1. River_Phisher

River_Phisher Active Member

So I was talking to a guide that used "Bait Weights." He described them as a colored weight that you put on your leader when fishing bait under a bobber to get your bait down to the fish as quick as possible. I searched on google, yahoo, and even Ask.com to try and find these. But, had no luck.

If anybody could help me in this predicament on finding this product. He said sportsmens has them usually all the time, but I have yet to get over to one as I live an hour from each one (Federal Way, Lacey locations.)

Also, if you guys do, or have used this product. Are they worth buying? What is your opinion? They sound like they would be a good item to put in the box as it does seem when I fish eggs under a float, they do not get down fast enough. (In my opinion)

Thank you, And tightlines,
    Spencer
  2. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Member

I have tried them several times without luck, however on the same ticket I have used a couple splitshot about 4" above the baitloop and had fish after fish. Fishing the same areas and conditions.
    I have also modified my baitloop by using a single easy egg instead of yarn. Just pull your tag end back thru the eye, impale the egg all the way past the eye and run the tag end back thru.
    Must give a more natural presentation, who knows, but it works for me. Here is the proof.

Attached Files:

3. Roger66

Roger66 Member

Sportco has them in several colors, sizes. They look like beads or corkies, but they are weights. As was said above, they get bait down faster when float fishing. I think any heavy duty tackle shop should have them in stock.
  4. STSGreen

STSGreen Active Member

Sportco has them in the same aisle as the corkies and glo bug yarn . ive never used them, but from what i remember they have an assortment of colors and sizes
  5. flint

flint New Member

OR you could just make your own. Put a bunch of egg sinkers on a piece of line and paint them. I made lime green ones for chum ( no more crying about losing jigs!) and watermelon ones for fishing pink worms under a float for steelhead.
  6. Stonefish

Stonefish Active Member

Beau Mac makes lead bait cheaters. OE and Sportco both have them. Dedfish used to make round ones as well, but I'm not sure they are being produced any longer.
    Like Flint said, super easy to make your own as well.
  7. wannafish

wannafish Active Member

Paint some egg sinkers and you have similar product.
  8. River_Phisher

What do you paint them with?
  9. stlhdr42

stlhdr42 Active Member

Some sort of powder coat paint they sell at fishin stores specifically for stuff like this. In a pinch I have painted jig heads and what not with finger nail polish.
  10. mitch184

mitch184 Active Member

Bait weights works great in faster, deeper water or pocket water. I think they lose their benefit in slower salmon holes
  11. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Member

I have heard that Ded Fish Bait Weights are no longer available also. Here are some bait weight options:

Beau Mac Cheater Bait Weights
    Brass Beads (in Nickle, Brass, Black Nickle finishes and painted (Vinyl or Powder Paint them)
    Danielson Co. Slinky Shot with a hole, available in 1/4", 5/16", non-painted, painted (Vinyl or Powder Paint them) (Wholesale Sports)
    Egg Weights, non-painted, painted (Vinyl or Powder Paint them)
    Spit Shot, non-painted, painted (Vinyl or Powder Paint them)
    Slinky Shot, drill a 1/16" hole in them, non-painted, painted (Vinyl or Powder Paint them)

I also use Dick Nite's UV Clear Coat (Fisherman's Lure-Coat) over the Brass Beads chrome finishes and after painting the bait weights.

I use bait weights a lot, almost always now, when I'm using bait or plastic worms for float fishing. A very effective float rigging to keep the bait or plastic worm down in the zone. Peg the bait weight when used above a threaded plastic worm, to keep the scrunching of the plastic worm to a minimum. I like using a folded piece of rubber band, pulled into the hole using a piece of folded mono., for a threader. Toothpick or weed wacker line of the right size, works well for pegging also. I'll use the smallest bait weight needed for the water being fished and sometimes additional weight above the barrel swivel if needed.
  12. YamahaF934

YamahaF934 New Member

Fingernail Polish.

You get weird looks buying pink fingernail polish but hey. . . it works. Tup:
  13. swiftwaters

swiftwaters New Member

Here are some fish That I caught using beau mac bait weights under a bobber with eggs, I like chartreuse or white for a contrast effect with the eggs. I have caught many more using them but these you can see them in their mouths. I really like them but a spilt shot 4-8 inches above the hook works just as well. I have also found that pegging the bait weights helps alot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. River_Phisher

Hey Swift, so how many jigs do I get when you win the Yakima bait contest? wink:

Nice fish BTW! Tup:
  15. GURU

GURU New Member

Be careful though, and read the regs. I sent WDFW an email asking about using the weights, because I like to use them, with the rule of no weights within 12" of the hook, they told me that I could not use them for salmon fishing, but for steel head was fine, it falls under the anti-snagging/non buoyant lure rule.
  16. volynsky

volynsky Active Member

sounds like the wrong answer from WDFW with regards to salmon versus steelhead

The anti snagging rule makes no distinction between salmon and steelhead.

The thing to keep in mind is that the antisnagging rule goes out of effect on most (but not all) rivers at the end of November, which is when winter steelhead are starting to run. So, the bait weights would clearly be legal at that point in time.

But during most of the summer and fall, when the antisnagging rule is in effect and when the salmon are running, use the bait weights at your own risk...