orange wiggle wart

Dr death ...

Fire Tiger wiggle wart

pink vibrax
  10. codliveroil

codliveroil New Member

Well In the river I do well with everything I mentioned . I have plenty of coho pictures , I have not tried herring in a river

Attached Files:

11. Fish-Culture

Fish-Culture New Member

Hard to argue with some of the advice already posted. When the chips are down and you neeeed a fish, hard to beat the real thing, either herring in salt or shrimp/eggs in the river.
    When it comes to lure color, salt or fresh, I think it depends more on water color. In green water, I like green/green spatter. In clear blue, I like purple uv. In brownish river water, I like chartreuse or rocket red. Generally what is going to pop or contrast the most on the color scale. When it is low and gin clear, I like black and or purple.
  12. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

edited earlier post to reflect the duwi...
  13. Fish-Culture

Fish-Culture New Member

Hey Chuck,
    I like your lure choices, can I borrow your tackle box??
    It is amazing how well the army truck catches fish, have had it handed to me several times by that color scheme in several different styles of spoons, its now a go-to for me as well, coho killer, coyote, or kingfisher they all work.
  14. oneshot

oneshot New Member

from what i've read so far.. bring a rainbow and a pot of Coho will be at the end... clown:

green flavors are my go to's
  15. codliveroil

codliveroil New Member

But have you ever tried herring in a river for coho ? People do it for kings in the columbia and elsehwere I hear"
  16. Tyler_C

Tyler_C New Member

When it comes down to it, color isn't the primary thing that will hit fish. It has a factor in it, but not as much as ppl may think. If you get your flashy metal down where the fish are, odds are that you'll hit a fish. Color does have weight in the equation, but not as much as just finding the fish and putting it in front of their mouth.
  17. fishtale

fishtale Member

In the last 30 yrs of my fishing we had caught and landed hundreds of coho out of the rivers on herring!!
    You just have to make sure to keep the weeds off and keep it spinning and you will get them to bite!! Tup:
  18. eggster

eggster Active Member

Yes, in your favorite one mark. Get a good drillbit type spin on em and they work pretty good. Ill show you sunday wink:
  19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

when i fished commercial for salmons in ca we trolled throwaway spoons all 70 at once out of my 40' stickboat. we use all diffrent color watermelon to copper etc . i noticed top producer was silver with lite green spoon..for hoochie was purple haze they both nailed kings and hos. most landed was 360 fish in one day with those color
  20. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

yes but I prefer the artificials.

Bait always works ... however I use the latter items most, no mess of scales, no cost and they work pretty dang well.

The fire tiger is deadly wink:
Search tags for this page
best coho fall lure colors
best color for coho
best color for fishing coho salmon
best color lure for salmon
best colora forncoho
best colors for coho
best vibrax colors for coho
coho fishing lure colors

coho lure colors

top 10 coho lures