Login to not see the above advertisement. Joining the community is easy.

Bait weights?

Proudly Sponsored By:
ImageImageImage

Bait weights?

Postby River_Phisher » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:19 pm

So I was talking to a guide that used "Bait Weights." He described them as a colored weight that you put on your leader when fishing bait under a bobber to get your bait down to the fish as quick as possible. I searched on google, yahoo, and even Ask.com to try and find these. But, had no luck.

If anybody could help me in this predicament on finding this product. He said sportsmens has them usually all the time, but I have yet to get over to one as I live an hour from each one (Federal Way, Lacey locations.)

Also, if you guys do, or have used this product. Are they worth buying? What is your opinion? They sound like they would be a good item to put in the box as it does seem when I fish eggs under a float, they do not get down fast enough. (In my opinion)

Thank you, And tightlines,
Spencer
I need a name change. I am now a River_Phisher.

"Try to make somebody HAPPY every day".
- Sir John
River_Phisher

Re: Bait weights?

Postby Bushwhacker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:51 pm

I have tried them several times without luck, however on the same ticket I have used a couple splitshot about 4" above the baitloop and had fish after fish. Fishing the same areas and conditions.
I have also modified my baitloop by using a single easy egg instead of yarn. Just pull your tag end back thru the eye, impale the egg all the way past the eye and run the tag end back thru.
Must give a more natural presentation, who knows, but it works for me. Here is the proof.
164702_117756668293253_100001767619280_115851_16850_n.jpg
Once the problems facing the management of fish stocks are solved there will no longer be a need for fisheries managers.
Therefore the problem will never be solved.
Bushwhacker

Postby Roger66 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:13 pm

Sportco has them in several colors, sizes. They look like beads or corkies, but they are weights. As was said above, they get bait down faster when float fishing. I think any heavy duty tackle shop should have them in stock.
Roger66
Gamefishin.com
Gamefishin.com

Contributing Member: Subscribing Member

Postby STSGreen » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Sportco has them in the same aisle as the corkies and glo bug yarn . ive never used them, but from what i remember they have an assortment of colors and sizes
If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.
Everyone wants the big time, they just don't want to work for it.
STSGreen

Postby flint » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:43 pm

OR you could just make your own. Put a bunch of egg sinkers on a piece of line and paint them. I made lime green ones for chum ( no more crying about losing jigs!) and watermelon ones for fishing pink worms under a float for steelhead.
flint

Postby Stonefish » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:36 pm

Beau Mac makes lead bait cheaters. OE and Sportco both have them. Dedfish used to make round ones as well, but I'm not sure they are being produced any longer.
Like Flint said, super easy to make your own as well.
Stonefish

Postby wannafish » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Stonefish wrote:Beau Mac makes lead bait cheaters. OE and Sportco both have them. Dedfish used to make round ones as well, but I'm not sure they are being produced any longer.
Like Flint said, super easy to make your own as well.

Paint some egg sinkers and you have similar product.
http://www.wannafishalure.com/
Also on Facebook
What would have become of me had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the living!... be brave and of good courage and let your heart be stout and enduring...Psa 27:13-
wannafish
Gamefishin.com
Gamefishin.com

Postby River_Phisher » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:04 pm

flint wrote:OR you could just make your own. Put a bunch of egg sinkers on a piece of line and paint them. I made lime green ones for chum ( no more crying about losing jigs!) and watermelon ones for fishing pink worms under a float for steelhead.

What do you paint them with?

