cabezon and lingcod

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by redfish85, Jan 26, 2008.

1. redfish85

redfish85 New Member

Hey everyone just wondering if anyone here has ever caught a cabezon... cause I'm lookin for advise on how to do this... also some tips on catching lingcod as well.
  2. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Member

I have caught plenty of cabbies... some close to 20lbs. Ive gotten all the ones ive caught out at neah bay.... you can use the same thing you use for lings. Jigs, Lead Candle Fish, Copper Pipes, or Whole Herring. My advise would be to target rocky underwater stuctures anywhere from 40-200 feet depth.
  3. rogue fanatic

rogue fanatic New Member

I've caught a few big cabies (>15#) here in the Sound. In particular, around Useless Bay and Foulweather Bluff but always while fishing for something else. As mentioned earlier, they are found at a variety of depths though I seem to hook mine in the Sound in less than 80" of water while targeting rock fish and lings. A purple Mister Twister on a 3/4 oz. jighead has worked wonders for me.

Can't advise you on lings since I never seem to get any that are legal sized. Good luck.
  4. gator_79

gator_79 New Member

I, like most others have don't really target cabezon but I have caught a few while jigging for lings. For lings a Big 6" Scampi Tail in either white, glow, or rootbeer on a jig head works good, use whatever size jighead you need to get to the bottom. I always carry 2-20oz. You can also use Herring. What area are you fishing? I have only fished the San Juans for lings.
  5. BremertonSquid

BremertonSquid New Member

I've caught cabazon in teh sound. The last one I cought weighted just over 16lbs after it was cleaned. The head and backbone are what I weighed. I caught it at PNP while salmon fishing. It hit the lure about five feet from my feet. Why you should always finish your retrieve :) I've also caught them while bottom fishing for sole/rock fish. There were rocks, sharp drop offs and sand flats all in the area. This gut was also over 20lbs! Makes for the best fish-n-chips. Also makes a great fish chowda :mrgreen:

Good luck!
  6. Robert

Robert Member

from a pier never caught a cabezon but i've caught a couple lings with a 6" plastic swim baits. im pretty sure if swam across a cabezons face it'll bite it.
  7. timboy2

timboy2 New Member

We caught two one afternoon trying for lings at double bluff. One was 12lb and the other was 15lb. I was using a 6" point wilson dart with the blue back in about 60 feet of water.
  8. gone fishin

gone fishin New Member

Mean fish!! They'll bend a 2x4!!! Tup:
  9. Clockwork

Clockwork Active Member

i've caught a few all on dart type jigs. they arent extremely plentiful and they arent as easy to catch as others becasue they dont feed on baitfish as much as they do crustaceans. It seems odd to me because almost every other post claimsto have caught record sized cabezon. they are more closely tied to kelp beds.
  10. scalecarp

scalecarp Active Member

I've caught cabezon consistently with gunnels Tup: Dock shrimp and small crabs are close seconds...
  11. gator_79

gator_79 New Member

Just thought I'd share a pic of the 20+ LB Cabby I caught 2 years ago in the San Juans, I also got a nice ling that day.

Attached Files:

12. fishaman

fishaman New Member

I caught that one last May at Foulweather bluff on swimbait... Look at those blue eyes...

Attached Files:

13. timboy2

timboy2 New Member

Yeah One other thing about Cabbies. Be careful when you go to bonk them. I think they have a steel plate in their heads. The first time I hit one with the wood bonker, it came back and almost got me in the forehead, and it didn't seem to faze the fish. Now I just cut the gills and bleed them out.
  14. redfish85

redfish85 New Member

very cool everyone.. how do you think those gulp peeler crabs would work on cabbies? since from what I've been readin about them they mostly feed on critters like that... also very nice pics guys awsome lookin fish, just hope I can catch one like that so I'm not so green with envy :p
  15. Chum Bucket

Chum Bucket New Member

Small crabs are what Cabbies prefer. I've cleaned dozens of cabbies (brutal on the fillet knife tho') with stomachs stuffed full of small crabs. I like eating Cabezon better than Lings or Halibut, just seem to have more flavor. No need to target them, if they're down there, they'll bite.
  16. BremertonSquid

BremertonSquid New Member

I could not believe Clockworks comment regarding the size of the cabazon being recorded as record size. The record cabazon is only 23lbs. I believe I have topped that atleast two times and have seen a few others that would be in that range. Maybe I've been really lucky but I do not think people are reporting teh "record" fish. Hopefully next year my name will be added to the list. I can no longer say where I'm catching those fine fleshed fish!
  17. Cornfed

Cornfed New Member

Duncan Rock out at Neah is cab. city. I would rather eat halibut, lingcod, or rockfish, then eat a cab. Cabs. are way tougher than the other bottom dwellers and they are a pain in the butt to clean. This is my own opinion. Maybe I just haven't had them the right way. If you want to see one up close and you are diver, hit up Edmonds Underwater Park. I have been attacked by males guarding their egg clutches. Then can swallow big bait too. I have had them hitch a ride on small rockfish just like the lings do. Hardest head out of any fish I know of!
  18. Dr Hook

Dr Hook Administrator

Here's one of my Neah Bay Cabbys. Great fighters and under rated table fare.

Attached Files:

19. Robert

Robert Member

here's a cab from last season.

[​IMG]

i've eaten staghorn sculpin, buffalo sculpin, and red-rish lord and taste wise none them compare to cabezon. which is kinda weird cause they are all in the same sculpin family, i guess its the diet.
  20. Cornfed

Cornfed New Member

I caught one at Neah last summer that had a Puget Sound King Crab in his stomach. That was pretty cool. They are always full of crabs at Neah. Here is a pic. of a couple frogs we caught last summer...

[​IMG]