Steelhead jig color

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by hottshott206, Feb 20, 2010.

1. hottshott206

hottshott206 Active Member

So I was wondering what color jig would be the idea jig when steelheading for different types of water like clear low water, high low vis water, and so on. And would the bobber make a difference in different types of water too like smaller and less color ful bobber for low clear water and a big multi color bobber when high?
  2. nicknasty999

nicknasty999 Active Member

Well on this one it can be very broad. I carry probly 20 or so different colors with and me and one or two each just make sure I have everything covered. Pinks, whites, reds, purples, and blacks have all produced fish for me. Lower water smaller and darker. Suummer I run 1/16 oz black with a red head and catch fish. In the winter when the waters has some color 1/8 to maybe a 1/4 oz pinks and purples and oragnes work well. As for your float color doesn't mater all that much. Just remeber to match your float size to you weight and jig sizes. Such as if I'm running a 1/16 jig and that water is moving ok ill use 1/4 inline sinker with a 3/8 float. Beau mac floats work the best for me and same for the jigs except they don't make 1/16 oz which I like to have a few of and they also carry inline sinkers. Well yeah that will get you out fishing just make sure of this, long rod, braded line, and a whole mess of different jigs(unless you know that water right of the bat and do what I do and only carry what I plan on using) and know the what the water is doing. Let me know is this helps.... nick nasty.... deck hand... fishingforfunguideservice.com
  3. Bubba

Bubba New Member

Pink jigs work very well in all forms
    Black and red jigs, and EZ-EGG jigs... oops! did I actually say that!!!....... Make some up, you might be very surprised as to how well they will work for steelhead.......... And do not forget the old standby "the pink worm"
    Purple rabbit fur jigs work well .
    As far as bobbers are concerned........ color does not matter as much as how easy it will disappear when a strike happens.
    This is only my $ .02 cents worth of info I can share at this time.
    Bubba Tup:
  4. eddie

eddie Active Member

If there is color to the water, I like to use dark colors. If the water is clear, I like light colors.
  5. sr5mike

sr5mike Active Member

Like Bubba said if it is water that I hav never fished and have know info on I will throw pinks,peach,black,purple and red in that order. Jig size will determine color too. 1/16th is low clear water jigs 1/8th clear to green and 1/4 would be for darker faster water.
Search tags for this page

best color jigs steelhead fishing

what color jigs for steelhead