Login to not see the above advertisement. Joining the community is easy.

Anything better than a Uniknot?

Proudly Sponsored By:
ImageImageImage

Anything better than a Uniknot?

Postby talsteen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:59 pm

For years, I had been using the cinch knot and the improved cinch knot with good results. This year alone, I've had 4 knots fail. sick: I hate when a knot fails!! I've started using the Uniknot, (also known as the Duncan knot and the Grinner knot), and really think this might be one of the best knots out there. Not only does it hold well, I can tie it without having to put on my glasses and try to put that little tiny line end thru the even tinier space right above the hook.

Anyone using a knot they think is better than a Uniknot for attaching terminal gear?? If so, please share what it is and how to tie it.

Tomas
talsteen

Re: Anything better than a Uniknot?

Postby red hot » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:22 pm

One word - Palomar.
NW Fishing Guides - Jim & Jennifer Stahl
red hot

Postby mr.Goodbar » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:38 pm

I have one I use and have even had a barrel swivel break, but the knot stayed tied. I used o use the cinch knot you know, twist about seven to nine times and then back thru the loop and cinch together, but kept losing gear because knot would untie. Unfortunately, when I was trying to type out the instructions of how to do it (since I can't remember the name of the knot or the website I found that had it with pictures) it didn't translate and I don't believe anyone would have understood the directions. I will have to either try to find the website that does it justice or take a video or pictures and post.
Will your P.M. snack be salty or sweet? With MR. GOODBAR's combination of crunchy peanuts and chocolate candy, you don't have to decide.
mr.Goodbar

Postby Gotem_Large » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:44 pm

red hot wrote:One word - Palomar.

Hands down brother!
Fishing season is 12 months long
Gotem_Large

Postby Tackle Man » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:30 am

Rivers inlet knot almost as strong as the palamar and you can use it on both ends of your swivel without passing your leader threw the loop
Sorry I got G A S "Gear Addiction Syndrome
Tackle Man

Postby ROCK FISH » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:45 am

Just a FYI try this site for learning various knots.

http://www.marinews.com/fishing_line/fi ... ackle.html
South King County PSA
ROCK FISH

Contributing Member: Yes 2006

Postby RETTRO » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:46 am

Rivers inlet knot almost as strong as the palamar and you can use it on both ends of your swivel without passing your leader threw the loop

Ditto, all though I use the palomar on one end because it's a fudge quicker...and easier in cold weather.
RETTRO

Postby Gray Ghost » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:06 am

Fish-N-Fool knot (Double Uni knot), winner of Knot Wars 2009. It's easy to tie and one of the toughest knots there is.

http://www.nafc.com/video/articletype/a ... -v-palomar
http://www.steelheadstalkers.com/knot_fish-n-fool.htm
Gray Ghost

Postby winterun » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:16 am

San Diego Jam Knot

Trilene Knot/ same as a doubled improved clinch/ also known as the Rivers Inlet Knot

my .02

Winterun
"There are two kinds of people in our business: those eager to display their knowledge and those eager to share it."
"Lefty Kreh"
winterun

Postby Kaikane » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:20 am

+1 palomar!!

but you are going to use the Uni i would do a couple of extra turns so it does not fail. I usually do about 9-10 instead of the 6-7.
Kaikane

Postby thaxor » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:19 am

Palomar for Braid

Trilene knot for everything else (except w/ 5-6 wraps)
http://www.animatedknots.com/trilene/index.php
thaxor

Contributing Member: Yes 2009

Postby jajfish » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:36 am

Double Palomar is bomb proof for braid. Just like a regular Polmar except you go through the half hitch twice before dropping the loop over the hook.

On the cinch knot, make sure you go through the hook eye twice, make at least 7 wraps, go back through both loops on the hook eye and then back through the loop formed between the mainline and end you passed through the loops on the hook. Put some spit on it and cinch it up slowly to reduce heat build up. I saw a demo from a Ande line guy at a sport show who had a gauge that showed the breaking strength. On 20 lb test, the cinch knot without lubrication broke at 12 lbs, with lubrication and cinched up slowly broke at 18 lbs. Also check the eyes on your hooks for defects. I had a batch of Gamis once that had an angle cut on the end of the wire loop forming the eye. After I tie my hooks I always secure the hook on my bench and give it one good steady pull to make sure the knot is cinched down and on those hook the line broke every time. I tied another and checked it under my magnifying lens and the angled wire end was a perfect little knife cutting the line under tension.

