Jig/Fly tying kit

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by fishing bear, Dec 25, 2012.

1. fishing bear

fishing bear Active Member

I'm looking at starting to tie my own jigs. I have been playing around with it a little using a pair of vise-grips for a vise and I'm looking to upgrade. Has anyone bought a starter kit with a vise and tools that they are happy with or am I better off buying separate components? Also what is the best bang for your buck?

2. Gotem_Large

Gotem_Large Member

There is a Anglers Choice kit with everything you need in it for around $25.

3. Adam

Adam Member

I would by separately. Sportsmans has a decent vise black/brass colored one for 20. I recommend getting atleast two ceramic bobbins. Using fine thread idk how many times I've broke right at the very end.

4. beachbum97

beachbum97 Member

I have a kit from cabelas for $30. It has everything you need to get you started.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Active Member

The starter kits generally include pretty basic equipment. They will work ok, but if you find you really enjoy tying you'll be upgrading soon.
    Buying quality tools separately and spending a bit more will make your tying more enjoyable.

6. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Member

Start with a good tabletop vise, auburn sports has a good setup for around $50. The right scissors and Kevlar thread will make life much easier. As you progress upgrade your tools.

7. Gotem_Large

Gotem_Large Member

I have had the same vise for almost 8 years. Bought it when I first started working there.

8. fishing bear

fishing bear Active Member

Thanks for all the replies. I hate junk so I think I will start with a good vise and a few basic tools that Toni PMed me about and go from there.

9. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Member

Not to hijack the thread,but does anybody know where to get glow materials? Thread, paint, floss, etc ?I got a few ideas I want to try.

10. killin-chrome

killin-chrome Member

Works great been using his kit for the ???years...little tip use clear UV nail polish rather then superglue or whatever it is you had in mind.

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Active Member

As far as paint, CS Coatings makes both glow powder coat and vinyl paints. They also make a UV Blast and UV seal coat.
    If you can't find these locally at your favorite tackle Shop, you can order them online.

Several companies are now producing UV marabou and bucktails. UV flash material such as Krystal Flash are also now available. Your local fly shop can order those for you. Puget Sound Fly Co in Tacoma is the best south sound fly shop.

SF

12. Auburnguy

Auburnguy Active Member

I love CS's vinyl paints. Very durable and easy to dip apply. Good stuff! Tup:

I'm not big on the powder coatings as it seems they chip fairly easily compared to vinyl when the jigs come in contact with any rocks.

13. Stonefish

Stonefish Active Member

I use vinyl as well. You'll lose the jig before it ever chips. Great stuff!

14. FishStalker

FishStalker New Member

I use the powder coat and bake it in the oven for 20 mins and it comes out extremely solid. Best lure/jig paint I have ever used.

15. peyton00

peyton00 Well-Known Member

I like the vinyl, it seems to dent up before it chips away.

16. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Member

I looked at several materials sites and as far as glow materials this guy had the most as far as colors and variety. Dougswisher.com.

Search tags for this page

jig tying vise kits

jig tying vises