Any comments on Wilderness 9' Pontoon (Costco)?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by MPM, Feb 27, 2011.

1. MPM

MPM Member

I'm looking at the Classic Accessories Wilderness 9' Pontoon Boat available at Costco for around $300. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it or heard any reviews. I've read some reviews online of other Classic Accessories pontoons, but this seems to be a Costco-only model, so I'm not sure if those are really applicable.

For the money, it seems like it's probably worth a shot, especially since Costco has a good return/replacement policy if something goes wrong.

Of course, my biggest worry would be a compete failure on the water, but I probably wouldn't use it for any big/difficult rivers, unless maybe if it impresses on lakes/small rivers first.

Any comments appreciated.

2. wolverine

wolverine Active Member

I've looked at it as a spare boat for guests. It looks to be a decent light duty toon. I would probably only use it in lakes or slow moving rivers as its only rated for class 1 water. If you plan on using a toon in class 2 or above steelhead waters then you'd be better off spending twice the money for a higher rated toon or pick up a good used toon than can safely handle more water.

3. Frog

Frog New Member

I looked at them when I was looking for a 'toon but decided to spend a bit more for a lightly used but higher quality boat off craig's list.

What is the weight capacity? Are you going to use it for anything other than lakes? And how big of a lake?
    Can you mount a trolling motor?
    How high off the water do you sit?
    etc.,etc. ?

4. MPM

MPM Member

It's rated for 400 lbs I think, has a spot for gear and a motor mount. I'd like to use it for a river like the Wallace in addition to lakes.

Maybe I'll poke around on Craigslist and see if there's something better used for not much more money.

5. Mr56Jeep

Mr56Jeep Active Member

I have a fishin' buddy that has one. He likes it alot... but has had to have it welded up twice.

6. MPM

MPM Member

What's the story there? Frame coming apart from normal use or was there some sort of extraordinary stress?

7. Mr56Jeep

Mr56Jeep Active Member

Probably just cheaply made. We welded it and painted the heck out of it. It broke on a weld.

8. MPM

MPM Member

Hmm...as a huge cheapskate I'm having a hard time passing up a $300 pontoon. On the other hand, I dont' expect it to be the highest quality. At least Costco's got a 2 year warranty on the thing. I figure if I can get two good years of use out of it, that's probably worth the price tag.

Hmm....

9. Mr56Jeep

Mr56Jeep Active Member

As long as you keep in mind that its a $300 toon and not a $1,000 your probably fine. I have a 8' bucks bag and a 10' Outcast. Functionaly they all seem to be about equal. Only problems were with the Costco boat but is never left him stranded. He isn't unhappy about it. I just like the piece of mind on the water more than he does. wink:

10. fishinJedi

fishinJedi Active Member

I value my life a little more than $300...but cruising around on a lake might be safe enough.
    I say this only cuz the OP Rivers have been gobbling up boats, driftboats at that, little too dangerous for a $300 'toon, but sounds like you don't plan anything like that.

My two cents of course...I just don't like seeing people get hurt or lose their life over a fish.
    I'm sure you will make the right decisions tho.

11. MPM

MPM Member

Well I'll definitely wear a PFD no matter what I do, and I'm not planning on floating the Sol Duc in a $300 pontoon!

12. TedR

TedR Member

Good call. ;)

I bought a small pontoon on Craigslist and have been fairly happy. I wish I bought something better but it gets me around easy water like the Cowlitz, Satsop and Hump. I don't know the Wallace but if you think there is a chance you'll be in anything more than easy water spend more and get a better boat.

13. sleddddder

sleddddder New Member

Spend the money on a used higher quality toon. If the boat fails you can get in just as much trouble on the Wallace as on an OP river.

14. DOWN

DOWN Member

Like said above My life is worth more than 300$. I spent over $1500 on my toon and I still sometimes think I shoulda spent more. Tup: Also if your going to take it in a river look for a 9'-10' boat 8' is for lakes

Search tags for this page

classic accessories wilderness 14 pontoon boat

classic accessories wilderness 14 pontoon boat review
costco pontoon boat
wilderness 14 pontoon boat
wilderness 14 pontoon boat review