Login to not see the above advertisement. Joining the community is easy.

Lacey Wholesale Sports Closing

Proudly Sponsored By:
ImageImageImage

Lacey Wholesale Sports Closing

Postby carp2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Lacey Wholesale Sports will be closing around the 8th of March. Already starting to reduce prices of some items.
carp2

Re: Lacey Wholesale Sports Closing

Postby River Jim » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Hey maybe Jim Scott and Pat Frasier could be on hand for a couple days to sign autographs....I think WDFW should make an appearence....You know shake hands...met the people they are screwing....Hand out brochures how bad hatchery fish are on damed up rivers...How they are going to single handedly save the resource from the dreaded hatchery scourge.........RJ out.
River Jim

Postby River Jim » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:37 pm

This is sad...very frustrating and I feel sorry for the folks who are being layed off....God bless you and your families and I pray you will find emploment in short order.....Stay strong.......RJ out.
River Jim

Postby uhlern » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Kinda wierd they would go out of business when they just bought GI Joes.

I read somewhere that Sportsmans Warehouse was buying back the Federal way Wholesale sports location. I would think that would go for the lacey store as well.
uhlern

Postby eggster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:15 pm

That sucks. Theyre way better than cabelas imo.
I am the Eggman!!
eggster

Contributing Member: Yes 2009
Title: Hook's infamous Uncle Eggster!

Postby ClearCreek » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Info from another board on Wholesale Sports stores:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=443417

Could it just be going back to a Sportsmen Warehouse?

ClearCreek
ClearCreek

Postby eswan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Wow, that's a major bummer. Although I have started buying bulk from sportco and oe a while ago
eswan

Postby codliveroil » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:53 pm

RJ sometimes you jump on the band wagon at thwe wrong time , Some one posted just a short time ago they would be bought back By SW , Pat Frazier wasn't there , Which doesn't make hime any better , Just wasn't in the modst of that one ,
A good day ends with all bones and ligaments attached .
codliveroil

Postby Antlershed » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:07 am

Just talked to somebody who works at the Lacey location. Sportsman's Warehouse bought them out and let all of the employees go.
Antlershed

Postby The Peddler » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 am

The Wholesale Sports stores in WA, OR, ID, and MT (fourteen locations total) have been bought-back by Sportsmen's Warehouse. These were all formerly Sportsmen's Warehouse stores. UFA, the parent company to Wholesale Sports, made a bid to purchase Sportsman's about 5 years-ago when Sportsman's was in bankruptcy. UFA didn't like what they found during the discovery process, and took ownership of the 14 stores as they were the collateral for the down-payment. Long/Short, Sportsman's has made it out of bankruptcy, they have new owners, and they're on a growth initiative.

There are four Wholesale Sports locations that will close; Lacey, Burlington, and Spokane, WA plus Coeur d'Alene. This creates a void in the Thurston County sporting goods market, now basically leaving only Cabela's. Don't forget Fred Meyer though, they've drastically improved their sporting goods departments in many stores; Tumwater for example. Does it rival a Wholesale/Sportsman's? No, but it is a pretty good option for a lot of what we need. The Sunbirds stores in Yelm and Chehalis are very good as well.
Last edited by The Peddler on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Peddler

Postby GregE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:52 am

carp2 wrote:Lacey Wholesale Sports will be closing around the 8th of March. Already starting to reduce prices of some items.

Rats......
Greg

Do your part to protect fishing!!! Our grandkids deserve it.
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
GregE

Contributing Member: Yes 2008

Postby The Peddler » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 am

Antlershed wrote:Just talked to somebody who works at the Lacey location. Sportsman's Warehouse bought them out and let all of the employees go.

As-is the case with nearly any major acquisition, employees will be asked to re-apply for a job, if they'd like to stay. In this case, they'd have to go to another store.
The Peddler

Postby troutslayer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Sunbird in Chehalis is great. I'd assume the Yelm store is just as good. On a related note, does anyone here remember when there were small, family owned bait and tackle shops? Gone with the wind.....
troutslayer

Postby Chum Man » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:49 am

as much as i don't want to lose another sporting goods store, wholesale in lacey has sucked since they were bought from sportsman's, and was mediocre since they opened. in my opinion, it's a management thing, because the federal way store has always been better by leaps and bounds.

