Game Fishing Forum banner

Kennedy Creek

Fishing Report 
13K views 39 replies 2 participants last post by  bryan trent 
G
#1 ·
On thursday i went to Kennedy and hooked probably ten chum but only landed two. their biting on green corkies and yarn or chartruse (?) corkies. The biggest one i pulled out was 12 pounds and about 34 inches. Close the the highway 101 bridge is a sweet spot for those who dont like getting very muddy. good luck

G
#3 ·
I STARTED FISHING AT LOW TIDE, AND THE BITE WAS ON. PROBABLY HOOKED INTO 65 FISH, NO JOKE. I ONLY LANDED 49 OF THE 65 FISH I HOOKED, PRETTY GOOD PERCENTAGE HEY. I CAUGHT ONLY ONE REALLY SUPER BRIGHT ONE. IT WAS ABOUT 5 POUNDS. I SAW PROBABLY ANOTHER 100 FISH CAUHT, IDIOTS SNAGGING THEM ALL. IF YOU WANT TO CATCH THEM IN THE MOUTH USE A BIG GREEN CORKIE, TIED AROUND THE BAITLOOP OF A 2/0 SIZE HOOK. THEN USE A THREE AND A HALF TO FOUR FOOT LEADER. GOOD LUCK!

G
#5 ·
Fished tide changes...both low-to-hi & hi-to-lo. Lots of fish coming in on the low-to-hi, but had some line/rod issues so only got one good-sized chum buck which I put back into the creek. Had several other "quickie" hooks, but wasn't able to get them in. Moved down to the bridge at hi tide. Within 5 minutes had one on, but lost it. A few minutes later got a nice buck, but the muddy water finally got to my main line, and lost that one too. Stuck around for the hi-to-low tide change...good thing I did because the fish came up the creek in droves. The first batch was to the North of a tree that is midstream, down about 30 yards from the Hiway 101 bridge. Caught and kept a 10lb fairly bright hen. Then the fish switched to the South side of the submerged tree. Caught and kept a really bright 7-8lb hen from that side. Caught and released probably 15 other chums...wrist was sore as hell by dark, but what a kick!

Was using 12lb test line...3ft leader, 1-0 hook, with 2 medium size corkies (one was dark green, the other was 2-toned with bright green and chartreuse). Also had a multi-toned, small corky in between the 2 larger ones...green, chartreuse, white, & pink. Also had a small bit of chartreuse yarn. Also used 1oz of lead to hold the "offering" steady in the current. Casted beyond the "swarm", and gently reeled it into the edge of the fish group. Waited until I got a solid hit, and yanked. Of all the fish I pulled in, only one was a foul hook...all the rest were in the mouth. I expect the run to last maybe another week, so if you're interested in doing a lot of fish fighting, Kennedy creek is the place. Based on 2 days of fishing there, I've deducted the bucks outnumber the hens on the low-to-hi tide change, and vice versa on the hi-to-low.

Oh yeah...have heard Minter Creek has yet to show any chum.

G
#6 ·
chum are running thick went on friday and was outta there in 30 min with 2 huge chum one was about 17 +. took my daughter. on saturday she hooked 2 nice bigbucks 10- 15 lb at the hole at the bridge as the tide dropped I moved below the log and got a real nice hen 8 lb and a medium buck 12lb. The fish were everywhere she had a blast. people were hookin up all over the place, didnt matter where you were standing used green corks with chatreuse yarn

G
#7 ·
Actually fished Perry Crk & Mud Bay. Had 3 on at Perry Crk...2 hens & 1 buck, using 2 purple feathers tied to shank of 1/0 hook w/a multi-colored,medium-sized corky (green, white,chartreuse, & pink)close to the hook and a small, pink & white corky above. All fish were hooked in the mouth, but tossed back. Fished during hi-to-lo tide change...fish were coming in groups, but as the tide got lower, they were coming in 1-2's. Moved to bridge on Mud Bay Rd. Fished the North side, kind of plunking the same rig about mid-stream. Once again, had 3 fish hit, with one keeper...a pretty-bright buck...all three fish taken in the mouth. Meat was still solid orange when filleted. First time I've fished these two places, so it was a treat to get some luck.

