Chum candy

Discussion in 'The Outdoor Chef! Great outdoor cooking' started by chumfoo, Dec 3, 2016.

1. chumfoo

chumfoo Active Member

image.jpeg Mental here go a recipy candy chum..brown sugar maple syrup and kosher salt. 2 days let brine then pat dry . make sure air dry 12 hrs or more. smoke with alder wood .. thank me later

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nisqually Pro

Nisqually Pro Active Member

Sounds good. I might try it out

3. Metal_

Metal_ Well-Known Member

The Salmon Candy brine I use is a bag of dark brown sugar, 1 cup non iodized salt, 20 garlic cloves and a small diced walla walla. I air dry for 12-24hrs also. I do start with alder but finish with cherry or apple.

I've tried your recipe in the past. It's not bad.

4. chumfoo

chumfoo Active Member

yes i add garlick sometimes that also makes it good and i have to agree with the apple and cherry wood

5. Metal_

Metal_ Well-Known Member

I found out that this brine is actually illegal if you were to use it to smoke your fish and before sale. There is some type of state salinity law that prohibits that recipe from being used for sale. Not enough salt I suppose. No wonder all the stuff at the store tastes like bland salty slop.

6. Easy Limits

Easy Limits Moderator Staff Member

Moved to The Outdoor Chef.

7. Nisqually Pro

Nisqually Pro Active Member

Chumfoo, can u tell me how much of the ingredients you use. That looks really good

8. wolfkill220

wolfkill220 Well-Known Member

damn that looks good .Metal I agree the commercial smoked fish taste to damn salty and dont taste nowhere as good as home smoked fish.