Quinault Bear Hunt

Discussion in 'Feathers & Fur! All about hunting' started by spanky444, Feb 19, 2012.

1. spanky444

spanky444 New Member

I am kickin aroung the idea of going on this hunt, i am a little leary about going on a reservation on a hunt. A few horror storys always make a person think twice. Does anyone have a experience going there on a hunt? Is this really a good idea? I will be alone on this trip and dont need any problems! I have never paid anyone to hunt before but I am a slave to my job and dont have much time off during the year except the month of October.
  2. WhiteDog

WhiteDog Active Member

I know several people that have had great experiences. Probably depends upon whom you hire. I'm thinking of paying for hunt out there also.
  3. spanky444

spanky444 New Member

I want to hire somebody that does what they advertise, I don't know who the good ones are? I googled it and a few names came up.
  4. Fish Guy Keith

Fish Guy Keith Moderator Staff Member

I think Steve has done this before ... he goes by fishpimp on the site here. Shoot him a PM Tup:
  5. GreatNWRiversGS

GreatNWRiversGS Active Member

Go with tater, he got a me a nice bear last year..... its a fun hunt and I do it yearly.
  6. WhiteDog

WhiteDog Active Member

Tater would be one of the best. There are others. Ted Nugent scored a nice one several years ago out there.
  7. TheHunt

TheHunt New Member

Hmmm... You are taking your chances over there for sure. As long as you understand you could get a complete jackass for a guide then you are good to go.

Some of the guides want you to kill a sow because it is a bear. They could careless if it is a sow or boar as they put a bear in front of you and you did not shoot. That was your choice and you are done.
  8. WhiteDog

WhiteDog Active Member

You can say exactly the same regarding a non-tribal guide for an off reservation hunt. Unless you take the time to do the research necessary you are always taking a chance.
  9. JJHACK

JJHACK Moderator Staff Member

You wont be taking any chances at all hunting with me. Over two decades and over 400 hunters now without a single complaint. Google my name something like "who has hunted with JJHACK" or something like that.

I don't do bears anymore, but I can put you on more amazing game then you have ever dreamed of for under 5000 bucks!
  10. WhiteDog

WhiteDog Active Member

Anyone looking for such a guided hunt would in the course of doing their due diligence of checking a guides credentials find that to be very true. On the other hand there's going to be some so called guides out there that are not like yourself. It's up to the person seeking a guided hunt to do the work checking those credentials.
  11. GreatNWRiversGS

I had no issued shooting a sow last year, she had no cubs, had a gorgeous coat and gave me a chip shot.. she also was super tasty and looks great on my wall wink: 3605808096 give tater a call
  12. MYSTICAL LEGENDS

MYSTICAL LEGENDS Active Member

Better do your research..Make sure your not sharing the stand with someone else.Be ready to hunt when your guide want you to hunt. Could be a last minute text that tells you your hunting in the morning at 11am. Personally, JJ would be a better choice.
  13. WhiteDog

WhiteDog Active Member

Yes he would be if he guided for Black bears. Just like hiring any guide including those for fishing the client should ask questions and check up on whom they may be hiring.
  14. spanky444

spanky444 New Member

Ya, I have thought better of going out there and hunting with them. Would like to get a bear but not on a hunt like this. I will stay around here and maybe one day I will find one. Thank you to all that took the time to help me out on the information you gave. clap:
  15. gear addict

gear addict Active Member

They will supply you with a list of guides. Get it, and make some calls. Some of the guides will send you some pics of bears they have comming in.

I have checked into this. Like ML sais. Be ready to jump when you get the call. You will not be on the stand all day. Most likely just morning, and evening. It will also not be a full service hunt. At least thats what I found out from my research. You will make your own arangements. I was going to stay at Amanda park. Bring my own meals...etc. I'm sure you will find a guide that will show you some places to fish to kill time, but you will need to have phone service if you are awaiting a call. For the money it might cost to shoot a big bear. You can find a all inclusive hunt somewere else. It still would be fun! It just depends on what you are looking for in a hunt. Things may have changed the last few years. Maybe there are some guides that put you up. I found a guy that was willing to let me help with the work, but for me there was too much down time. If you just want to go shoot a bear or two, and are not fussy. I'm sure you can do it. Don't let the horror stories scare ya. Do the homework, and go. There are at least a half dz good guides ready for the task. Just reading this post has me fired up. I wish I had the time. I have a new AR that needs blood on it.

Looks like your putting this on the back burner so I'm a little late here...I might dig out my homework, and try to squeeze this into my scedule. Tup: Tup:
  16. GreatNWRiversGS

When I hunted last fall it was a all day hunt, I was in the stand from daylight till dark......... you can not beat it for the $$$ look elsewhere.. you will spend 2-3 times the money and have to buy even more expensive out of state/country tags. spend way more to fly or drive there and get your bear/meat home........ I killed mine for way less then 2 grand and that included lodging, food, tip and gas. Good luck even touching that number anywhere else.