Login to not see the above advertisement. Joining the community is easy.

Jig/Fly tying kit

Proudly Sponsored By:
ImageImageImage

Jig/Fly tying kit

Postby fishing bear » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:16 pm

I'm looking at starting to tie my own jigs. I have been playing around with it a little using a pair of vise-grips for a vise and I'm looking to upgrade. Has anyone bought a starter kit with a vise and tools that they are happy with or am I better off buying separate components? Also what is the best bang for your buck?
Thats why they call it fishing not catching.
fishing bear

Re: Jig/Fly tying kit

Postby Gotem_Large » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:20 pm

There is a Anglers Choice kit with everything you need in it for around $25.
Fishing season is 12 months long
Gotem_Large

Postby Adam » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:46 pm

I would by separately. Sportsmans has a decent vise black/brass colored one for 20. I recommend getting atleast two ceramic bobbins. Using fine thread idk how many times I've broke right at the very end.
Adam

Postby beachbum97 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:32 pm

I have a kit from cabelas for $30. It has everything you need to get you started.
I don't go fishing as much as I should.
beachbum97

Postby Stonefish » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:11 pm

The starter kits generally include pretty basic equipment. They will work ok, but if you find you really enjoy tying you'll be upgrading soon.
Buying quality tools separately and spending a bit more will make your tying more enjoyable.
Stonefish

Postby Bushwhacker » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:01 am

Start with a good tabletop vise, auburn sports has a good setup for around $50. The right scissors and Kevlar thread will make life much easier. As you progress upgrade your tools.
Once the problems facing the management of fish stocks are solved there will no longer be a need for fisheries managers.
Therefore the problem will never be solved.
Bushwhacker

Postby Gotem_Large » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:13 pm

Bushwhacker wrote:Start with a good tabletop vise, auburn sports has a good setup for around $50. The right scissors and Kevlar thread will make life much easier. As you progress upgrade your tools.

I have had the same vise for almost 8 years. Bought it when I first started working there.
Fishing season is 12 months long
Gotem_Large

Postby fishing bear » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I hate junk so I think I will start with a good vise and a few basic tools that Toni PMed me about and go from there.
Thats why they call it fishing not catching.
fishing bear

Postby Bushwhacker » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Not to hijack the thread,but does anybody know where to get glow materials? Thread, paint, floss, etc ?I got a few ideas I want to try.
Once the problems facing the management of fish stocks are solved there will no longer be a need for fisheries managers.
Bushwhacker

Postby killin-chrome » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:04 pm

Gotem_Large wrote:
Bushwhacker wrote:Start with a good tabletop vise, auburn sports has a good setup for around $50. The right scissors and Kevlar thread will make life much easier. As you progress upgrade your tools.

I have had the same vise for almost 8 years. Bought it when I first started working there.

Works great been using his kit for the ???years...little tip use clear UV nail polish rather then superglue or whatever it is you had in mind.
There is a reason why its called fishin not catchin!
killin-chrome

Postby Stonefish » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Bushwhacker wrote:Not to hijack the thread,but does anybody know where to get glow materials? Thread, paint, floss, etc ?I got a few ideas I want to try.

As far as paint, CS Coatings makes both glow powder coat and vinyl paints. They also make a UV Blast and UV seal coat.
If you can't find these locally at your favorite tackle Shop, you can order them online.

Several companies are now producing UV marabou and bucktails. UV flash material such as Krystal Flash are also now available. Your local fly shop can order those for you. Puget Sound Fly Co in Tacoma is the best south sound fly shop.

SF
Stonefish

Postby Auburnguy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Stonefish wrote:
Bushwhacker wrote:Not to hijack the thread,but does anybody know where to get glow materials? Thread, paint, floss, etc ?I got a few ideas I want to try.

As far as paint, CS Coatings makes both glow powder coat and vinyl paints. They also make a UV Blast and UV seal coat.
If you can't find these locally at your favorite tackle Shop, you can order them online.

Several companies are now producing UV marabou and bucktails. UV flash material such as Krystal Flash are also now available. Your local fly shop can order those for you. Puget Sound Fly Co in Tacoma is the best south sound fly shop.

SF

I love CS's vinyl paints. Very durable and easy to dip apply. Good stuff! Tup:

I'm not big on the powder coatings as it seems they chip fairly easily compared to vinyl when the jigs come in contact with any rocks.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson
"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Auburnguy

Postby Stonefish » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Auburnguy wrote:
Stonefish wrote:

SF

I love CS's vinyl paints. Very durable and easy to dip apply. Good stuff! Tup:

I'm not big on the powder coatings as it seems they chip fairly easily compared to vinyl when the jigs come in contact with any rocks.

I use vinyl as well. You'll lose the jig before it ever chips. Great stuff!
Stonefish

Postby FishStalker » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:05 am

I use the powder coat and bake it in the oven for 20 mins and it comes out extremely solid. Best lure/jig paint I have ever used.
FishStalker

Postby peyton00 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:14 am

I like the vinyl, it seems to dent up before it chips away.
peyton00

Postby Bushwhacker » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:20 am

I looked at several materials sites and as far as glow materials this guy had the most as far as colors and variety. Dougswisher.com.
Bushwhacker

Return to Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on the net