Game Fishing Forum banner

Skookumchuck River

Fishing Report 
36K views 403 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeeper2586 
G
#1 ·
Fished the skook for about three or four hours. Lots of spawned out silvers, nothing biting foul hooked a fish but that wasnt even a fight. Deer hunters had better luck than the fisherman.

G
#2 ·
Sat. fished the upper Skook up by the hatchery, about 10 miles outside Tenino. This is beautiful river, clear, lots of NICE holes with fish. If you fly fish this is your ideal river. Lots of silvers and some nice Kings are are starting to show. Cerise yarn only (no corkie) with a couple split shots on 18" leader. Eggs were also working quite well for a few folks.

G
#5 ·
fished the skook 2day lots of people out saw 4 steelies caught and guess what i caught...a 11# silver and not in bad condition,fish took a weighted red corkie and eggs under a float and i mean she really took it all the way past the tougne i guess she liked my eggs :) well i donno where all those steelies went 2much pressure,lack of fish,or maybe water clarity....??? freind caught 2 nice ones a week ago tho well good luck and see you there......fish!

G
#7 ·
I did see some fish coming out, But unless you are willing to pay the fine for fishing up above the line i wouldent give it a shot. Fished the skook 3 times, iv have 3 bites, and landed no fish. its slow and its still got a LOT of color. still needs more time to clear up.

G
#8 ·
Got to the skook about 7:15 no fish for me, except a whitefish. Fished til about 1:30 on mostly jig and bobbers. Bobber went down once, gave a head shake then off it came. Did see a few nice fish caught today though.

G
#9 ·
Fished the skook from 6:30 to 1:30. Water was a little high but had good color. I picked up one nice little hen on a pink jig and bobber at about 7am and my partner got one on a BC Steel spoon at about 10. Lots of people for a Tuesday!

G
#10 ·
Fished the upper Skook on 3/10/07 caught a 19 1/2 lb steele on rubber eggs and a small red corkie drifting, a little dark but in good condition. The only fish my buddie and I caught. We fished from about 6:30 to about 2:00. I caught this guy about 8:00. Seen five other fish caught that day. On the 10th we went again an my buddei caught a nice hen on eggs at about 11:00, 9 - 10 pounder. The last couple of weeks it has been dead, fish there but not bitting. Any body know if it has picked up.

G
#13 ·
Fished the riverbank along the farmer's field from about 7am-1230pm. Weather was great (freezing in the shade all morning), and the water looked good, but there were no steelhead to be had. I fished 7-8 different spots with no luck for myself. I crossed paths with 15-20 other people and no one had any fish, any strikes, or had heard of anyone else who had any sort of luck all morning. We've had no rain for a week or so....maybe that's the answer.

G
#14 ·
Went to the Skookumchuck and just nailed the steelhead, it was awesome. Everyone had fish. I was using nightcrawlers under a bobber with some split shot. If you get a chance to go I would. WHOOHOOO.

G
#16 ·
Ive been out there 5 times in the past 2 weeks and all ive caught is firetruck red Coho . I've fished from the deadline on the upper hatchery down to the mouth @ the park in centralia . I did get 2 cuts at the mouth last week but they were more like fingerlings lol .

Edited by Easy Limits on 12/8/2008.

G
#17 ·
Went to the Skook again and it was lights out. Steelhead and silvers all over. I must have seen 15 steelies caught and probably at least as many silvers. Most were caught plunking spinglo and nightcrawler at the safe hole and a few up at the big corner. I managed a nice limit of 8 lb hatchery steelhead and one big 16 plus christmas silver on bobber and nightcrawlers like usual. Its getting good and should only get better, good luck. Go get em....

G
#21 ·
Hit skookumchuck today; water pretty muddy still. Hooked an old boot silver, but no steelhead. Saw half dozen fisherman, but no fish taken. slow, slow, slow....weather great though, cold, foggy in AM; bright sunshine later.

G
#22 ·
I got to the river and there were quite a few people. Found a place to fish and 0 fish for me but up river a ways a guy hooked one but it got away. The river was dirty. Maybe a half inch visibility. I fished mid morning using bobber and jig, eggs and finally drifting a dick nite.

G
#23 ·
I got to the river around 9am and fished one area with FISHINROB. We didn’t see or feel anything so we moved upriver. Fished just above where I did the last two times I was there. Rob brought in a trout that he released. It had someone elses' corky and hook and line. Then I saw down to my right a bit, the head of a fish rise out of the water. I did get to see it later…a moldy looking silver. The guy below us caught one. He hooked several. Then we started to see V’s coming up river. That was about 11. I may have hooked one because as I pulled up (I was drifting) I saw the mouth of a fish come out of the water and my hook came out of the water and tangled with Rob’s bobber. He untangled us and we fished a little longer and then I lost my gear and it was time for me to go. I think the visibility might have been about 2 inches. I used eggs and bobber, bobber and jig, just a jig, spinners, and drifted corky and yarn, many different colors. Seeing those V’s in the river was exciting.

G
#24 ·
I got there around 9 and there was parking! This must mean that a lot of the fisher-guys are taking there sweethearts out for Valentines Day. The guys there had already hooked several. The river looked a little clearer than last week to me. That still means very few inches of visibility. One guy thought it was lower. I took the temperature and it was 38 degrees. . I used jigs of different colors, corkies of different colors and a Dick Nite spoon and only hooked an old silver but it was large and put a bend in the rod that I fixed up this summer. I had some cheap leader (6 lb) and the leader broke so the hook is still in the fish

G
#25 ·
Wow - this river was totally blown out!! I'm glad that Wannafish had some action, beause neither myself or anyone else I saw on the river was getting any. I'd guess that visibility was 2-3 inches. I fished from 8am-1pm and spent most of the time drifting a bobber with eggs, hoping that something might get a whiff of it. Nothing doing though. My excitement for the day was seeeing 43 elk in the main field by the road, a duck floating the stream, and an otter.

G
#26 ·
Unbelievable day pulling a small silver Rapala as a bait diver. The bait of course was pink powerbait with herring scales and 24 inches of 8lb mono leader. I got 4. Biggest was a 14lb hatchery hen. I seen the plunkers hole pretty crowded, none caught except mine. The take downs from this rig are violent. Tight lines everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.