cabelas brand reels

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by Anonymous, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i was looking at some cabelas reel and was wondering if they're any good also who makes them thanks.

Attached Files:

2. river walker

river walker Member

Not sure about that one, but i do know that daiwa makes most of cabelas reels.
  3. deathpunch

deathpunch Member

had good success with the previous tourney zx. couldnt beat the price($39.99). just picked up a second one. look forward to picking up the new model when it goes on sale. Tup:
  4. CBP1888

CBP1888 Member

I own three Cabelas downrigger reels and they all work good. The reels I own are made by Shimano with cabelas name slapped on them. Cabelas outsources there reel manufacturing to other companies. The best thing to do is find out who
    Manufactured the reel your lOoking at. The owners manual will usually have the manufacturer listed.
  5. cuttstosteelies

cuttstosteelies Member

I had terrible luck with the tourney zx. I would stay away. Cabelas's higher end reels though are made by Daiwa. For the money, you CANNOT beat a Prodigy as it is simply the Daiwa Tierra with a Cabelas label. I've got two. I've also got two Daiwa Tierras. Kick shimano's butt out of the water as far as durability is concerned. The tourney zx is a cheap reel that may be good for smaller fish but one king on it last year was enough as the drag got burnt immediately.....
  6. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Member

Have had good luck with the Cabelas Prodigy Baitcaster made by Diawa .. no issues smooth casting smooth drag.

The Prodigy Spin Reel(by diawa) worked good for a couple years then the anti-reverse quit working. So I promptly returned it in exchange for 2 cabelas Tournament ZX spinning reels (by diawa) which I have had good success with so far.
  7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

cutts are you talikin about the exact reel in the pic or did you have the older model zx ? i hope its not the one cuz i just ordered it last night $79 and 3 pairs of wool socks on clearance $9 cuz it was free .1$ shipping if you ordered a clothing item with a reel .
  8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

so tournament zx is made by daiwa Tup: not only that cabela let you exchaige it after 2 years of abuse im impressed with da warrenty Tup: i didnt want to spend a fortune on a reel cuz you know puyallup mud water ruins any good reel. i should be getting the new zx in next week,gonna field test it on some steel the reason i got it cuz it has 9 bearings and only weighs 6oz..ill let you guys know how it works out thanks Tup:
  9. FastAction

FastAction Member

Do they Make that Prodigy any more? I have one that I bought used and I love it. I want about 4 more!

I really like the Cabela's Prodigy and Recommend it!
  10. cuttstosteelies

cuttstosteelies Member

NO.... The Tournament zx is NOT made by Daiwa. The Prodigy IS.....
    I had the old model. Can't speak for the new one.
  11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

got it Tup:
  12. SMALLHOOKSBIGFISH

SMALLHOOKSBIGFISH Member

ODH I highly recommend you using a Zebco Spin Cast. This is more to your skill set. Better yet, my 3 yr old daughter has a pink barbie rod/reel she has grown out of, you can have it. Heck, I'll even give it to you for free. Save you some money at Cabela's.
  13. CBP1888

CBP1888 Member

I have a Cabelas Prodidgy Reel and Cabelas 8'6" Xmlti steelhead rod I will sell for $100 dollars for both. I purchased them for 230 dollars. I did about three casts with it and decided I like spinning gear better. I also have the receipt, box and the rod has a lifetime warranty. If anyone is interested let me know.