Login to not see the above advertisement. Joining the community is easy.

Any Humpy Hollow Reports

Proudly Sponsored By:
ImageImageImage

Any Humpy Hollow Reports

Postby A Child of Sekiu » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:12 am

My sister has not caught a Salmon in 50 years so I thought I would take her out on Monday. Have there been any reports from Humpy Hollow? Looking at the weather forecast it appears that on Monday there will be 2-3' waves and if fishing has not been good, I may not take her.
A Child of Sekiu

Re: Any Humpy Hollow Reports

Postby Big_Daddy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:17 am

12 dead in 45 minutes this morning.............

45' to 50' depth............troll slooooooooooow..........
Northwest Fishing Charters
http://www.nwfishingcharters.com-Seattle / Everett Fishing Guides and Charters
206-949-0221

Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer
Big_Daddy
Advertising Guide
Advertising Guide

Postby NovaTron5000 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:33 pm

14 caught by me, my dad, my little brother and his friend. all in about 4 hours between 7 and 11 a.m. saw a few others caught by other boats, by 9 out of 10 boats i saw were all trolling way too fast. Also use SHORT leaders. like 14" max. we were trolling pick hoochies, GO SLOW SLOW SLOW like 1mph and go with the tide
NovaTron5000

Postby Big_Daddy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:38 pm

I am running 28" to 32" leaders... :o

Remember.......the shorter the leader....the slower you have to troll........ Tup:

Also your hookup to landing ratio goes up substantially with the longer leader.

However, if what you are doing works for you, KEEP IT UP...... clap:
Northwest Fishing Charters
http://www.nwfishingcharters.com-Seattle / Everett Fishing Guides and Charters
206-949-0221

Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer
Big_Daddy
Advertising Guide
Advertising Guide

Postby Clockwork » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:07 pm

yeah i see alot of people trolling with the 350 doing 4+ kts with the DR cables at about a 70deg angle.

however, i too have had better success with the short leaders in the 18" range.
posted via stationary device
Clockwork

Postby wildgoose » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 am

Are you guys using dodgers or flashers? I was out friday using dodgers with 12 inch leaders goin super slow with the tide for two limits. Took us three hours was hard to stay on the schools, but when we did it was doubles on most hookups.
wildgoose

Postby Echo Mules » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:53 am

We managed 11 fish on Saturday with four people in the boat, crackered at least a dozen more. Sure is fun to take friends and family out for their bi-annual fishing trip for humpies. My sister had a blast, only fishes once every two years.

I was using both flashers and dogers, mini and full size white or pink squid, didn't seem to matter. Normally run a single hook for humpies, but switched to two hooks to help with the crackering, seemed to help. Stacked the dogers below the flashers to avoid tangles. Dodgers hang low, flashers ride high. I couldnt' get as slow as many we saw doing well, so I lengthened my leaders to maybe 24-30", seemed to work. Several times I wanted to go a little faster to gain on the current and picked up fish without having my sea anchor in to slow the boat, so who knows. I hate stacking my downriggers, but it's all or nothing with the humpy schools. Troll a long ways with nothing and When we hit a school, several times the riggers were free of all lines before I could get any one of them back in the water. Most came from just south of the shipwreck, couple were just north of it. One of our fish was a silver, no bigger than the humpies, fish checker said a big push of silvers hit the dock on Saturday.

Good Luck and Let us know how you do.
"Believe only half of what you hear and a lot less of what you read"
Echo Mules

Postby A Child of Sekiu » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:42 pm

I took my sister out today to Humpy Hollow and started fishing by 6AM Really rough and couldn't hold the boat steady against the wind without going real fast. Pulled the lines and went to the shipwreck and trolled back to Mukilteo. Started at 35' and kept dropping and finally got one for her at 90', fished untill 11:30 without another bite and did not see anyone else catch anythng. Even with the motor kicked out of gear the wind was blowing us at 1.5 to 2 mph. Guess the Humpys don't bite to well when it is windy and rough. Looking back to 2009 we went out twice when it was real rough and caught one for two days of fishing. I think that I have now learned my lesson--stay home when it is going to be rough.
A Child of Sekiu

Return to Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on the net