Game Fishing Forum banner

Green River

Fishing Report 
48K views 1K replies 4 participants last post by  THE TRAPPER 1 
G
#1 ·
Well after reading some of the other reports I thought I would give Geyser Park a try. Around 9 am I hit the beach and nothing for a hour. Then I thought I was snagged and started to figure, here I go again, but to my surprise "poof" out of the water came a large trout, 17 inches and I don't know how much he weighed but tasted good "yum yum". Wanted - fishing buddy to fish the Green River and so on. I don't have any experience on the Rivers but want to learn. If someone's willing to take a novice out with a great attitude email me.

G
#2 ·
Fished the Green River today. It was great action with plenty of bites. The water was sludge below Flaming Geyser because of claybank. Low and clear water throughout most of the Flaming Geyser. Caught and realeased 15 inch rainbow on prawns after an hour of unsuccessful worm fishing. Hooked nice native, but it broke my line. My dad let me real in a nice native, about 11 lbs. Nice and chrome. Dad hooked another nice one that got away. Another guy trout fishing hooked several 12-14 inchers on jarred eggs. For steelhead use prawns with no corkys or yarn in clear water. For trout use tiny hooks with prawns or eggs. Small spoons or spinners are good for the bigger pools. Great action, lots of bites. Great place to try fly fishing.

G
#7 ·
I went down on my day off for about 2.5 hours to fish the Green River down across from the golf course. The water was clear and low. It looked fishable. However I did not see any fish in the water. I was hoping to catch an Atlantic.
Ron

G
#8 ·
July 11th 1999, submitted by Ron
I went with a buddy and we fished the area down stream from Flaming Geyser State Park. We fished several hours throwing eggs, prawns, lures, and even a vibra max. Not one bite. The water was clear and swift. We fished several nice holes. On a side note we also observed a lot of trash left from parties. The ranger and a crew had a wheel barrow to haul away all the trash. He told us this is very common during the summer. If you see someone littering the shore report them.
Ron
Tazztoo@aol.com

G
#9 ·
Read about the Whitefish below the Hwy. 18 bridge, so decided to give it a try. I didn't buy the flies from Auburn Sports and Marine like suggested so just tied on a single nymph, size 10, tipped with maggots. Added a few split-shot about 24 inches above and gave it a try. Didn't catch a single whitefish but was able to land and release four trout in two hours. Two brookies or browns, not sure which, one cutt and a nice rainbow that went about 16 inches. Was hoping for a whitefish to see how they fight but the action was outstanding none the less. There were three older gentlemen knocking them dead all around me.

G
#10 ·
Well thought we would try the Green River for those mysterious stealhead...no such luck. There were many anglers out...perfect day at "flaming gieser park", but only one story of a fish on. Maybe it will pick up soon

G
#11 ·
Went to the hwy 18 bridge to catch some whitefish. Got the the river at about 1:00 in the afternoon. There was someone fishing the hole when I got there. I rigged up my whitefish nymphs and started casting. I fished along side the other angler for about 1 1/2 hrs. No fish, no bites. The Oldtimer that was fishing next to me was getting ready to head out. He stopped and talked to me for a bit. He said the water was not clear enough, that the whitefish usually only bite on very clear water. He said that if you have not had any bites after an hour or so of fishing then you might as well leave. He showed me his setup up. He was using a small hook, all it had on it was a little piece of red yarn tipped with a maggot. He had one tied about 10" up from his dropper weight and the another one up about 18". Both were tied off the main line with about 10" of leader. I fished for about another 1/2 hour then bagged it for the day.

G
#12 ·
Was fishing the green back in August of '99 and hooked eight Chum Salmon, I kept getting buck fever and the hooked popped out of them all. Two were using a fly rod, with a piece of bright green yarn for a fly. Green yran seemed to be the ticket that day. I was fishing near Flaming Geyser from the shore.

G
#15 ·
Caught two trout off an elk hair caddis dry fly at the Horseshoe Hole just down from the Cumberland Bridge. A good day, but, no steelies to be found in this area. Is Steelie Dan becoming a trout bum?

G
#17 ·
Fished the Green today below Soos creek with two buddies. Arrived at the crack of dawn, pressure was high with approx. 30 or 40 other anglers. Drifted corkies/yarn, and just corkies. Fished till noon with action being fairly slow, one fish per person at best. Saw fish cought on spinners, eggs, corkies, etc. Size or color didnt seem to matter..10,000 coho's at the hatchery so far, a much better run then last year. Tight lines

G
#18 ·
Fished the Green near the Auburn soccer fields. We started with pink/orange corky & green yarn on 1/2 oz of lead with krill and shrimp scent. Nothing. Switched to float and jig in a couple different colors including pink, white, black, red. Nothing. Put some shrimp on each and that didn't help. Lots of fish rolling, just none interested. We were after chums but saw quite a few red coho jumping as well. Another guy said he was catching 8 fish a day the last few days but today he got skunked too.

G
#19 ·
Steelies at the meeker brige in Kent. I think these fish are moving up the river at a fast pace but notice one angler that caught a hatchory one around 3 lbs (20 inch range). I suspect the winter run is on...

G
#20 ·
Fished raindbow corkies and pink yarn all along Green River road, didn't get anything. Went top the fly rod and got a few hits on a olive wooly bugger. Saw a lot of beat up fish swi9mming, I even got hit in the leg by one. I talked to one guy who said the steelhead and chums were being caught near the soccer fields and across from the golf course.

G
#26 ·
GREEN RIVER, KENT, [FIRST FISHING SHACK DOWNSTREAM FROM WEST VALLEY HIGHWAY]....WATERS IN GREAT SHAPE, DROPPING AND CLEARING. NICE FAST HOLE CLEAR OF SNAGS, BANK STOMPED DOWN ON TWO LEVELS WITH LOTS OF ROOM TO WORK FISH AND CAST. NOTHING HITTING TODAY {AT NOON BREAK} MIGHT BE A GOOD SPOT TO WORK AT NIGHT [IF YOU DON'T WAKE THE HOMELESS GUY STAYING OVERNIGHT.]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.