Distracted? ... Inslee knows if you are.

Discussion in 'NFR - Politics! Discussion and Debates' started by jimh, May 17, 2017.

1. jimh

jimh Well-Known Member

Another law to improve the driving in the state. I'd be glad if it did anything positive.

I'm not seeing any rules against talking to people in the car, looking at your pets/kids in the back seat, changing the radio station, adjusting mirrors, or similar. I'm also not seeing any rules against bicyclists or pedestrians paying attention. It's ok to hold a two-way radio ... I'm not sure how that is safer. ;)

While we are at it, if it is truly unsafe, why are there exceptions for govt employees? If you wondering, I don't expect the law to impact me, but I also think there are some that can't resist passing a new law.

Gov. Inslee to sign bill making holding cellphones while driving illegal

"Personal electronic device" includes, but is not limited to, a cell phone, tablet, laptop, two-way messaging device, or electronic game. "Personal electronic device" does not include two-way radio, citizens band radio, or amateur radio equipment.

2. fishslave

fishslave Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

It won't stop texting and talking on the cell while driving. This is Washington, where it's always somebody else who can't manage to do both...

I don't do it. EVER. That doesn't mean I think another law will fix anything.

3. jimh

jimh Well-Known Member

The problem is that people like a guy at work think like this ... it might not help, but it's good to have the law just in case. ;) I'm not lying. That was his justification. In other words, he's for any new law.

4. fishslave

Top Poster Of Month

The libertarian in me says his focus is narrow and critical thinking isn't his forte.

5. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Well-Known Member

Self driving cars are less than 10 years away.

I say bring it.

6. Pipe Dream

Pipe Dream Active Member

Are you suggesting that "self-driving cars" will allow drivers to legally use those devices?

What I have read indicates that drivers will have to be in the driver's seat monitoring and being ready to take over. Can't do that when texting, playing video games or surfing the web while behind the wheel.

7. WidgeonmanGH

You bet they will. Not the first generation and probably not while there are distracted humans who refuse to get with the program, but eventually by the second or third generation humans will not be required to drive cars.

Driving is the most boring activity I can think of. In addition, there are so many idiots on the road, I can not wait for self driving cars, where I can tell my car my destination and enjoy a good book, or take a nice nap.

Kids being born today will probably never learn to drive unless it is recreational.

8. Pipe Dream

Pipe Dream Active Member

Hmmm, I remember the Jetsons......

But seriously, I can buy into the concept on high traffic flow urban/suburban commuter routes although sixteen years seems to be an unrealistically short time period. Frankly, lots of young people are not learning to drive right now due to costs and viable transportation alternatives in the cities. In fact, mass transportation may make driverless cars an invention without a place to be implemented.

Oh, and I like to drive especially outside the high density areas. Somehow I have a problem with the idea that my vehicle will be able to work its way along a narrow forest road all by itself. Or maybe it is being a B+ personality.

9. WidgeonmanGH

Mass transit works in a few areas but it is mostly a feel good boondoggle. Unless you are in an urban area it is not practical and economically it makes very little sense. All to often we think that centralizing something makes it more efficient, but what is curious is that the world around us disagrees.

For instance you do not have just one cell for each organ in your body, a liver cell a lung cell. We have millions with the same goal. Ants, millions of units one goal. We have a central electricity grid which is vulnerable to all sorts of things, but think how invulnerable we would be if every house produced its own energy and a little extra to contribute to the grid.

A transportation system with lots of units working independently but still automated will be incredibly functional as well as efficient. Owning your own car might become a thing of the past in urban areas because you can just order one up, but it will take a while to get to that spot. There will be circumstances that still will require human interaction with the vehicle and offroading will be one of them. But that is indeed recreational. I know that sensors can see through the fog, through the darkness, detect ice, even animals on the side of the road way better than my sensors can. They can stop faster than I can. They can park better than I can. Cars can talk to each other to know when they are going to turn etc. Accidents will go from being a report on every commute to news because of their rarity.

At one time people had these conversations about the horse vs the car. In my estimation we are at one of those moments in history, except it will switch a lot faster.

I say bring it on!

10. Easy Limits

Easy Limits Moderator Staff Member

I have a fairly long commute to work (42 miles each way) and I would say most folks are pretty good about not using their devices except for when traffic slows/stops. On Saturdays and Sundays though it is a different story. Cell phone use while driving is the norm, by all occupants.

11. wolfkill220

wolfkill220 Well-Known Member

here is a simple fix PUNISH THOSE THAT CAUSE THE PROBLEMS AND LEAVE THE REST OF US ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
  12. WidgeonmanGH

In the future transportation will move from an ownership to a service model.

Love this quote from a Stanford professor.

and

Read more: Petrol cars will vanish in 8 years, says US report from Stanford economist
    Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

13. fishslave

Top Poster Of Month

Just wishful thinking. We have a space problem. Single occupancy vehicles take up too much room and in places where most people want to travel, there isn't room to expand. If you remove buses, vanpools and carpools and put all those people in self drive EV's, the problem gets even worse.

Can you imagine all those cars getting hacked during rush hour??

While nasty emissions will be gone, many regions don't have the resources to power all those EV's. Even here, we'd push the limits of hydropower. The range of an EV is still a problem in rural areas too.

The transportation model that we had in the early part of the 1900's should never have changed. Street cars/trolleys in the city and trains in rural areas. Oh, and walking. A lot of people walked. Cars were a novelty of the well to do and then affordable cars and diesel semi's came along, we were doomed. Some idiot decided a couple of railroad workers could be replaced by a hundred truck drivers and we'd have more jobs.

Self driving EV buses for freeways and removing privately owned vehicles inside urban areas is actually the next logical step. Book it.

14. fishslave

Top Poster Of Month

18556411_1090061124461257_2702212269589177768_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Codfather

Codfather Active Member

I wonder what that generator is running on.....