Remembering Harley's Resort - LaPush

Discussion in 'The Camp Fire! General Discussions' started by Inlander, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Inlander

Inlander New Member

I'm wondering if any of you old-timers berthed at Harley's resort back in the day. If you did - do you have any picts you can scan and post? I can't find anything but old post cards when I google it - so it's like it never existed! My dad Myles Dustin and his AF ret. buddies Don Boles and Al McDonald used to run the place for the last two owners. I worked on the docks - pumping gas and outfitting rental boats - but those were fun days back in the summers of '76-'80. Thanks for anything - pictures or memories - you wanna post!

2. fishguidebrian

fishguidebrian New Member

My Buddy Bret Ferris worked up tehre back in the late 70s. I so did Grizz. I'll ask around about pics.

3. SalmonMan

SalmonMan Member

Came across this post and could not resist a reply...

I probably have some photos (in and around Harley's) on slide film buried deep in storage somewhere, would probably take a week to find them.

I was one of the two Port Samplers assigned to LaPush for WDF in 1976 and 1977. I probably ran into you on a regular basis down there at Harley's as we placed sampling effort on the sporty fleet mostly on the weekends.

Wild times indeed... 4th of July bicentenial celebration in Forks (bikers vs loggers) was one for the ages... record coho landings on the WA coast with a BIG portion of that coming through LaPush... 200-300 pukers per morning running out of LaPush on a regualr August weekend... 10-12 charter boats doing two trips per day each... wild times

4. HOBO98498

HOBO98498 Well-Known Member

Was this the post card you found?

Attached Files:

5. Gordywc1968

Gordywc1968 New Member

I was in La Push in 68 at 12 years old. Booked out of Harley's on the Silver King, & Mia Tai,
    also decked the Red Rooster , Linda Ray, & 2 and worked there for 3 seasons.. Good Times...
    The resort was owned by Glenn Coleman & he had 2 daughters & 1 son working summers there.
    Just reminiscing & found this blog.
    Gordy

• Like Like x 1
  6. coach

coach Member

When I was a kid (mid 60's to mid 70's)we used to fish ,out of Harley's almost every weekend in August and September. I have many great memories from those times. but hardly any pictures. I can remember one weekend I was cleaning fish (the fish cleaning area was right alongside the launch). A fella backed his new Cadillac, yellow with a white interior, to put his boat on the trailer. Well, he did not put it in park or put the e-brake on and it proceeded to roll into the water and under the fish cleaning dock. It was running also. Someone came across the bridge to Harleys with a big boom truck to pull it out ripped the bridge down with the boom. They finally got it pulled out and when the guy opened the door, it was full of rotten fish carcasses. I think that was totaled. I can also remember Butts Cafe,owned by Rosy and Harry Butts. I always found that comical. I can also remember seeing a living room flower box used a a manger fora horse that had a ramp into the living room and more derelict cars in LaPush than anywhere else. It was fun times and we caught more fish there than Neah Bay or Sekiu. Fun times!

7. Camo

Camo New Member

This is a flashback, I spent quite a bit of time up there as a kid. My grandfather used to take summers off and commercial fish out of there. My dad and I would go up on the weekends and fish with him and usually mixed in a couple week long family trips as well. This was in the mid '70s and I remember I was 8 YO dad and I took the boat out one evening to fish kings off the Skunk buoy. I ended up getting a 33# that night (well its been called mine as I remember handing the rod back and forth) shortly after we hooked another pig and when I went to go put the boat in neutral, I pulled it back to far, threw the prop in reverse and clipped the end of the rod off. Pretty heartbreaking since it was my fault. But that's never happened again. Lots of fun up there. I remember always wanting to go into Butts for pie and milkshakes, seemed like the best thing ever at the time.

I don't remember Harleys all that well but remember it being there. So not much help, just some more useless information on my part.

8. Michelle Caudill

Michelle Caudill New Member

My parents bought Harley's from Glenn and Mary in 1969. Jim and Kay Caudill. I know that I have an old picture somewhere. I will find and post. I remember Don and Al.
    Favorite memory...my sister and I were only 7 and 8 when we moved to LA Push. People would pay us to stand next to their catch. Made the salmon look even bigger.
    Harley's, Chinook and the Surf resorts are all gone now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HOBO98498

HOBO98498 Well-Known Member

Kay Caudill.jpg

I would love to se some pics. Thanks for the input and Welcome. Is this your Mom?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  10. Michelle Caudill

Michelle Caudill New Member

Yes. We lost Mom to cancer March 25, 2014. Dad passed away on February 8, 2015.

11. Buddy Blair

Buddy Blair New Member

I too was 12 in 1968.
    My Dad and I commercial fished out of Harleys resort.I can remember Glenn and Mary and his daughters running the place.it was quite a awesome place to grow up as a kid, at 12 when not working on the boat,I would go down to the boat docks and clean dalmon and fillet ling cod for extra money,@ยข25 a fish,I would make sometimes $5 dollars a day on good days.I can remember one time a boat was coming in and I was going to help them with their line, and the man standing on the bow was holding the rope and the boat was about 5 feet from the dock and all of a sudden he stepped off the boat,well came to realize he WAS very drunk, but when he came back up he had sobered up a little not much, but enough to realize what had happened.
    Our favorite place to eat was Butts cafe.
    That was a real treat,I would get a cheese burger fries chocolate shake and a slice of banana cream pie.oh those were the days.my name is Buddy Blair and my Dad's name was Jerry.

12. Hopeless Chuck

Hopeless Chuck New Member

I salmon trolled out of La Push from 75 t0 80, loved Butts cafe for the 2nd story view it had of the bar crossing. I fished with the sons of the managers of Butts. We would go to Harleys occasionally, the cook out there now has a small pizza place in Port Angeles, Drakes Pizza. I love La Push and still visit every year to watch gray whales play in the surf. Hopeless Chuck.

Search tags for this page
butts cafe stiil at la push wa
harley resort lapush

harleys resort la push

harleys resort wa
la push resort