Samish River Hatchery DONE

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by Oldschool, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Oldschool

Oldschool New Member

Attention:

We have just received word from workers at the Samish River Hatchery that they are scheduled to be shut down by the State of Washington due to budget cuts. The state has 4,000,000 in cuts scheduled, 2,000,000 of which are required. Some of the Washington Representitives are scheduled to visit the hatchery this Wednesday. This is a very important hatchery for the entire Puget Sound since it contributes 20% of the marked hatchery fish to the area fisheries. This cut will not only impact river fishing but most of the blackmouth fisheries (Marine Areas 8-1, 8-2, 9, and 7) will be shut down due to this cut according to hatchery officials and fisheries biologists due to the increased pressure on wild stocks. Please contact your local Washington State Representative if you wish to contest this decision. The link to the Washington Elected Officials contact information is below. You can find all of the necessary contact info on access.wa.gov. They will listen to thier consitiuents. As of today, it is reported that they have only received a few phone calls regarding this issue although it has not been publicized.

http://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/elected_officials.aspx

Anthon
    Holiday Sports
  2. Woodfighter

Woodfighter Active Member

Sent my letter to my rep in last week.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to cut something that generates revenue for the state.
  3. kingdaddy

kingdaddy Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Its a sad day for a sad fishery.
  5. kingdaddy

kingdaddy Member

People may not like the river fishery! but it provides immense opportunity in the salt that will be lost!!!
  6. River Jim

River Jim Active Member

I would imagine the tribe will step in and take over the hatchery, just a guess mind you but it would make sense.................for them to do so............RJ out.
  7. Big Nookie

Big Nookie Member

I don't think people realize how much of a loss this is. Its huge. Not becuase of the river fishery, I know some would disagree but thats the least of the loss. The real loss is the massive reduction of opportunity out in the straight. Expect chinook fishing at Neah Bay and Sekiu to take a major hit.
  8. kingdaddy

kingdaddy Member

You hit the nail on the head big nookie thank you!!!!
  9. kingdaddy

kingdaddy Member

10. River Jim

River Jim Active Member

It is my opinion that WDFW really does not want to be in the fish rearing business for us.........They like trout and that is the big money maker for them........This all plays well into the fact that the long term plan at WDFW is to eventually close all hatcheries...........If the tribe wants to step up and take over a hatchery I'm sure WDFW would be happy to give them the keys to the front gate..............RJ out.
  11. Oldschool

Oldschool New Member

Keeping this one at the top of the page more readers for this the better we all will be

Thanks
  12. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

For sure any hatchery closures affect lots of different fisheries it is important to keep in mind that the purpose of the Samish Chinook is to feed the terminal fisheries - in-river sport and the tribal and non-treaty commercial fisheries in Bellingham and Samish Bays.

Roughly 20% of the harvest of the Samish happens in BC, another 20% by the non-treaty local comercial fishery, and another 30% by the tibal local fishery. The various Washington recreational fisheries account for less than 20% of harvest with about 75% coming in the in-river fisheries.

Tight lines
    Curt
  13. fishinfoolz

fishinfoolz New Member

Aren't those numbers very similar to every system served by hatcheries Curt? In other words, don't they serve society's needs more-so than that of the individual sportsman or sport fishers...
  14. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Fishinfoolz -
    No they are not - the Samish is the only Puget Sound hatchery that is producing a Chinook return that the non-treaty Puget Sound commercial fleet targets. Remember for the rest of Puget Sound both coho and Chinook for the non-treaty fisheries the recreational fisheries have been established as the priority.

In fact the impacts from 3 hatcheries target for closures/reductions (Samish, Hood Canal, Nemah) will largely be felt by the commercial industry and in the case of the Samish and Nemah to a lesser degree the freshwater recreational fisheries.

For those recrational anglers that fish primarily the marine waters across the straits and Puget Sound the least painful Chinook reduction may well be the Samish. I'm not saying that there would not be some pain just not as much as some others.

BTW -
    There are clear benefits for wild Nooksack Chinook stocks with the elimination of the Samish operation.

Tight lines
    Curt
  15. fishinfoolz

fishinfoolz New Member

Aren't fish reared at nearly all hatcheries caught by commercial fishermen in the ocean?
  16. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Fishinfoolz -
    Correct PS hatchery Chinook are caught in the ocean in commercial fisheries. Those fisheries are troll fisheries in Alaska, off VAncouver Island, and off the Washington coast. While the harvest rate in those fisheries vary some depending on the stock in question it is typically the case approximately 5% of the total harvest of PS Chinook stocks occur in Washington troll fisheries. That harvest is split between tribal and non-treaty trollers with the non-treaty take typically approx. 1/3 of the total.

Note there also some Chinook caught by the treaty troll fishery in the Stratis that is above and beyound the ocean fishery (depending on the stock that take can be approximately 1 to 4% of the total).

Tight lines
    Curt
  17. fishinfoolz

fishinfoolz New Member

Thank you for your time Curt. I was under the assumption that commercial and tribal fisheries comprise a larger portion of catch than that of sport fishermen and women. Is that not the case?
  18. River Jim

River Jim Active Member

The tribe will more than likely step in on this situation so relax it's not over yet.........RJ out.
  19. stickfisher

stickfisher New Member

Many people despise the river fishery and the recent privatization and profiteering of the access to the river. If the tribes take over that hatchery it seems like there is a good chance the Swinommish will get their long sought gillnet fishery on the ditch...? That would put a damper on the mud wrestlers and make for a popcorn worthy showdown.
  20. River Jim

River Jim Active Member

I have fished here and caught fish legally by free drifting eggs for silvers........the snaggers are at the lower end and the sporties walk way up river and fish legally.........My hope for the area (salt) is that there would still be fish out in the bay to score if the tribe takes over the hatcher.........Lets hope they do.......Something here is better than nothing...It can be a fun fishery with float and eggs or free drifitng eggs especially around this one log hole I found..............RJ out.