- Sir John
River_Phisher

Postby stlhdr42 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Some sort of powder coat paint they sell at fishin stores specifically for stuff like this. In a pinch I have painted jig heads and what not with finger nail polish.
Springer Fever
stlhdr42

Postby mitch184 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:38 pm

Bait weights works great in faster, deeper water or pocket water. I think they lose their benefit in slower salmon holes
Team Haters
Don't be a Gary
mitch184

Postby Gray Ghost » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:09 am

I have heard that Ded Fish Bait Weights are no longer available also. Here are some bait weight options:

Beau Mac Cheater Bait Weights
Brass Beads (in Nickle, Brass, Black Nickle finishes and painted (Vinyl or Powder Paint them)
Danielson Co. Slinky Shot with a hole, available in 1/4", 5/16", non-painted, painted (Vinyl or Powder Paint them) (Wholesale Sports)
Egg Weights, non-painted, painted (Vinyl or Powder Paint them)
Spit Shot, non-painted, painted (Vinyl or Powder Paint them)
Slinky Shot, drill a 1/16" hole in them, non-painted, painted (Vinyl or Powder Paint them)

I also use Dick Nite's UV Clear Coat (Fisherman's Lure-Coat) over the Brass Beads chrome finishes and after painting the bait weights.

I use bait weights a lot, almost always now, when I'm using bait or plastic worms for float fishing. A very effective float rigging to keep the bait or plastic worm down in the zone. Peg the bait weight when used above a threaded plastic worm, to keep the scrunching of the plastic worm to a minimum. I like using a folded piece of rubber band, pulled into the hole using a piece of folded mono., for a threader. Toothpick or weed wacker line of the right size, works well for pegging also. I'll use the smallest bait weight needed for the water being fished and sometimes additional weight above the barrel swivel if needed.
Last edited by Gray Ghost on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gray Ghost

Postby YamahaF934 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:03 am

River_Phisher wrote:
flint wrote:OR you could just make your own. Put a bunch of egg sinkers on a piece of line and paint them. I made lime green ones for chum ( no more crying about losing jigs!) and watermelon ones for fishing pink worms under a float for steelhead.

What do you paint them with?

Fingernail Polish.

You get weird looks buying pink fingernail polish but hey. . . it works. Tup:
YamahaF934

Postby swiftwaters » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Here are some fish That I caught using beau mac bait weights under a bobber with eggs, I like chartreuse or white for a contrast effect with the eggs. I have caught many more using them but these you can see them in their mouths. I really like them but a spilt shot 4-8 inches above the hook works just as well. I have also found that pegging the bait weights helps alot

swiftwaters

Postby River_Phisher » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:09 pm

swiftwaters wrote:Here are some fish That I caught using beau mac bait weights under a bobber with eggs, I like chartreuse or white for a contrast effect with the eggs. I have caught many more using them but these you can see them in their mouths. I really like them but a spilt shot 4-8 inches above the hook works just as well. I have also found that pegging the bait weights helps alot

Hey Swift, so how many jigs do I get when you win the Yakima bait contest? wink:

Nice fish BTW! Tup:

- Sir John
River_Phisher

Postby GURU » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Be careful though, and read the regs. I sent WDFW an email asking about using the weights, because I like to use them, with the rule of no weights within 12" of the hook, they told me that I could not use them for salmon fishing, but for steel head was fine, it falls under the anti-snagging/non buoyant lure rule.
Don't pay three times to fish, and don't buy net caught fish.......
Proud member and supporter of "Team Chuckaroni" & "Team Red Chronie"
GURU

Postby volynsky » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:46 pm

GURU wrote:Be careful though, and read the regs. I sent WDFW an email asking about using the weights, because I like to use them, with the rule of no weights within 12" of the hook, they told me that I could not use them for salmon fishing, but for steel head was fine, it falls under the anti-snagging/non buoyant lure rule.

sounds like the wrong answer from WDFW with regards to salmon versus steelhead

The anti snagging rule makes no distinction between salmon and steelhead.

The thing to keep in mind is that the antisnagging rule goes out of effect on most (but not all) rivers at the end of November, which is when winter steelhead are starting to run. So, the bait weights would clearly be legal at that point in time.

But during most of the summer and fall, when the antisnagging rule is in effect and when the salmon are running, use the bait weights at your own risk...
volynsky

Return to Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on the net