G
#8 ·
Fished yesterday & today. Yesterday was ok, but today was much better...lots more fish running up the creek. Was at the meathole for the first couple of hours. Two on the bank there, and around 5 others hooked but lost. Nearly all of the chum, mine included, have color. Saw only a couple that could be called bright/chrome. They are on the smallish size as well. Also fished upstream along the bank and hooked and landed one fairly bright buck. Even though all my fish were fair hooked, I put them back because I was looking for chromers like a caught last year.

Was using some of the new UV coated corkies...green and silver...they seem to work well, because I had more fish hit than most others there. Time will tell when I hit the Nisqually...was there yesterday after Kennedy Crk, but saw nothing happening.

Edited by Easy Limits on 11/6/2008.

G
#9 ·
Hit the creek as the tide was on it's way out. Went straight to the meat hole for a couple hours. Hooked up a couple times. Well...the creek is full of fish. However, they all look like they died a couple weeks ago and didn't get the message. Sort of a fish version of "night of the living dead." Hundreds of old boots, not a chromer in sight..

G
#10 ·
There was seriously 80 people fishing Kennedy today. Lots of chums being caught but it was a mess. Garbage everywhere, people standing right in the middle of the creek snagging, the whole nine.

G
#11 ·
Stopped by with my buddy and his brother. Fished for a couple of hours. I caught none but my friends brother landed one chum that looks pretty good and lost another. The reports on here maybe accurate but I saw 90% zombies and a few people attempting to snag dead fish. This place has some huge chums though. We saw a 34+ incher that was fighting for dear life and croaked once the tide went out.

G
#13 ·
Hey Admins, the place where you can do most fishing on Kennedy Creek is in MASON COUNTY! Anyway....got there at low tide and the Meat Hole was the best producer. I had one on for about 2 minutes...a real brute. My guess is it was 15+ lbs. One guy got 2 really nice, bright hens, but otherwise it was really slow. They are late like all of the other fish runs. Give it a week or so.

G
#20 ·
Got to the creek just after low tide this morning (6:30) and saw about 15+ others from the meat grinder hole down towards the plateau. Started up near the bridge and worked my way down towards the shallow bend and only saw 2 dark ones fighting for life drifting down stream. Spent over 3 hours, until the tide was coming higher and didn't see any hookups from anyone. Talked to a guy that said they ran last night, but didn't even see them in the creek.

G
#21 ·
Well, decided to go and try it again today. Hit it for another good 3 hours or so during low to incoming tide with 8 others and only saw 2 hookups. One was almost dead, drifting down current and the other was tail snagged by a fly fisher. More dead bodies on shore than yesterday, but still no fish in the creek. People were fishing everywhere from the bridge to midway down the creek, but no luck.

G
#22 ·
Stopped today to talk to a another person at parking lot. No big sign that much is there yet. Saw one caught at lower end of tide, and saw that it was very dark, and was returned to stream....

G
#24 ·
Went to the Creek shortly after low tide...stayed until almost high tide. Fished at the Meat Hole...lost count at the number that I partially hooked. Was able to land one hen that was colored...got lots of roe, but the meat was musy...good crab bait. About 1/3 of those I saw were bright, but most were taking on their spawning colors. Even so, it was fun to fight them feisty fishies. Was using Chartereuse Aero Drifters w/a very-small orange corky on top of that. Methinks it really doesn't matter what you use at the Meat Hole...all ya gotta do is get your lure into "the spot" where the fish are. Saw a couple of Fly Fisher guys who were using nothing but Chartreuse Yarn drifting their "goodies" thru the drift at the hole...basically flossing like I saw on the Kenai for Sockeye. Whatever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.