Fishing techniques with Buzz Bombs?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by purpledawgfan, May 18, 2009.

1. purpledawgfan

purpledawgfan New Member

Hello to all,

I am just starting to get back into fishing (mainly Salmon via Marine 11 and Puyallup river when open) after 10 year absence and was wondering if anyone knew some techniques to using a buzz bomb and catching salmon. I don't have a boat and will be Pier fishing and shore fishing on the Puyallup.

I'm wondering about scent techniques, knot tying techniques, casting and weights, really any information you guys might be able to pass on regarding Buzz Bombs and catching fish (mainly Salmon). Thanks for all you help. I'd like to learn the techniques before the season gets fully under way so I'm not wasting valuable fishing time. :cool:

2. nb1000

nb1000 New Member

you cant use buzz bombs in the puy... in the salt tho, cast and retrieve like you normally would, in the puy, there will be many different techniques you can use, corkies, cork and yarn, spoons, spinners, bait, jigs, ect....when drift fishing, use your standard knots, weight will depend on river level and flow.... the lower puy is different from the upper, its sandy down low so if you have to much weight, you will just drag in the sand and it may feel like you arent deep enough.... last year it was to the point were i was using about 1/2-3/4 of an inch of lead, very very light....but later in the season when the levels raise, you might need 4 inches in some cases....all depends on level and flow....

3. Jerry Garcia

Jerry Garcia New Member

Some people cast them and jig them back, some cast and retrieve them like a spoon.

4. Cheez

Cheez Active Member

Just a reminder - no more treble hooks for buzz bombs when going for salmon in the salt (freshwater too, when the anti-snagging rule in effect).

From the regs:

Hook and line angling - Unless noted
    differently, only one line with up to 2 hooks is
    allowed. Barbless hooks are required for all
    species in Marine Areas 5-13, except forage
    fish jig gear. When fishing for SALMON in Marine
    Areas 1-13, only single-point hooks may be used.

5. nb1000

nb1000 New Member

thats a very good point cheez...swap the trebles out with sickle siwash hooks....

6. islandbass

islandbass Active Member

It's pretty mindless. You can jig it both horizonatally and vertically as it will be done at Dash Point. The instructions on how to fish it are actually on the back of the buzz bomb package. You might want to scrounge up the last few at joes, regardless of the color. I take, prime them with white spray paint and color them with Cerise spray paint when I can't buy them pink.

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Active Member

Don't be afraid to experiment with Buzz Bombs as well.
    I've seen folks add a small hoochie skirt underneath them or tie marabou feathers on a siwash for added action. There is a guy I met that even cuts and files them to make them look like a cut plug. That is a lot of work in my opinion, but the guy catches fish on them.
    Another great lure off the beaches for silvers is a hoochies / spinner combo.

8. fshwithnoeyes

fshwithnoeyes New Member

Read this article on buzz bombin'

Wait...how come the web address changes after I post???

anyways, go to

salmon

university

dot

com and on the left there is a link to buzz bomb techniques...good article.

What am I not allowed to have a link on this site? Just trying to help a brother out.

9. wannafish

wannafish Well-Known Member

YEP.

10. fshwithnoeyes

fshwithnoeyes New Member

11. purpledawgfan

purpledawgfan New Member

Ya, I read the back of the package, but wanted to know if anyone had any other suggestions. I will switch hooks, since I was using a banned one. I put a little scent on it with a little weight so I can cast it out there a ways.

I was thinking of just trying different combos of spinners, hoochies, buzz bombs, spoons, scents and live bait. I will borrow a kayak come actual season and head out a little farther.

12. nb1000

nb1000 New Member

you wont need any weight if you are using a 3 in buzz bomb...the weight could actually make it more difficult...even a 2 in you wont need any weight, you should still be able to cast out quite far....

Search tags for this page
buzz bomb baits
buzz bomb fishing techniques
buzz bomb lure
buzz bomb lure fresh water
buzz bomb weight casting
buzz bombs techniques for freshwater
fishing buzz bomb
fishing buzz bombs
how to fish a buzz bomb
salmon fishing set up for using buzz bomb from shore
slamon fishing set up shore buzz bomb