pretty bad when i can't even get a spool of line, or pack of hooks, because they've been sold out for months and not restocked. same goes for their hunting supplies, and their clothing selection has always been awful(nothing like finding something you want...but they only have 2, one in S and the other in XXXL). at least cabelas keeps things in stock, though they usually don't stock exactly what i'm wanting. i find myself going to sportco a couple times a year and stocking up instead most of the time.

it sure would be nice to have some local mom-n-pop stores around, but i just don't see it happening in this area. fishing's just too lousy to support it. tumwater sports was the last local shop, and they're gone. i don't mind paying a little more at places like that, but their prices were around twice as much as anywhere else, so it doesn't surprise me that they went out of business.

fred meyers used to have a great fishing tackle department...15 years ago. it's a joke now. same with walmart, when they opened in lacey they had 3 whole aisles of fishing gear, but it's down to 1 now and it's mostly junk that i'd never think of buying.
team captain, "better luck next time"
Chum Man

Postby epk11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:19 pm

The federal way one is better but not by much, the buyers are the reason there going out of business. they buy 80% bass stuff and how many people fish for bass in the PNW? not very many compared to the salmon, steelhead, kokanee, Sturgeon, and bottomfish anglers. I would know I use to work there and stock shelves everyday and all i would do is mark down all the bass gear and that was 80% of the inventory.
epk11

Postby River Jim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Cabeleas won't last either....Hunting in this state sucks and so does the fishing....RJ out.
River Jim

Postby Codfather » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:14 pm

River Jim wrote:Cabeleas won't last either....Hunting in this state sucks and so does the fishing....RJ out.

You have'nt been to Cabela's lately have you....alot of shoppers.
Codfather

Postby Bigtrks » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:26 pm

I hadn't been to lacey in along time . I stopped last month and I got the same story that made me stop in the first place !! Sorry we will have more next week
Bigtrks

Postby wilderness109 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:00 am

the one up here in burlington is supposedly closing too.
wilderness109

Postby MOFO » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:40 am

Are you surprised of more closures of sporting goods stores? Lets face it, the rivers are closing early and there are less and less fish! A few short years ago, I would still be fishing the Puyallup and Carbon and heading to Sportco a couple times a week...no more!
Currently I am fishing less and spending less at the stores.
Really getting turned off by the management skills (or lack of) WDFW. Am wondering if things are ever going to turn for the better. Not asking to much, other than perhaps what it was 4/5 years ago.
Very disturbing!
Moe
MOFO

Postby River Jim » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:54 pm

MOFO

Me too, fishing less and less...I'd rather be fising on the Cowlitz right this very minute but my sources say stay home...I don't mind spending the money on a decent fishery...however cost being what they are today, just going to take a boat ride is way to expensive.....RJ out.
River Jim

Postby Clockwork » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:02 pm

regarding the federal way location i couldnt tell any difference in customer service, selection or anything when they were sportmans warehouse vs wholesale sports. same store, same products, same layout, same everything.

i am not a big cabelas shopper but i am amazed the sportsmans warehouse in lacey lasted this long after the cabelas installment.
posted via stationary device
Clockwork

Postby kydikabbit » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:52 pm

So folks are expecting a fairly small community like Olympia/Tumwater/Lacey to support not 1, but 2 large sporting goods stores? When there is ony 1 in Tacoma, 1 in Seattle, 1 in Everett, etc... I never figured both would make it.

Before they were even open for business, I recall asking some of the Sportsman's Warehouse management how they were going to compete with Cabelas. They laughed and said they were going to kick Cabelas butt. Me thinks they were wrong and got their butt kicked.

Personally, I would trade both of them for a Bob's Sporting Goods (your bait sucks and your boat's ugly!). I'll keep looking at Cabelas first, and then driving up to Sportco when Cabelas doesn't have it, just like I did yesterday.
kydikabbit

Postby fishslave » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:57 pm

I don't want to know how much my hubby spent at Cabela's in the last year.

I refuse to go there on weekends anymore. It's as bad as going to one of the malls at Christmas. Not very many customers leaving empty handed either. Maybe it's all those "preppers"! :mrgreen:

We've bought some tackle and a few boat related items, but mostly we bought hunting, clothing, cooking/curing/smoking related stuff.
Until the 1940s, the whole world ate organic all the time!
fishslave
Gamefishin.com
Gamefishin.com

Postby GregE » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Went there today- all "Wholesale Sports" brand items are 50%$ off. NOt much else- some red tagged items are still the same price.
Greg

Do your part to protect fishing!!! Our grandkids deserve it.
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
GregE

Next

Return to Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on the net