Cheers, JJ
jajfish

Postby GreatNWRiversGS » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:48 pm

I have always tied a clinch for my regular connections, if you A- have good line B- tie a good knot C- have your drag right you should never have a knot failure..... the palomar is the only way to go for braid for me....
Now booking Summer Kings/ Steelhead, Oversize Sturgeon and Fall salmon 360*823*3525 http://www.GreatNWRivers.com
Simon, Owner, Pro Cure Pro Staff.
GreatNWRiversGS
Advertising Guide
Advertising Guide

Postby RiverFishin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:51 pm

I switched to the Uni years agao, and it's my favorite Tup:
Success demands singleness of purpose. Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.
RiverFishin

Contributing Member: Yes 2008

Postby River_Phisher » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:20 am

+1 This year on the puy i snagged up by my hook and it took me 5 minutes to get it off and it was cause my swivel straightened. Go with palomars
I need a name change. I am now a River_Phisher.

"Try to make somebody HAPPY every day".
- Sir John
River_Phisher

Postby fishinfoolz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:29 pm

One knot won't work for every application. If you want a loose knot at the lure or hook you'll want to tie a Surgeon's End Loop knot. If you're looking for a tight easy knot the clinch or improved clinch works well, it's easy to tie. For braid, as mentioned already- the Palomar, I use the Double Palomar. When I'm fly fishing I use the Nail Knot, the Surgeons Knot, the improved Clinch and the single Palomar. You'll also have times where you'll need to tie two different knots on the same rig as when fly fishing or using braid to mono, terminal gear to leaders to braid etc.

The best thing you can do for your future fishing prowess is learn how to tie a variety of knots and when to use them. Tup: Another tip about knots and knot strength is to set your drag properly and properly fight the fish. Tup:
Gene Quinney
Owner/Managing Broker
Northwest Equity Home Sales
253-539-SOLD (7653)
http://www.nwequityhomesales.com
No Gimmicks, Just Results! IS a registered trademark
Connect with me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/gene.quinney
fishinfoolz

Postby Johnnypillz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:47 pm

bassandall wrote:

+1 This year on the puy i snagged up by my hook and it took me 5 minutes to get it off and it was cause my swivel straightened. Go with palomars

+1
\„/ (><) \„/

"Of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy."
Johnnypillz

Contributing Member: Yes 2010

Postby mr.Goodbar » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Ok, couldnt find the site I learned this knot from, so made a video to explain. Maybe someone knows the name of this knot. I am not very good with making videos and don't have a tripod, so keep that in mind. I used an all purpose nylon rope to demonstrate, and was going to make a second one with the fishing line to see if it helped a bit, but think you will get the idea. If anyone has questions let me know.

Basically, I use this knot for tying my mainline to a swivel, or my leader to same swivel. I will also use this if tying mainline directly to terminal tackle like a spoon or wiggle wart since those tend to be more expensive than a normal hook/corkie and don't want to lose these. I do not use this knot to tie my hooks to leader, as I use a snell type knot or bait loop. I have found this knot to be extremely strong and have never had one fail since beginning to use it. I have even had a really nasty snag and thought my line broke, but it was my barrel swivel that broke and my line including knot was still tied to the broken swivel!

Wrap the line about 3-5 times around doubled over mainline. 3 times is plenty for 25lb mono, 5 times for 8lb test. I use 4 for my 15lb main and same for 10lb leaders. I cinch this knot down and pull on the loop tag and the tag end that sits by the mainline with the mainline together, pulling on these at same time. If knot doesn't look quite right, I will pull just the tag end, then just the mainline until it sits proper. DON'T cut your tag ends too short or knot could fail. I leave up to a 1/4" tag both on the looped tag and the single tag (mabye just 1/8" if using my normal 15lb mainline, but longer for stronger test line.) It doesn't affect the action or performance of the line/lure, so leave a little to make sure it can't come undone.
Will your P.M. snack be salty or sweet? With MR. GOODBAR's combination of crunchy peanuts and chocolate candy, you don't have to decide.
mr.Goodbar

Postby ClearCreek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:32 pm

mr.Goodbar wrote:Ok, couldnt find the site I learned this knot from, so made a video to explain. Maybe someone knows the name of this knot. I am not very good with making videos and don't have a tripod, so keep that in mind. I used an all purpose nylon rope to demonstrate, and was going to make a second one with the fishing line to see if it helped a bit, but think you will get the idea. If anyone has questions let me know.

