Desliming a salmon?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by Chengpu, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Chengpu

Chengpu New Member

Whenever i get fish one thing i notice is the things slime forever even after i clean, fillet, and wash them real good. Ive poked around i not seen to much info. Seen some people suggest using white wine vinegar to remove slime or to scale them to prevent slime. Im guessing that slime is generated by the scales.

So whats the best method to care for the fish to keep free from SLIME! sick:

2. volynsky

volynsky Active Member

vinegar

3. Chengpu

Chengpu New Member

In what concentration? How long do you apply? What does it do?

4. elknfish

elknfish New Member

Just take your knife before you live the river and de-scale your fish....

Get ALL of the loose scales off and you will be ok....Don't do it at home in your kitchen sink or you will have scales all over your counter do it at the river/ocean before you leave...Vinegar has never worked for me not saying it doesnt work but I must be doing something wrong the 50 times i tried it...Good luck

5. trackster13

trackster13 New Member

fish from the river are going to have that slime, there's no way around it. It's better to keep the scales/slime anyway from cooking at least IMO. fish still taste great and the skin comes off easy after you cook it. Is there a specific way you're cooking it that you don't want the scales?

6. Slammin8er

Slammin8er Member

7. tonymiller7

tonymiller7 Member

Screw a bunch of bottle caps to a chunk of 2x4 to use as a descaler. That will take care of your slime problem.

8. Gringo

Gringo Member

I always scale my fish, gets rid of the slime, cooks up better, and depending on how you cook it, I think the fish tastes better.
    I bought one of those Magic Fish scalers from Cabelas for $10 and it really works great.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Magi...orm&N=0&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=scaler&Ntt=scaler
    Like someone else said though, unless you are brave or single, don't do it in the kitchen, I just throw on my waders and do it out on the lawn befor taking the fish in the house to fillet it. You can always tell when I've had a good outing by the sparkle of my lawn Tup:

9. BGR1

BGR1 Member

Blast it off with the garden hose :cool:

10. Ken M

Ken M Active Member

You could skin them to.Are any of the above Tup:

11. River_Phisher

River_Phisher Active Member

+2, or a sharp fillet knife and just keep going til' there isn't slime

12. KingFever

KingFever New Member

My great uncle uses a pressure washer in the front yard just for about 5 seconds on each side. Takes everything off, and does not do anything to the meat on the inside.

13. volynsky

volynsky Active Member

vinegar breaks down the slime. It'll look like nasty curdled milk when you start scraping it off.

The internet/google has some suggestions for concentration. Leave on a few minutes before scraping off the slime.

14. fishnmgcn

fishnmgcn Member

Try salt. It does a good job of removing the slime if you get it on your shirt. Might work directly on the fish.

15. NovaTron5000

NovaTron5000 New Member

can't be done

16. Slammin8er

Slammin8er Member

Save that slime :roll:

If you have chapped lips smear some slime on em. Won't do anything for your lips but it'l sure stop ya from licken um.

17. sleddddder

sleddddder New Member

Scrub brush & garden hose

18. oldwolf

oldwolf Member

+3...you two must fish at Olsen's? Anyway, at the cleaning tables at Olsen's, they have these 4"x4"x2" blocks with 9 bottlecaps screwed to the bottom...when you scrub the salmon with those things, it peels scales, slime and sea lice like there's no tomorrow. Of course the edge of a knife works well too :mrgreen:

19. Cheez

Cheez Active Member

If they are salt fish, I use the the garden hose like someone mentioned. If the scales are tougher, I would not use use my sharp fillet knife. Get an old serrated steak knife and have at it.

20. tonymiller7

tonymiller7 Member

NEVER!! HAHA! I'm usually a Van Riper's guy. Plus half the fun is drinking the beer to get the bottle caps to make your own. wink:

Search tags for this page

clean slime off fish

how to deslime salmon

how to slime a salmon

how to take slime out of salmon

removing slime from salmon