Game Fishing Forum banner

Puyallup River

Fishing Report 
69K views 2K replies 15 participants last post by  Y2SAYS 
G
#1 ·
Went to the yallup twice in the last week. Fishing is pretty slow, but the few fish I've seen have been beautiful. No luck myself. Seen a lot of darker colors being used. Water is high and silty.

Good luck!

Edited by on 8/21/2008.

G
#2 ·
I live in Puyallup and constantly fish it. And for all its worth it is way to muddy to catch anything. It is a good river when it is low and clear, but as of right now, th e fishing is horrible

G
#4 ·
On Aug 10th I took the kids to my favorite spot on the puyallup at Alderton. The river was muddy with about 3 inches visibility. Needless to say I casted with lures and got not bites. On Aug 11th I went to the beach at Browns Point lighthouse around 5:30 am expecting silvers to be running. I casted for about 2 hours with no bites. The silvers seem to be running late this year. Ron

G
#5 ·
Off to special spot with friends , after quarter mile of bank walking , came to head of nice hole, first cast fish on , to late to set hook , another sandshrimp strip, of red yarn same place, fish on, bit of a fight snap goes the leader, well 1000 more cast should put one on the permit.

G
#6 ·
Fished the puyallup this morning with a couple of friends. Got there at 5:30 to find it completely blown out. Did see one fish caught but wasnt worth sticken around and getting wet over. I'll be back next weekend. Tight lines.....

G
#8 ·
Did the Puyallup this afternoon. Lower river was running at 1900CFS. Water temp 48. Visibility 3 ft. Caught a smallish Dolly. Kind of surprised. Heard of 3 steelies caught, but didn't see it with my own eyes, so take that for what it's worth

G
#10 ·
There's a bright hen swimming around in the Puyallup proudly wearing my HotShot as her newly aquired lip piercing ornament. I got her all the way to the bank, then stupidly tried to hoist her up. She said NO! Expensive lesson. How ever, I did score big with 2 big bags of "Baggem". Lots of that around. Baggem's making a much stronger run this year than the steelheads. No other action this morning.

G
#11 ·
Went down to the Puyallup this morning. Missed my only strike at 9:15AM. 9:30AM saw a hook up in the hole above. I could see his pink side planer dancing on his line as he fought the fish. Looked like he landed, took picture, and released it. Probably a wild fish. Water was low and clear, about 870CFS. Air temp 47. Water temp 41.

G
#12 ·
The Puyallup as a whole seems to be in terrible shape right now.I have been up and down the river and not even a nibble.I guess things should get better when the river rises.anyone have any luck?

G
#14 ·
Hello all-I went down this morning and the fish are all over the place.I couldnt seem to get a strike though and I didnt see anyone else get any either.I will try again later today.The water seems to be clearing up and I think I will switch to red yarn-Thanks for the tip.

G
#15 ·
Fish all over is right! It is really tough to get them to hit anything, however I did get a 22lbs king saturday mornning. It was a great fish. Hopefully this rain wont blow the river out too bad. Also I heard their starting to see a few humpies.

G
#17 ·
Fished Anton's ( approx. 6 others on the bar) 1pm till 4pm. Caught and released a shaker. Saw some large ones swimming up stream, but nothing biting. Tried roe, corky, and lures. A good fishing buddy caught a 41 lb King last Tuesday... but you can take that with a big grain of salt!

G
#18 ·
This is starting to annoy me-The river is full of fish but so muddy I cant get them to see my hook.I was down by antons yesterday around 7:00 and I could see them swimming around my line but no strikes.Ive tried herring oil but that doesnt seem to work.Any ideas?

G
#21 ·
Fished alderton bridge sat.& sun. saw plenty rolling, one guy hooked a small one with a spinner, but that was it.Only the 3rd time I have fished this river, could use some advice fishing this muddy water...

G
#20 ·
Fished Saturday (9am - 2pm )nothing personally, but an old timer hooked a nice sized one right next to me, but lost it when he tried to land it. A lady two spots down took home a King and two 8lb. silvers. All were plunkng with roe, corky, and yarn about 10 to 15 ft. off the bank. Fished Sunday (1pm - 6pm ) nothing personally, and I saw nothing else landed that time period either. Although, I was told some silvers were brought in up till noon.

G
#22 ·
Fished The Puyallup down by Anton's had maybe one bump for the three hours I fished Sat. evening. Saw a few fish roll but no one I saw there caught anything. I was drifting corkies and yard and tried lures as well. Headed up to the Christmas tree hole, nothing happening there either. Sunday while driving on river road next to Puyallup I noticed several Puyallups setting out gill nets. This is the first I have seen them out this year. Sure doesn't look like the fish have much of a chance of getting those maze of nets upstream to me!

G
#25 ·
Bill - I'm with you, I like to offer a moving presentation, but I'm going to try something new tonight. A friend of mine suggested plunking with a dodger - gotta do something to stir up their attention. Either way, it can't be any less successful than what I've been trying so far...

G
#23 ·
Blaze - I live adjacent to the river in between the 5th Street Bridge and the 512 bridge. I have seen the nets dating back to Tuesday the 14th. It seems they are generally out there Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday pm.

G
#24 ·
Larry, the most effective way to fish this murky water seems to be plunking with a spin-n-glow with a glob of eggs. Then just sit and wait and wait for the Salmon to run into it. I can't stand to just sit there so I drift with eggs and corkie. Spinners work but mostly for the smaller Salmon but use a sinle hook as trebles snag too easily in the rocks. There is hope, as the weather cools and the higher elevations freeze over night the river will be clearer in the mornings and the fishing should improve. Check the weather forecasts and look for freezing levels below 5,000 feet.

G
#26 ·
Thanks for the response bill, was at alderton at daybreak this morn., a few fish rolling again i through everything i had at them spin&glow, spinners, flatfish,spoons,corkie&yarn, and nothing..... maybe i should have tried the eggs i had in my vest, well maybe tonight. Thanks again; maybe i will see ya on the river sometime....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.