Basically, I use this knot for tying my mainline to a swivel, or my leader to same swivel. I will also use this if tying mainline directly to terminal tackle like a spoon or wiggle wart since those tend to be more expensive than a normal hook/corkie and don't want to lose these. I do not use this knot to tie my hooks to leader, as I use a snell type knot or bait loop. I have found this knot to be extremely strong and have never had one fail since beginning to use it. I have even had a really nasty snag and thought my line broke, but it was my barrel swivel that broke and my line including knot was still tied to the broken swivel!

Wrap the line about 3-5 times around doubled over mainline. 3 times is plenty for 25lb mono, 5 times for 8lb test. I use 4 for my 15lb main and same for 10lb leaders. I cinch this knot down and pull on the loop tag and the tag end that sits by the mainline with the mainline together, pulling on these at same time. If knot doesn't look quite right, I will pull just the tag end, then just the mainline until it sits proper. DON'T cut your tag ends too short or knot could fail. I leave up to a 1/4" tag both on the looped tag and the single tag (mabye just 1/8" if using my normal 15lb mainline, but longer for stronger test line.) It doesn't affect the action or performance of the line/lure, so leave a little to make sure it can't come undone.

The video timed out for me about half way through and then I got an error message. Wish it would have worked because I am always interested in new knots.

ClearCreek
ClearCreek

Postby KingFever » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:54 pm

i like the palomar knot

CLICK ON PICTURE FOR FULL VIEW SO YOU DONT NEED TO SCROLL DOWN
palomar.gif
Fishing to me is a forever experience......
KingFever

Postby BornToBeWild » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:19 pm

I use the Palomar and egg loop for every thing except bobber stops where I tie a nail knot.
I've never had a Palomar fail yet including when I've tested breaking strengths of different monofiliment lines on the line testing machine.
I've had both the improved cinch and the Trilene Knot fail on me, more than once even after taking precautions preventing line burn while tying.
BornToBeWild

Postby mr.Goodbar » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:49 am

ClearCreek wrote:
mr.Goodbar wrote:Ok, couldnt find the site I learned this knot from, so made a video to explain. Maybe someone knows the name of this knot. I am not very good with making videos and don't have a tripod, so keep that in mind. I used an all purpose nylon rope to demonstrate, and was going to make a second one with the fishing line to see if it helped a bit, but think you will get the idea. If anyone has questions let me know.

The video timed out for me about half way through and then I got an error message. Wish it would have worked because I am always interested in new knots.

ClearCreek

Here is the link - I don't know what the deal is, but it uploaded fine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nh8D2ewth4
mr.Goodbar

Postby mr.Goodbar » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:52 am

The palomar is an OK knot, but the problem I have, is if you tie your mainline to a swivel, then if you tie a leader on you have to pull everthing thru the loop, which is too tricky for me, plus I end up getting stuck a lot. The knot I posted eliminates the need to pull through the loop, but it looks like after looking at the pictures of the palomar and reviewing how I tie my knot, they are very similar, but maybe a few more twists of line in mine.
mr.Goodbar

Postby fishinfoolz » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:34 pm

Your knot is just a double version of a clinch knot. It may reduce the choking of the main line with being along side itself through the eyelet so I can see the benefit to that knot of yours. But it's not anything like like a Palomar or a double Palomar. wink:

http://www.netknots.com/html/palomar_knot.html
Gene Quinney
Owner/Managing Broker
Northwest Equity Home Sales
253-539-SOLD (7653)
http://www.nwequityhomesales.com
No Gimmicks, Just Results! IS a registered trademark
Connect with me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/gene.quinney
fishinfoolz

Return to Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on the net